Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:55 am

The not having to clean many cages was what I loved about my birdroom in Pa. There were a few cages there (for the handicapped birds that couldn't fly) but nothing like I have nowadays. Geez! It seems as if I spend half my life cleaning cages and the other half washing dishes... but I might get a dishwasher soon (HOPEFULLY!!!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Bird woman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:25 pm

I bought about 30 stainless steel dishes at a restaurant supply place and my dishwasher is always going , I don't know how you do it without one. :shock: I have to have the bottoms of the cages where they can't get to it ,they run around trying to scrounge each other's leftovers from the night before I get the new egg crates in them. Nice thing about having a Resturant is a never ending supply of egg flats you can fit them in like a puzzle and take that piece out when dirty then the housekeeper pulls the cages apart 3 times a week and disinfects. {I'd die without her }these cages are huge and you have to climb inside some of them. :lol: (she's young) besides my birds are piggys and always packing food ,wood whatever will fit in there mouths around the house. :violin: :thumbsup BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:11 am

I feed my flock on a big tray on the floor. There is room for all of the to eat at the same time.

When I got Gimpy his wings were clipped. Why would anyone clip the wings on a bird that cannot walk or even stand up. I put him in budgy cage on the floor with the door open. I fed him inside the cage because he could not get to the tray. Instead of perches I put platforms in for them to sit higher. Phoenix can walk but can't fly. He moved in with Gimpy to get more service and so Gimpy would not feel alone.

I took the bottom off that cage and put paper under it to have fast cleaning.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:30 pm

The things people do to these birds :shock: your baby's are so luckey they found you!!!! :thumbsup: Honestly I'm luckey I haven't ended up in jail over the condition some of my fids have been brought to me in. But 90% of the time they say somebody else did it. :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:47 pm

A lovely old gentleman I met many years ago ran a cat rescue. He told me he learnt to bite his tongue and not criticise anyone when collecting a cat in poor condition.
He said if you upset them they might not sign the cat over to the rescue and then it would end up being dumped or stay in appalling conditions. He told me he waited till he had got the cat in the car and safely driving home then cursed the previous owners all the way home.
I remembered this when we fetched Jess a lovely sweet ñatured ginger cat whose fur was like felt carpet underlay it was that matted. The owner reckoned they were emigrating and she was a bit matted as she hadn't had time to brush her. Took three days of careful snipping to get her comfy and doses of liquid parrafin to unblock her from furballs.
She was due to the vets for an operation to remove the blockage when the paraffin worked and she passed solid fur in the cat tray.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:44 pm

Oh Lord, please don't get me started on the things that people do to animals! I did cat, dog and bird rescue full time for six years and the things you see and hear are enough to make you disown humanity as a whole!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:13 pm

I have to cover my eyes when the Humane Society commercials come on tv. I don't know how you all do it...
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby liz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:43 pm

galeriagila wrote:I have to cover my eyes when the Humane Society commercials come on tv. I don't know how you all do it...

I switch the channel real fast. I realize there are many people who need to be told about the neglect and abuse. I take in anything that needs me no matter how bad they are. I cannot help the ones on TV so I cannot watch them. This is when I have to put on the rose colored glasses or my heart could be ripped out of me.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:49 pm

I don't watch TV so never see any.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 am

We donate on a monthly basis to both the HSUS and the SPCA but I also don't watch the commercials because, if I do, I can't get the pictures out of my mind for days and days and days...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales