Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Navre » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:16 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling better. I hope you have a good time.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 am

Thank you, John. Unfortunately, I am not feeling that much better (I spent last night sitting up - not because I couldn't breathe but because I couldn't stop coughing) and, when I mentioned that I might not be able to travel everybody had a conniption (sight). To make matters worse, we are having a snow storm and I can't find my doctor (there were signs saying the office was moving but now I don't know if he has retired or what).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:08 pm

I've been trying and trying to take pictures of the wild quakers but they are super fast fliers and there are so many trees in the parks where they mostly live in the city that, by the time I have the camera pointing up, they have already dissappeared into the canopy. I will try again in Punta del Este and Piriapolis (beach resorts to the East) but, if I can't find a nest or are unable to photo them, I will make a video so you can, at least, hear them squawking in the trees (and this should be fairly easy because there are a lot of them and they squawk all the time :lol: ). We are also going to go to La Pedrera and La Paloma -which are even more to the East and North- and I might be able to catch some Nandays and/or blue crowned conures there... We'll see.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:52 am

Incommunicado for the last three days or so because my brother's beach cabin doesn't have internet but I am back, everbirdy survived in one piece and I am now typing with four of them on me :lol: . More news to come but I need to catch up a bit with the chores (although my poor husband did an excellent job cleaning yesterday all day so I would find a clean house when I arrived last night) and to spend extra time with the animals - mostly the birds because the dogs are already back to their usual behavior after going crazy last night but I didn't get to see the birds at all because I got home after 9 pm and everybody was -or should have been- asleep.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:11 am

Well, there are bad news and there are potential good news. The bad news is that Paquita died. I found her dead inside her nest/box yesterday morning. She had been fine the day before, completely normal, eating, drinking, pooping, etc. so she must have died in her sleep from a heart attack or some other sort of cardio vascular event... So Rajah is now up for adoption and there are two people who replied and both have females that lost their mates so I am now waiting for details like diet, light schedule, set-up, fly time, breeding or not breeding, etc.

I've also seem to have identified a male GCC for Codee. I've been looking and looking everywhere: CL, rescueme and kijiji and I found a 20 day old ad for a mint green male - this mutation would not have been my first choice because I don't like 'pale' mutations but I don't really care about their looks so, as long as she likes him, I will be happy. I am also waiting for a reply as to price and pick up coordination.

Aside from that, everybody doing well -I am the one spread too thin because of Codee not having anybody but it's temporary.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Well, no luck on the GCC, the man wanted $400 for him -which is ridiculous as babies are going for $200 in NYC. The bird's claim to glory and the reason for his high price is the fact that he is not a common mutation but, in all honesty, I find him not attractive at all -not that it matters what they look like to me! And one of the ladies interested in Rajah for her female keeps them at a 12L/12D schedule and feeds them cheap pellets and seeds so, obviously NOT good for my Rajah! I am thinking of getting him a female and then rehoming them as a pair to somebody I know who does not feed right but might be willing to learn... We'll see.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:36 am

I have to post a long update but I just wanted to bring you up to date with the search for a home for Rajah and a mate for Codee - and it seems that I might be able to get her a mate. I found a 'left-over' male baby that never found a home (he is now almost an adult at near 2 years of age), plucked and pecked by the other GCCs at a breeder in Pa. I don't like the idea that I am buying from a breeder but the poor thing is in a very stressing situation (I've never heard of a plucking young adult GCC!) and nobody wants him because of the way he looks and the fact that he grew up to almost adulthood withount human interaction. As to Rajah... well, I got lots and lots AND LOTS of people interested in him and despite the fact that I said very clearly on the ad that he will ONLY go to a home where he will have company of its own species and good care, most of them did not even have another plet! Of course, they claimed that they would keep him company - as if a human could actually give a teeny tiny bird the kind of 24/7/365 company he needs! I do have one single possibility: a lady I know who has taken passerines from me in the past. She is a school teacher with a Masters in Biology who loves birds (her vacations are always to places like Costa Rica for ecotourism sightseeing birds) but she doesn't have a female plet for him so both me and her are looking for one and, if we find it, I will go check out her home (because caring for passerines is one thing but caring for parrots is another!).

Will keep you on the loop and will also come back and post a longer update.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:41 am

Picking up Codee GCC potential new mate tomorrow and I am 99% sure I found a good home for Rajah (coordinating home inspection to make sure things are as I was told)! Will keep you informed!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:20 am

Rushing through things so we can leave early enough to get there on time (it's about 2 hours away from us).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:38 am

Something happened because some pages got lost...

But, anyway, I just wanted to let you know that Andy GCC is now in the same cage with Codee GCC and they are doing GREAT!!! I was tired of waiting for the quarantine to end (I couldn't let him out all the time because he is parent-raised and never had any social interaction with people) so I took him to the vet last week along with a dog that needed an MRI and a cat that needed an XRay (and you do NOT want to know how much this bill came to!!) and, although I did not test for disease (see explanation below), he did get blood work and came back all good. I started by letting them out together and he was following her everywhere so, yesterday, I put them together and, two hours later, they were perching side by side and he was rubbing the top of his head on her cheek so she started preening him! SUCCESS!!!! I was so happy that, if I had not had a painful back, I would have danced for joy! :danicing: :danicing:

The reason why I did not wait for a longer quarantine is that:
1) he showed no sign whatsoever of disease: good appetite, good poop, no discharge from anywhere, no labored breathing, strong flight, plucked but good plumage in terms of feather integrity, etc
2) this is a juvenile that lived with the breeder all his short life so, if the breeder had had diseased birds, he would have gotten whatever it was and would not have made it. Babies never do. The ones that make it and remain asymptomatic carriers (which is the big danger when taking in a new bird) always contract the disease when already an adult (which he is not yet).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales