Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby liz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:06 am

It is always traumatizing to get up in the morning and find that one of the babies did not survive the night. They did not show any signs and were active the day before. I could have kicked myself for not seeing something was wrong but they hide it so good. Sweetie's passing was the worst. I loved her and she was a valuable bird in the little flock. What Shadow did did not help how I felt and messed up what happiness the other birds had.

I always feel so bad and blame it on myself for not being alert enough to see what was going on.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:23 am

Liz don't beat yourself up , birds are the best at hiding anything that is wrong until it's usually too late. My scales are my best defense against something being wrong but I'm not sure if the same applies to smaller flock birds as it would probably be hard to catch and weigh everyday and stress them out. I don't know how tame your fids are but mine get weighed everyday. I'm probably the most OCD person checking them all over everyday , weighing and monitoring food consumption . I drive myself crazy :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:15 pm

Now it's time for an update on the others.

Codee GCC and Pablo PFC are doing great in their large flight cage - much better than I anticipated, actually! Pablo had slowly become more at ease with me and, although I was still a bit anxious about putting him in a human area where there are also dogs and cats, I wanted to try it out because being in a room without people was not fair to Codee. But it worked out wonderfully! He climbs all over the cage -even comes out every now and then- and is completely unfazed by the dogs or the cats or even the other birds perching on top of their cage.

Peachy and Jerry Lovie are on their second clutch (five eggs in this one!) and, as male lovebirds always are, he is a VERY devoted husband, feeding her in her beak and even taking turns inside the nest. She comes out to fly every day (not him because it's a hassle to get him back in but more about this below) and, when she is ready to go back in (hungry!), she flies to my shoulder so I can put her back in the cage where she promptly perches on a lower stick and raises her head with an open beak for him to feed her (high maintenance wife, isn't she? :lol:). When Keeta and Rajah come to me, I think I am going to clip both the males so I can train them to step up to a stick. I abhor the idea of clipping a bird but I can't think of any other way to do this because I need them to go back into their cage before I can let the cats out of their room and both Jerry and Rajah are so little and wild that the only way to accomplish this is to go after them and towel them because I can't let them out in the afternoon and trick them with their dinner seeds inside their cage until the summer when my grandkids are out of school and they no longer need me to babysit. I also figure that, if I do it now, they will molt at least two of the four feathers I am planning on cutting at the end of the summer so they won't be clipped for more than a few months.

Zoey and Sweetpea Sennie are doing VERY well. They don't have sex and he doesn't feed her in her beak but they perch, eat and chill together without Zoey lunging at him and he has been chewing up the new nest I gave them so everything is good.

Isis ARB is becoming more and more attached to me, which is good in one sense but not so good in another because I want her to bond to Davy ARB - who pays more attention to Zoey than he does to Isis! But she is eating a large variety of produce and even greens on an almost daily basis! Funny how different species, even belonging to the same family, are so different when it comes to diet. Both the redbellies and the sennies are pois but I haven't been able to get the sennies to eat any greens (even though they've been getting them for years and years) while both the redbellies do with relish. And it's no credit to me, mind you!, because I do the same with everybirdy and, while Zoey grew up eating chop and then gloop and raw produce, Isis ate only nuts, green beans and dried papaya for years before coming here. She was also quite nesty for a while... she chewed up my husband's heavy jacket zipper and found my everyday pocketbook to be her idea of a perfect 'nest' so she not only chewed the zipper on it but made confetti out of everything I had in there, including most of my wallet! :lol: Davy ARB is also doing VERY well! He says "Good morning!" every morning when I uncover his cage and, when I say "Nite Nite" when I cover it, he immediately replies "I love you!" (I tell all of them "Nite nite - I love you!" every night so he finishes it up for me) and makes a long kiss sound :lol: He is a GREAT eater and very, very smart -he likes to fly to Pookey's cage which makes her complain so I walk over to the dining room door to tell him "SHOOOO" but he just looks at me waiting for me to move my hand to the lock of the gate that separates the kitchen from the diningroom to fly away -naughty boy! This morning, he also gave me a good bite in my right ear. He has been flying to my shoulder more and more often but he usually only stays there for a minute or two before taking off again. This morning, he stayed -which made me suspicious but I did not do anything because I ALWAYS give them the benefit of the doubt- and, all of a sudden BAM! Little devil gave me a good bite, piercing the cartilage with the tip of his upper beak (I actually heard the crunch noise the cartilage made when he broke it) which left a V shaped wound. It's OK, they do these things when they first start to 'connect' with their new human... I don't know if it's that they are checking to see how far they can go, if it's a way of establishing 'ownership' or if it's a matter of them getting used to the different movements their new human does (I was trying to catch a canary inside its cage to move it to a clean one) but it stops after a while so no biggie.

The old ladies, Naida and Mami Zon, are doing very well. They've been chewing up a storm of cardboard boxes and both have plucked chests, courtesy of Mami who does her own and Naida's! I never have any issues with them, they eat well, they bathe without a problem, they don't bother other birds, the step up and down without a problem, they never bite, etc. They are very good girls both of them.

Pookey appears to be the tiniest bit better but I still hope I could find her a home where she could do better... I've been looking for months, posted in CL twice already and in three different areas, got lots and lots of replies (of course, this was an AD for a free grey!) and out of all the replies, I considered three people. One I liked because he worked part time, owned his house, had experience with 'a lot of different animals' (I figured he was an animal lover, right?) and currently had a macaw. The other had a cockatoo, lived with his mother in a separate apartment, used to volunteer at a reptile rescue and also worked part time. The third is a lady who owns other parrots, had excellent avian vet references (she has a very sick CAG), owns her house and works in a school a few blocks from her house. Well, the first one, the one I thought was an animal lover, was a young man who smelled of cigarettes (not good), did not really own his house (his mother did) and worked part time at Home Depot making deliveries (not stable and not enough money) and who stuck his hand in her cage (which, of course, she did not like AT ALL!) while saying that he could have her stepping up in one week. When I asked him about his macaw, he proceeded to show me pictures of himself and all the other animals he had had experience with: ferrets (which he got rid of because he did not have enough time for them), a quaker (perching on his knee while he had a cigarette in his hand) and which he gave away to a relative, a mini pig (which he also gave away because he couldn't housebreak him), a German Shepherd (also no longer there because he also could not housebreak) and two other dogs, one of them a husky which had killed a CAG he used to have but which he assured me was crated all the time because of that :shock: . I don't need to tell you that there was no way in hell he was going to get Pookey, do I?

The second one passed the first visit. He showed me pictures of his cockatoo, did not stick his hand in Pookey's cage but talked softly to her, etc. so I coordinated with him to do a home inspection. Well.... The apartment in his mother's house was a small portion of the basement of the house that was not only small but also crowded with stuff all over. He had his mother's cats there (I saw five of them) and there was no wall, no door, nothing that would keep them away from the birds when they were out. He had gotten a cage for her but it was a canary flight cage (no good as the bar gauge was way too narrow) and, because it was used, he has spray painted it! His cockatoo was not there ('visiting' a friend) which made me very suspicious because I had told him very clearly that I wanted to see his bird and how he interacted with it but her cage was - it was another canary cage (bad), on the floor (bad) and also painted with spray paint (bad) and with two food bowls, one with peanuts and another one with the cheapest parrot mix (bad). The too had one single stand, one made out of some sort of iron rod that had been tied to a garden fountain stand - now, I have NOTHING against homemade stuff for parrots but there was not a single piece of wood anywhere for this bird to chew and the stand stood only 20 or 25 inches off the floor! But what really made me decide he was not the person for Pookey was the fact that every single comment I made about the cage (the only thing I actually said anything about), he kept on saying: "I don't see anything wrong with it!" We all make mistakes and we all need to improve our husbandry so it's not as if I expect people to do exactly what I do or to take my word for anything but, if there is one thing that I do not compromise on is attitude. If he had said something like: "Oh, do you really think this cage could be dangerous to her? I don't think so but I will check it out and, if you are right, I will make sure I get her a safe one" I would have considered him but his dismissing my concerns without even checking to see if I was right nixed his chances of him ever getting her.

The lady sounds great. She recently clipped her birds but did it because her CAG is very sick with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and was getting stressed out by the other birds flying to her cage so, although she doesn't really clip, she decided to do it until her gray passes away and I understand her point. She feeds fresh food, doesn't work all day long, has a stable situation and, apparently, enough financial resources to take care of her animals but her car is not running so I'll have to wait until she is able to come over and see her.

Precie and Zeus Zon are doing great. They have gotten used to coming out of their cage and going back inside when I tell them to, continue to eat well and chew everything they can get their beaks on into confetti.

Sophie is also doing very well and I don't know if I am seeing things that are not there or what but it seems to me that she has made friends with Linus Too! She is still hormonal because she has been asking for attention and hanging on to my clothes while sticking her head under them, sometimes even hanging upside down from the neck of my clothes so she can dip her head down my chest which is not the most comfortable thing while you are trying to clean cages! But she is always the sweetest thing, never giving any trouble and now, she is sharing her dish and perching spots with Linus Too who has become very demanding of my attention following me around like a puppy. He has also been chewing up the new flooring in the birdroom so my husband is going to replace or patch the holes he's made this coming Wednesday and Thursday (he is working tomorrow to Tuesday) but that's a normal occurrence around here...

Everybody else -finches, cardinal, quail, canaries- are doing well. I am going to set up a single pair of canaries breeding this coming week because I have good homes for three of them (one female and two males). It's going to be Maria for sure but I don't know if the male is going to be Luciano or Luca - we'll see...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:31 pm

I've never had much luck posting on Craig's list as I don't charge to rehome a bird ,it seems they crawl right out of the woodwork even though I don't say for free . The first question out of there mouths is usually how much and I guess that troubles me. So are you going to start breeding canaries now ? Your going to have a bigger house full with wolfs birds , let us know how they are doing , I'm sure he's smiling down on you for providing a home for his babies. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:46 am

Oh, I've been breeding canaries for a loooong time (30 years?) only I stopped doing it every year because, believe it or not and as easy as canaries are to care for, it's hard to find good homes for them so I only do it now when I have good homes lined up for the babies. I now have good homes for three and I only allow four eggs per clutch and a single clutch per year so I will be able to place all of them without a worry. I also wanted to do it before Luciano gets any older -he is 5 now and at his very prime.

Yes, Wolf's little ones are supposed to be coming next Saturday and I'll let you know how they do. I am going to try and find an old hen for Harley and try to put Keeta and Rajah together... I think that the reason why Rajah got aggressive with Keeta was a small cage and/or lack of a nest but we will see.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:47 am

Well, Harley, Paquita and Rajah are here. Michael and Mariana (such a good looking couple!) brought them last evening. I had two of the cages I use for the canaries ready for them and they were put in but I kept Rajah in the cage he came in until this morning when I allowed him to join Paquita (and she immediately started preening his head :D ). They haven't eaten any gloop so far but that might be due to the fact that they are in a strange home AND that I left budgie seed mix in their cage for them to eat early in the am because they wouldn't eat any last night.

It was already dark when Michael and Mariana arrived and you all know I am a maniac when it comes to the solar schedule so they couldn't really see the birds very well (and I was so looking forward to showing them to Michael!) but I made an exception and turned on my dining room chandelier (I just unscrewed some of the bulbs so it would not be a bright light) to introduce them. We also went upstairs and peeked inside the birdroom without actually going in. Unfortunately, they were all settled down for the night but, as soon as I opened the door to the birdroom and allowed some light to go in, Linus immediately perked up and gave them a loud HELLO! :lol:

So VERY grateful to Michael and Mariana who had such a loooong Sunday flying back and forth to bring the little ones to me - and Michael would not accept a single penny to help out with the expenses!

Mariana took a video, I think, so you might see a bit of the very nice visit -if I had known I would have worn some makeup :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:18 pm

So glad everything went well, and make-up is over rated anyway! :lol: keep us posted BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby alienlady » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:29 am

That's terrific news so glad everything went well. Michael and Marianna must be exhausted!
Make up ? I've given up with that , I 'd need a plasterer to apply it :lol:
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:37 am

Yes, so glad that everyone is doing well and happy.

I believe bringing my birds to this house that they really enjoyed watching the dogs play.
The Amazons both started out on the dining room table. Rainbow did not have a cage and would go to the edge of the table to watch the dogs. Myrtle came from a really quiet, almost like a morge. I was concerned to bring her into my kaos from her quiet. I put her little cage on the dining room table but left the door open and she did just what Rainbow did. There is excitement in the activity and they picked up on it.

I would never rehome from CL. That is how I found my misfit cockatiels. I would use http://www.rescueme.com instead.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 am

I am checking in rescueme, too, Liz, but, so far, I haven't seen a single female in there. I will keep on looking until I find one - don't worry.

Well, the plets ate all their gloop yesterday and, this morning, Paquita immediately climbed down to eat the orange slice they got today for their fruit (she even bit chunks out of the peel -thank goodness I wash ERVERYTHING in warm water and soap!). She did not touch the romaine or the green pepper but she started chowing down the gloop as soon as I put it in the cage. Rajah stayed on the highest perch but I am sure he's coming down once I am not around. Harley did not touch the gloop all day yesterday but ate his (very small) portion of budgie seed last night. This morning, he went straight for the romaine but did not touch the pepper, the orange or the gloop even though I made sure he was getting mostly grains and I mixed some finch seed into it. He needs to eat the gloop because that's where I put most of the liver supplements he needs but I am not really worried as I know he will. If he doesn't, I will make a special 'first step' gloop for him...

As to the make-up, yes, I also need a heavy hand with it but I am an expert plasterer :lol: And, :( once I am done with my 'little bag of miracles', I do look better - I am too 'washed-out' without it... white hair, white eyebrows, white face :roll: .
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales