Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Bird woman » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:03 pm

My husband is a real push over with any new bird that comes in but always when the new wears off the responsibility is all mine or if he gets bit too much because of his lack of patients he won't have anything to do with them until I teach them not to bite. That's okay with me I don't share well with others and love that the birds love me most. Most of the time all the birds except the macaws can be hanging all over me with minimal problems but you have to be on your toes because someone always gets jealous. I've set boundaries as who can be where on me when there all together but as you all know , just one new one in the mix disrupts the whole shooting match again. :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:24 am

My husband does VERY little for any of the animals even though all the cats we have are his fault. He is not home all the time and, when he is, he just helps a bit in the evening with the cats food - he never does anything with the birds and very little with the dogs even though the idiot golden retriever is his (he does bathe him, though).

It's easier with the smaller species... they seem to be more willing to share than the large ones. I often walk around doing my morning chores with three birds on me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:51 pm

I didn't find out that little parrots could be just as much fun as my cockatoos till I had a whole house full of too's. Now I have to guard my Maxie because he has a big bird attitude and a runt muffin body! :lol: . Thought about steroids to bulk him up :shock: alyha also is a runt with a big attitude , funny how these little ones are so fearless and Lilly my big mollucan is a sissy LALA. :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:58 am

Things are going very well - so well, in fact, that I cannot even begin to describe how happy I am with the new male redbelly! What a FABULOUS eater this guy is! He actually grabs leafy greens with his hand and chews on them as if they were candy canes! He also loves produce and often goes into his cage as soon as I put out them out to much on them as well as into the other birds' cages to steal their portions :lol: He has one of those useless mild clips and has been reconnoitering the house so now he flies in and out of rooms and has found places he likes better and where he hangs out (the canary room been one of them). He hasn't approached me for love but he steps up to a stick and allows me to carry him anywhere I want to without a single problem. He has also learned the routines as if he had always been here and knows when it's time to go back into his cage to the point that, sometimes, he even does it on his own. He has also shown no aggression whatsoever toward the other birds AND -drumroll!- I've seen him and Isis beaking each other twice! Now, don't misunderstand me, the whole exchange was not without a hint of aggression BUT more like playing hard to get than anything else. In both case, he flew to where Isis was, perched very close and in front of her and started the interaction by trying to grab her beak with his but he did this while lowering his front body (his chest was almost touching the
'floor') and turning his head sideways which indicates that he is not trying to fight with her but to win her over. So, great, great, great progress and I am just waiting for them to bond to get them a new, large cage they can share - the ones they have now are not big enough for my taste but they are out most of the day so it's not the ideal but it's OK.

Sunny SunConure has been coming out of her cage and flying every single day now and, very often, she also flies to my shoulder. She is still quite clumsy but she is doing it on her own and that's a big step in the right direction for her.

Cherry, the new lovie, is doing very well, she is now eating greens regularly although not the fruit or the veggies (she eats some but not all and not all the time) but that's OK because she eats her gloop and, for an ex-breeder which, most likely, was never fed right, she is doing very well.

Pookey is getting better - very, very, very slowly but there is a change in the right direction. She is now vocalizing normally every day, doesn't scream as in a panic every time anybody approaches her and has learned to tolerate SweetPea perching on the cardinals cage without freaking out (she doesn't even make a peep about this anymore). I have reduced her dosages of the valerian root and the theanine to half what she was originally getting and will continue to do so periodically as I see her getting better.

Linus and Freddy are doing well. Linus was doing wonderfully with his feathers but he barbered quite a number of them when the guy doing the floor was in there. It's OK though - it takes years and years for a chronic plucker to stop and, in lots of cases, they never completely stop so although I wasn't happy about it, I am not disheartened by it, either. He has already chewed HUGE chunks of the boards we put all around the perimeter of the room and he doesn't touch his feathers when he is entertained doing this.

We finished 'doing' the birdroom and my daughter promised to come and take pictures and videos of it (she said she was coming yesterday but she didn't so it won't be long now for you to see the pictures you have been asking for).

On another note, I adopted out all six kittens born from the feral mothers and I still have the little dog I am fostering for this young man as well as the two I found lost on the streets. I am still waiting for the rescue to have an 'opening' in a foster home for them but they are doing OK. The minpin female was not pregnant (she had been very recently) and is one of the smartest dogs I've ever had! She has learned not only her new name (Sweety) and the routines but also all the commands I give my own dogs, gained enough weight to look normal (she is a little beauty now!) and then some (she eats her food as if she had never had enough food in her life, the poor thing!) so she is a bit thick around the middle, but she has also learned to go outside and hardly ever has an 'accident' inside and she no longer steals the food from the other dogs (she would push them off their dishes) that eat at a normal pace (this was a problem, I had to pick her up and hold her in my arms while the others finished but she has now learned the 'That's NOT yours!' and the 'STAY!' command and sits next to me to wait). It's going to be hard letting her go because she is extremely affectionate and really no trouble at all now. The other one, the yorkie mix I named Yogi... well, that's another story. He has actually taken leaps in the right direction (kisses, wagging tail, sleeping next to me, allowing belly rubs, etc) but he still needs a lot of work - he is not housebroken at all and lifts his leg and poops inside. But, while the first two days, all he did was look for a door to get out, he now goes out with the other dogs very willingly but comes back almost immediately to sit at the top step and cries for me to let him back in so, if I want him to do anything outside, I have to go out with them and walk around the backyard so he follows me and, as soon as I stop and stand somewhere, he sits down right next to my leg and would not move until I do... poor, poor thing! He must have been so very needful of love to become so attached to me in such short time. So now I have two dogs in diapers (one of mine and the one I am fostering for the young man) and I am working on getting Yogi on them (he allows me to pick him up and even touch his entire body but if I walk up to him with a diaper in my hand, he freaks out and tries to bite me so I am still working on his trust issues).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Good to hear about all the progress!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:47 pm

You have made great progress.
It is very hard to give up a critter that you have been caring for even though you knew when you got it that you could not keep it.
Do you have a doggy door?
I don't know how you do it. Just the ones that I have drive me crazy and tire me out.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:27 pm

No, no doggy door, it would be too risky because the cats could go out. I just let them out to the backyard 5 or 6 times a day - the pain in the neck is taking off the diapers and putting clean ones back on every time :lol:

And now, the long awaited pictures. My daughter calls me at 8:30 am this morning telling me she is on her way here to take the pictures so excuse the way I look because I wasn't expecting anybody to take pictures of me :D

First, the ones downstairs:

This is my little girl, Zoey, perching on Sunny's cage:

This is Sweetpea, perching on Davy's cage (I wish she had taken the picture from the front so you could see that his belly and half his chest is now all feathered but, as you can see, his back is not and the feathers that he had plucked and grew back came back yellow BUT they go back to green on the second molt after regrowing them -interesting, isn't?):

Here are Davy and Isis, both perching on the top of their respective cages which I set up side by side to encourage bonding:

Here is Davy by himself -beautiful bird, isn't he?:

Here is Isis asking for PicaPica (head scritches):

And here are Peachy by himself and with Cherry still in her cage (I can't let her out when people come over because it takes me a long time to get her back in):

Naida and Mami on a picture, first, and a short video after with Mami singing off-key (as she always does :lol: ) - she likes all music but she LOVES country and tangos :D

Here is poor Pookey which cannot be let out of her cage when the other birds are out because she freaks out:

And last but not least, Sunny, which has been doing VERY well lately (we forgot about Codee and Pablo so they will have to come later):

And here is the freshly painted (by my daughter, Lara, but you can still see the patches under the fresh paint -the birds pull the hooks from the ceiling and chew the walls and my husband is not too good at patching but I don't care because this is something that happens ALL THE TIME) birdroom and its occupants. First of all, Freddy, the BIG ham doing his 'king of the jungle' thing climbing as high as he can on the branches (there are several pix of him because he is Lara's favorite) :D

A couple of videos of Freddy (you can hear my voice in the background and it's a bit hoarse because I am getting over a bad bronchitis, and Precie's crazy laughter):

This is Sophie with me, first, and then eating her gloop:

Linus in his cage (he absolutely refused to come out while Lara was there) and below a picture of his 'corner' where he does all his 'work' as you can see by the shape the wood is already :lol:

These are Zeus (by himself, first) and Precie (I have to cage them when people come over because I am always afraid Zeus is going to attack somebody):

Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Nice pictures.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:57 pm

I love those red bellies. Nice looking birds. About the size of a Senegal?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:49 pm

No, they are a bit bigger and they don't seem to be as possessive or as aggressive as the Senegals but, then, with only two of them to judge from, this might be just a matter of their individual personalities and not anything to do with the species. They do seem to be better eaters of greens because Davy loves his greens and Isis eats more greens than either of the senegals do even though she had never had any before she came here and I've had the senegals for years and years. Their voices, when they speak human, are very similar, though - at least, Davy's voice sounds very much like Sweetpea's does. And yes, they are beautiful birds! The females might not have the orange of the males (the underside of the males' wings is the same orange as the belly and chest) but they have a gorgeous turquoise. As an interesting note on their name been 'red belly' even though they don't really have red but orange, this is from Wikipedia:
"Although the name red-bellied parrot implies that the parrot has hints of red, the word orange was not introduced into English language until after the fruit orange was discovered and named. So some animals which were our current definition of orange was named red due to the word not existing"

I forgot to mention that Davy does speak. I can't tell what he says because he only does it when I am not near him and kind of softly -and I don't hear very well- but I heard him say "Here, Baby!" very clearly and I think I heard him say "Good morning" the other day (I repeat Good morning many times while I go around opening cage doors at 6 am). And, by the way, the 'Here, Baby' proves this bird did not belong to the people I got him from because they only spoke Spanish.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales