Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 am

LOL - I don't really believe in the theory that male birds like women and female birds like men. My Zoey was raised by a man and it took years for her to accept my husband - and this is not the only example, I've had many female birds that preferred me over him. But my husband comment was because he doesn't realize that Cheeks is on his honeymoon period - and I did not explain this to him when he said it because I always want him to like the birds. But he already changed his mind and now labeled him a 'normal' parrot because, this morning, Cheeks wanted to eat the blueberries off Davy's bowl as I was putting out the produce so I left him there but, once he finished, he went down to the floor and, as he reached my husband, promptly tried to climb up his leg hanging on to my husband's flannel pajama pants legs and, as he was doing this, he was using his beak as a hand and must have grabbed a bit too deep and actually got to his skin which made my husband raised his leg in the air and shake it screaming that he was 'biting' him [my husband is a real wuss when it comes to parrots]. So I ran to them and put my hand for him to step up, which he did, but he also gave me a bite that broke the skin. This, of course, changed my husband's mind about him even though I explained that it was all his fault for scaring the poor bird with his screams and leg shaking when, if he had only stayed put and quiet and simply called me calmly to come and get him, nothing would have happened.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Well, the second thanksgiving was a complete success and now I need a week to recuperate from it :lol: The birds all came out to meet the company one by one and they were all very much OHHHHHH, AWWWWW and AHHHHHH over! Their personal tales were told, their quirks and funnies shared and they all behaved like little gentlemen and ladies with Sweetpea regaling them with his repertoire of phrases and words and Mami singing opera for them :lol: So, all in all, a complete success and a good opportunity for me to warm them about getting parrots unless they have the time and willingness to work and study on them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:38 pm

That's great!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:13 pm

I've been meaning to tell you about this and I keep on forgetting. Poor Harley is not doing well... His left foot, the one that he had been favoring seems to be completely paralyzed now as far as I can tell - and now, his right foot has no strength in it. It's not paralyzed completely because he still moves it when you touch his toes but he can't grab the perches with it. I found him on the bottom of the cage one morning so I took it out of it and put him in a little one with a soft bottom and heat on the hope that he had twisted it or something but, although he was eating and drinking, his foot did not get better so, this morning, I put him back in the flight cage because being alone is one of the worst things you can do for a budgie. He did fly up to different perches and tried to sit on them but he kept on slipping and would end up hanging from them by his beak until he fell down [he did not fall like a rock or anything like that, he actually flew down]. I palpated his abdomen to see if it was that it was an accumulation of ascites from his liver disease that was maybe pressing on his sciatic nerve although, normally, it's advanced kidney disease that does it but it did not feel 'puffy' to me. I am putting platforms in the flight cage so he can rest on them and I might take him to the vet for an XRay but, in truth, I doubt that an accurate diagnosis [if they can even reach one] would help in any way as he is getting the right diet and supplements for both liver and kidney malfunction. I think short of keeping him comfortable for now and putting him down when he no longer eats or drinks is pretty much the only thing that can be done. Poor little Harley, he was so happy in his little flock...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Poor little guy
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:28 am

I know :cry: I feel so helpless and impotent when I have a bird in the last stages of whatever... But he still eats like a champ! He is always the first one to the gloop dish which is a very flat one so he can easily reach the food in it and I also put a little shallow dish I normally use for cut up fruit and veggies with water for him so he doesn't have to perch on the side of a bowl to drink. But he has not gone up to the platforms, he insists on trying to perch on the branches or lays on the floor of the cage...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:50 am

YAAAAYYY! He's using the platforms! I saw him fly up to one of them twice this morning.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:59 am

Pajarita wrote:YAAAAYYY! He's using the platforms! I saw him fly up to one of them twice this morning.

I made a platform for our pair of yellow-collared Macaws. One has only one leg. They don't perch on it, they just chew it to shreds. I've given up, but maybe I should keep putting them in there. Maybe I should make one out of plastic. I just don't know what would happen if they chewed that up. I figured it would be bad for them.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:11 pm

I use metal grids [the kind that has little 'squares' made out of wire] covered with magazines made out of the same paper they use for newspapers and which have no staples - they are the car or real estate little catalogs you get for free at the entrance or exit to the supermarket. They all chew them but I just tear a few pages out and put them back until there is only a couple of pages left and then I replace it with a new one. Works out great for me! Both Pablo and Codee and the budgies have them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Everybirdy doing well except for poor Harvey which is still hanging on but which hasn't gotten better at all. He is still eating, drinking, pooping and flying but his legs continue not to work. Thankfully, he is now using the platforms regularly and last night was the second night in a row that he went to sleep on one of them because, although he was using them during the day, he was still sleeping on the floor of the cage which is not good for him as it's stressful. I moved the three platforms I put for him around until I fond the three best spots and exchanged a flat one for one that has a very open V shape [it's the roof of a cage that brought budgies] which I cover with a magazine. I figured this shape would work out better for him as he lays down when he sleeps but, because one leg is a bit stronger than the other, he kept on ending up leaning more to one side than the other -which I did not like- so this works out great because he kind of 'falls' into the V and the sides help him remain straight.

I have changed the name of the new caique to Javi [pronounced the Spanish way Havee] because this is the sound he uses over and over to call attention to himself. He is doing extraordinarily well! Hasn't bit me since my husband scared him, eats like a champ and has 'discovered' new goodies he never had before [like blueberries and blackberries], flew on his own initiative twice to go from point A to point B [he keeps on walking way too much though but it's still very early], got his own routine [he likes to snooze a bit on my lap and under my top when I do the computer -like right now :D ] and got on Zoey's bad side by trying to get her to move from my shoulder while he was there which was a real bad idea! Zoey has learned to share me with other birds but she does NOT allow insurgency in any way so, as long as the other bird knows I belong to her first and gets out of her way when she decides to perch on my shoulder, he or she can remain on me BUT confront her and you will get her wrath! This rebellion of his resulted in Zoey watching him like a hawk and periodically picking a fight with him so we had two confrontations already. Neither of them was hurt at all but I have to keep my eye on them all the time and intervene occasionally to keep the peace. It's OK, it's just a matter of time as things have calmed down a bit already and I have been able to avoid escalation by moving him to another location and sternly telling her: "I am WATCHING YOU!!" as well as a couple of "BE NICE!" for good measure.

Katy, the lady who needed somebody to take care of her grays took them to the vet as I requested and is coming next Wednesday. I'll tell you how that goes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales