Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Well, as usual, the breeding season brings a mixed bag of news. One thing that I am sure of is that it is earlier this year. And I know that for a fact because canary breeders traditionally use Valentine's Day to put the pairs together BUT this is because they start manipulating light from the first of the year, which I do not do, so I am always 'behind' compared to them. But, this year, I could easily pair them without any danger of the males attacking the females because the males are singing up a STORM and the hens are beginning to pull the paper from the bottom of the cage, both sure signs that they are already in almost high condition. I am still going to wait a bit... mostly because, this way, the season is shorter instead of longer.

Now, let's see: Sunny Sunconure is doing GREAT! She doesn't waste a single second hesitating and comes out of her cage as soon as I open the door (took months to achieve this!). She is also flying much more adroitly, can take off and land without a problem, is not strained at all even after flying from one end to the other (from living room to dining room to kitchen to canary room), does turns like a pro and, although her style is not as elegant as I would want it to be, she is getting stronger and better at it every day. She is also eating very well and beginning to enjoy a wider range of produce.

The lovebirds are as happy as they can be. I gave them an empty Milkbone box (which I have to change periodically because they mess it up with poop but which is no problem in my house with all the dogs I have :D ) and, in a matter of a few days, there were three eggs in it. I messed up and broke one of them but the other two, which I rendered infertile, of course!, are been faithfully incubated. They are also eating great: fall fruits and greens every day but only some veggies, not others. On an interesting note, I goofed big time with the genders :lol: (that should teach me not to get too cocky about these things!). Peachy ended up being a female and Jerry (ex-Cherry) a male! But I got lucky and ended up with a good mate-bonded pair anyway! Oh, and Jerry is coming along very nicely. He is no longer scared of me and doesn't even move when I clean the cage or put my face next to the cage at night to say Nite Nite.

The zons are all having sex and chewing up every single box I can get my hands on. Precie laid her second egg this morning and they are both nicely shelled but I still ran to ABBA to get a new bottle of Calcivet this morning, just in case.

Sophie CAG has been nesting for a while now but has laid no eggs this year - at least, so far.

Pookey still has issues... I found this lady that had good avian vet references and own house but she had children, worked full time and clipped so that was that for her as a prospective adopter for Pookey. I will keep on looking until I find the right home for her.

Davy ARB turned out to be a fabulous bird! That boy eats EVERYTHING I put in front of his face! You should have seen him this morning happily munching on yellow zucchini! And he eats leafy greens on a par with the cockatoos -something I had never seen in a medium size parrot before! Isis ARB is getting there with her hormones but she doesn't give Davy the time of the day preferring, instead, to pester my husband and I for PicaPica (head scritches) CONSTANTLY!

Now, the good surprise in the news! Zoey has decided to accept Sweetpea! :danicing: YAAAAAYYYYY! (And it only took what? two years?) Davy had been courting her and, although Sweetpea did not do anything different than what he has been doing all along, she finally decided he was good enough for her because, this morning, I saw her kissing his cheek AND asking him for food in her beak! He is sooo cute when he is courting her! He was doing his little dance, all fluffed up and softly saying "Come on - come on - come on" to her. So I put them both together again in the big cage and got them a nice wooden nest in ABBA (again, I am not planning on breeding them but I do want them to be happy so a nest was in order).

Now, the bad surprise! Linus has gotten aggressive with poor Freddy. He had being chewing up wood like a maniac and screaming -which was OK as it is their breeding season- but, a couple of days ago, I left them with my husband and, when I called him to find out if he had remembered to feed them dinner (I had already turned off the lights), my husband mentioned that he did not see Freddy or Linus so I sent him back to the birdroom to make sure they were OK and he said they were. But, when I went to the birdroom in the morning, I saw blood on Freddy's bottom tray paper and, when I looked at him, I saw that he had gotten a toe bit. I cleaned it up, put some sulfa powder on it and gave him some metacam but I am pretty sure I am going to have to take him to the vet to get the tip of that toe amputated. I was so mad at my husband I must have screamed at him for half a hour non-stop! I don't know what came over Linus, he has changed like night to day since he first came here. Whereas before he was the shiest bird ever, never moving from one spot, never vocalizing, just plucking and barbering himself, he is now all over the place, climbs all the way up to the platforms, screams and now, he goes after Freddy.... My guess is that this must be the first 'normal' breeding season he has had in a long time and that, added to the fact that he is feeling strong, has as much wood as he wants to chew and is cage-free has emboldened him. I hope he will calm down when the days get real long because I've had to keep one caged while the other is out and alternate who goes in and who stays out which I hate because I feel terrible having to cage one of them for hours at a time.

The other animals are all doing good but I do have to take my 20 and my 18 year old cats to the vet for their check-ups as well as my 19 year old dog (gotta keep on top of the old timers' health because things can change from one month to the next with them). My foster dog went back to his owner and the two dogs I found on the street are doing very well. The female has an appointment to get spayed and vaccinated on the 14th and the male on the 16th for vaccines, and they are both doing much better with the housebreaking issue.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:56 am

Wow! Such marvellous updates apart from the bitten toe, that does sound bad. I do hope that amputation can be avoided. Good on Zoey , make Davey work for it :lol:
It's great to hear that everything is going so well with everyone , maybe not with the husband :lol: but keep the updates coming!
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:17 am

You have a nice bunch of birds. I like how you refer to each one by name as if they were kids.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:00 am

Those bitten toes are a pain. I had a little bird get a toe bitten the other day.

Is it the right time of year for cockatoos to be laying?
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:35 am

Wow you are busy with the fids , hope the toe heals right. Every cockatoo in my house is going nuts right now doing things they've never done before. Several have changed personalities like Linus and now want to command the forces. There eating the house down as fast as I can fix it. One thing that I'm noticing is with the strict solar schedule followed the breeding season is much more pronounced. So there's something to be said for the old way 12 on 12 off. They don't seem to be so into pairing and nesting ALTHOUGH ITS CONTINUEOUS . Pray for sunshine and warm weather they want to go outside and I need a break!!!! :P :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:47 pm

I very friendly Moluccan bit me on the arm the other day. He jumped down to the floor and was determined to get to the cage of another Moluccan. I finally went to scoop him up off the floor, something he had always allowed before, and he bit me on my forearm. We ended up having to towel him (which is something he actually seems to like) to get him back to where he was supposed to be.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Yes, there is a good reason why all cockatoos species are considered 'hormonal' birds :lol: Linus had to be put in his cage today, AGAIN, because, this time, he went after Sophie CAG (nothing happened because I was standing right outside the door with my ear stuck to it, making sure his being loose was going to work out -my husband has long ago reached the conclusion that, when it comes to the birds, I am crazy :lol: ). I had seen him eyeing her 'nest' (just a couple of hard cardboard boxes I put in a specific corner of the room) while I was in there and suspected something like this happening - and it did!

I moved cages around this morning. I had noticed that the cardinal was getting too bent out of shape when I put the cover on his cage at night and decided to get him a smaller flight cage (his cage is humongous) and place it in the canary room where he will not require a cover for it. He is in there now and, although he was a bit stressed out from the move, he seems to have settled down. In order to do that, I had to take Codee GCC and Pablo's cage from the room so I put them in the humongous cage the cardinal had in the living room. Pablo Peachfront continues to surprise me... I never thought this bird would last more than a few months but boy, was I wrong! The bird is a wreck, half his bottom beak is missing (you can actually see his tongue!), he can't perch with both feet well because one of his back toes in his right foot must have been broken at one point in time and knitted back to the front and under his foot, his left wing is only half of one and has a bone (covered with skin) kind of sticking out there (but the vet said to leave it alone when I asked about surgery for it) and he has this neurological problem that impairs his balance but he is like the energizer bunny that keeps on going. Now he has two pink spots on the sole of his left foot (from always perching on it, I guess) so I took out all the perches and replaced them with thinner branches and two soft cotton ones - I also switched his wooden ladders with metal ones. But I had been rolling his cage out in the mornings while Codee is on me and he slowly started accepting my presence so I decided to bring it up a notch and see how he does in the living room.

I moved the lovies cage from the dining room to the living room next to Codee and Pablo's and got them a higher stand for it (I hated the fact that it was so low but they are now almost at my height). Took out Sweetpea's cage and put it back in the basement because he is now back with Zoey in the larger one. And moved Isis's and Davy's placing them in a right angle to Zoey and Sweet's. Sunny's went to the other wall in the dining, next to Pookey's which I moved from the living room into the dining room. The only ones that kept their cage in the same place are the 'ladies', Naida BFA and Mami YFA.

I don't think that I am going to be able to save that toe - well, he is not going to lose it completely but the tip is going to have to get amputated for sure because he is not comfortable -he barbered his chest and back. I'll call for an appointment tomorrow....

And, yes, of course that I use their names as if they were my kids - that's because they are!

Don't feel too sorry for my husband, this was all his fault. I told him a million times that, when he is in charge, he needs to be paying attention to the noises that come out of the birdroom and peep in every now and then to make sure everything is OK but, obviously, it has been going in one way and out the other. He is sorry though (he has been coming in to the birdroom with me to check on Freddy's toe in the mornings and commiserates with him and apologizes for his carelessness while I look after his toe) but let's see how long his contrition lasts...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alienlady » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:38 am

I never feel sorry for husbands :lol: I hope everything goes well with the operation.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby alienlady » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:59 am

How did you get on at the vets ? :?
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:29 pm

VERY well! I ended up going to a new clinic because mine was not coming back until next Monday and I was not willing to wait any longer as he had already started 'going' for it (kept on putting it in his beak and picking at it). The clinic where I always go knows me and the receptionist was nice enough to give me the name and phone number of where my avian vet goes on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and I liked this clinic even more than I like the one where I go despite the fact that it's farther (not by much, actually). I liked the infrastructure (very pet friendly!), the people and the prices (cheaper than mine! which was a blessing because my husband was already grumbling about all the money we have spent on animals the last two weeks -new cage for the cardinal, check-up/vaccines/heartworm test/spaying for Sweetie, check up/vaccines/heartworm test for Oggie and now Freddy!).

He pulled off a chip of his beak that was 'sticking out' (apparently Linus bit Freddy's beak and, as he put pressure on each side of the top beak, made a dent that caused a chip to 'stick out') and amputated just the tip of the mangled toe. He said that he wanted to see if we could get away with this instead of having to go all the way up to the knuckle which would leave him with one less toe. He is also concerned about the other toe (he got two toes bit) because he says the cut is deep and there might not be enough blood getting to the tip so, if it starts to whither, we might have to amputate that, too. But I think it'll be OK... it doesn't look or feel like it's not getting any circulation, at least, not the way it always look when this happens (I have had canaries that lose toes and even feet from lack of circulation). He is on Baytril and Metacam (I already had him on them but they gave him a higher dosage than I was giving him). Oh, and his bloodwork came back all normal!

I liked this clinic so much that I am going to take Sophie CAG next (I don't like the way her right eye looks - I think she might have a cataract there).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales