Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:59 am

:lol: Yes, I am! Far away that it would take the entire day for me to go to Boston or even halfway and come back and I can't leave my animals unattended for so long. For one thing, the birds would only come out for an hour or two and, even though that is something that I could live with if it was a super exception, I also have this crazy dog I found on the street (Oggie, the Havanese] that has messed up my life BIG TIME because I am the only one who can handle him without getting bit. I used to pay a neighbor or ask my daughter to come over and let the dogs out in the middle of the day whenever I had to go somewhere far but neither one can do it now. But, ;) ;) if you want to come over for a visit to meet me and my animals, you are more than welcome ;) ;) I'll even cook an Uruguayan meal for you and all! :D :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:51 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, just for my fantasy life... what would that Uruguayan meal be??????
*slobber, slobber, slobber* Sorry!
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 am

I would, most likely, make something that a gringo would not find outright disgusting :lol: What Uruguayans love best is an 'asado': BBQ made with wood charcoal consisting of tiritas [similar to short ribs], chorizos [sausages], morcillas [blood sausages], chinchulines [small intestines turned inside out], molleja [sweetbread], choto [large intestine, usually stuffed], etc -and, if it's during the Yerra [annual roundup of cattle to vaccinate, castrate, etc], also testicles (see this: https://mario837.files.wordpress.com/20 ... 3small.jpg]. We accompany this with chimichurri and two different kinds of salads: rusa [meaning 'russian' and made out of diced potatoes and carrots with peas and mayonnaise] and 'mixta' (lettuce and tomato].

But, for gringos, I usually either make 'finger' food like beef as well as chard empanadas, pascualina (one of my husband's favorite dishes and one he says nobody makes it like I do :lol: it's like a big pie made out with a dough like fillo with spinach and sausage filling - similar to the Greek spanakopita], roll-ups of 'jamon con melon' [cantaloupe slices rolled up in prosciutto], tortilla de papas [potatoes and eggs thick 'frittata-like' thing], huevos rellenos [like deviled eggs but made with tuna], etc. because these are all buffet style foods that are 'recognizable' and most everybody likes. For a sit-down I would, most likely, make two kinds of Canelones (like the Italian cannelloni but made with crepes instead of pasta dough], spinach with béchamel, and beef with both tomato sauce as well as béchamel or cappeletti a la Caruso (a tortellini-like pasta recipe made with a heavy cream, prosciutto and egg sauce developed by a chef when Enrico Caruso came to Uruguay to sing]. But, if you ask my children, they would all vote for mejillones a la Provenzal (mussels] and my 'guiso de mondongo' [tripe and sausage stew -another specialty of mine] with a flan for dessert, while the grandkids would go for the milanesas a caballo (fried breaded beef cutlets with fried eggs on top] with papas fritas [French fries] -they love to dip the French fries in the liquid yolk of the eggs.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 am

Well, as half-Latina/half-Gringa, I would fell somewhere in the middle.

YES to the 'asado' and tiritas and chorizos, but pass on the morcillas, etc. The Rusa sounds wonderful!!!!
And YES to the empanadas and pascualina!!!! I would especially love to try the huevos rellenos and jamon con melon. The Gringa half of me doesn't want tripe, and I just never liked mussels or clams, BUT... can't go wrong with flan!!!!!! I love it with whipped cream or ice cream!!!!!

I AM SO HUNGRY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 am

:lol: Yes, achuras [internal organs] and blood are not things that Americans are used to. There aren't even that many that eat liver while we literally use every single part of a cow - and I do mean the whole thing from the horns to the tip of the tail - we even eat the brains! Funny thing is, if you don't tell them what it is and they happen to taste it, they like it! I have made lengua a la vinagreta (tongue in vinaigrette] and the gringos who have tried it [it's served cold as an appetizer in very thin slices covered in the vinaigrette and chopped hard boiled eggs] without knowing what it was [they think it's a cold cut] thought it was delicious! :lol: My maternal grandmother [the bird lover] had a saying: "El que prueba repite y el que averigua no paga" (he who tastes it wants seconds, and he who finds out doesn't pay]
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:52 am

Pajarita wrote::lol: Yes, achuras [internal organs] and blood are not things that Americans are used to. There aren't even that many that eat liver while we literally use every single part of a cow - and I do mean the whole thing from the horns to the tip of the tail - we even eat the brains! Funny thing is, if you don't tell them what it is and they happen to taste it, they like it! I have made lengua a la vinagreta (tongue in vinaigrette] and the gringos who have tried it [it's served cold as an appetizer in very thin slices covered in the vinaigrette and chopped hard boiled eggs] without knowing what it was [they think it's a cold cut] thought it was delicious! :lol: My maternal grandmother [the bird lover] had a saying: "El que prueba repite y el que averigua no paga" (he who tastes it wants seconds, and he who finds out doesn't pay]

Somewhat related: I used to tell them at the firehouse that I would eat anything but tripe. When someone would try to tell me how good tripe was, I'd respond with something like, "Aren't there dogs that need to be fed? The lining of the cow's stomach? Why would I eat that? I live in the richest society the world has ever known, and food couldn't be more abundant! I'm not eating the lining of a cow's stomach. Go get another cow!"
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:23 pm

:lol: Yes, it sounds, looks and even smells terrible when you are cooking it but, if the stew is done correctly, it's delish! But it's one of those things that you can't 'disguise' because it looks weird so unless you grew up on it or are very adventurous, people don't want to try.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Pajarita wrote::lol: Yes, it sounds, looks and even smells terrible when you are cooking it but, if the stew is done correctly, it's delish! But it's one of those things that you can't 'disguise' because it looks weird so unless you grew up on it or are very adventurous, people don't want to try.

All the Italian guys love it.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby galeriagila » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm

And then there are chicharrones... favorites of snacking Latinos AND Gringos everywhere!!!!!!! Many, if not most Gringos don't know what they're made of, I don't believe. My in-laws didn't, until I told them!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby liz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 am

WOW. It is almost worth the trip to try your cooking. I am adventurous. I even eat foods that I don't really care about when cooking for someone else. So far liver is the only thing I can't deal with.''
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales