Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:23 am

Just a short one (things change fast during breeding season). Peachy Lovie has almost abandoned her second clutch. She still goes in the box for a while at a time but she has been coming out to spend time with Jerry and she never asks to be put back in the cage when she is out flying. This morning, I actually had to call her to me for it because she was having a great time flying around - she took two very nice, long baths in the sink while I was washing their dishes and came with me to the canary room for a while.
The budgies have become close friends. Now, they are always together, perching side by side or two on a perch and the third one on another one perpendicular to it. I got them a nice dry yucca kabob and a piñata toy for their cage. I am still looking for an older female for Harley and I think I am going to end up adding another pair so there are six of them (I have found that three pairs is the minimum number for good flock dynamics). I am going to put them in the large flight cage where Pablo Peachfront and Codee GCC are now with two identical smaller flight cages on each side - one for Pablo and Codee and the other one for Paquita and Rajah Plet. These three cages will go in the semi-circle of the bay window I have in the living room (this is, actually, the best spot in the entire house because it gets the morning sun and light from three sides).
Paquita and Rajah Plet are doing great, eating, chilling and sleeping side-by-side and no flights whatsoever - not even a yes and a no (as we say in Spanish to indicate complete harmony between two people :D ). I have all of them on extra vitamins/minerals but I am going to bring them down to normal dosages in another week because they are also getting richer food these days (today everybody got sprouts in their gloop).

Linus has finally begun to calm down (days are longer) and -drum roll- I was right: he is watching over Sophie's eggs! I don't think he actually sits on them but he is definitely watching over them (I guess he thinks he is the papa :lol: ) and UNBELIEVABLY Sophie likes him. A LOT! I've had Sophie for, what?, 11 - 12 years? and she had never bonded to any bird in all that time - or even before because she had lived since a baby with an amazon before she came to me and never wanted to have anything to do with him either. But now, every time I serve their food, she flies over to eat with him! She had been getting her food the same way she has always gotten it, on a paper plate on top of a platform, while Linus was getting his in bowls that I hang from the outside of a cage next to a perch (he used to get the same bowls inside the cage so getting them outside was the next 'step') but today was the third morning that first she started eating from her plate but, as soon as I put the bowls out for Linus and he starts eating from them, she flies over to share his bowls and he politely backs off so she can eat from them. They are bonding! A cockatoo that has lived his entire life by himself and a gray that has lived her entire life with lots of other birds but never liked any! Will wonders ever cease?! And I cannot even begin to tell you how ecstatic I am over this development! I am SOOOOO happy for them I could cry!! :danicing: :danicing:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:37 am

Well, :D what a development with Sophie and Linus ! How wonderful and so unexpected , amazing and such happy news, no wonder you're so thrilled.
So good to hear everyone else is doing so well too :D :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby liz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:41 am

That is like Maggie, my old breeder bird, not bonding to any in the flock. Andy kept trying to perch with her and she would always move away. Finally she stopped moving away from him. This year they are both sitting on a nest at the same time. They are keeping each other company. She must be a lot older than I thought. She did not lay any eggs. I gave them 3 fake ones and they are happy and cuddle on the nest.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:53 am

I think that, if you give them enough time (and this could mean years and years and years and many choices, like Sophie), they eventually do find somebirdy they like or they 'give in' and accept the bird that they had rejected many times but kept on insisting. How very nice for Maggie, Liz! I bet you are super happy for her and Andy!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 14, 2017 10:56 am

Everybody doing well. I was going to take Pookey and the lovebirds to the lady in Long Island but my husband, who was supposed to come back this morning from Ct, called me last night to tell me that they couldn't tape the program so it was rescheduled for today and it's back to square one on the coordinating the delivery to their new home.

Zoey Senegal is actively looking for a nest for the first time in her life and Sweetpea Senegal faithfully follows her wherever she happens to be searching (mostly behind the living room bay window draperies and sheers which they've been chewing holes in - and my husband is not very happy about that! :lol: ) but the boobie is not feeding her in her beak so I don't know what will happen in the next few months (their breeding season is in the fall so things might change by then). I had hoped that Zoey's acceptance of him would make him stop plucking but that doesn't seem to be the case - at least, not yet. He has learned a new phrase though... One of the dogs I found on the street had been starved and she was left with this desperation for food so, every time I go into the canary room, she quickly sneaks in to look for anything that might have fallen to the floor (this dog would eat ANYTHING! lettuce, peppers, celery, you name it, she eats it!) which forces me to tell her to get back into the kitchen a few times a day: "Sweety! Get in there!" So now, whenever he hears me saying her name, he goes: "Sweety! Get in there! Get in there!" :lol: He is big on telling others what to do, he tells the dogs "Shut up" when they bark, the other birds to 'Stop it!" when they are doing something they shouldn't and "Get in" when I am putting them back in their cages. He is soooo smart! He uses language cognitively and applies the right phrase to the right circumstances with the notable exception of "Good evening" which he says completely out of context. He even makes jokes... A conversation this morning:
Sweetpea: "Ready? Ready?" (he is actually asking if his food is ready)
Me: "No, not ready. You have to wait. Wait"
Sweetpea: "What's the matter?"
Me: "Nothing. Nothing is the matter."
Sweetpea: "You OK?"
Me: "Yes, I'm OK" "Are you OK"
Sweetpea: "Yeeees, you OK... you OK" (he doesn't say "I am OK")

Isis and Davy Redbelly have not bonded but they are not fighting and seem to have accepted each other as flock mates. And they are both doing great. I don't know if I lucked out with these two or if all the Redbellies are the same but these two are GREAT eaters! They eat leafy greens, veggies, fruits and love their gloop. They like produce so much that they don't even wait for me to give them some, they come over to the kitchen and steal it as I am preparing them to the point that I always cut extra pieces because I know for a fact that I will end up with less than I need for every one of them. Davy molted the first remige in each wing so he now has one 'normal' primary in each - and he is looking might pretty, I might add. I am sure it's my imagination but I could swear that his orange chest is brighter than it was when he first came.

Peachy and Jerry Lovie started their third clutch, which doesn't make me very happy but her eggs are nicely shelled and she doesn't seem to be suffering in any way from it. They come out to fly everyday and, although Jerry is not tamed at all, he has learned to go back into the cage once I put the food in it -I do have to be on the lookout so I can close the door once he goes in or he would come out right back out but I've learned to time it just right so it has become part of the morning routine.

Mami YCA and Naida BFA are busy chewing box after box after box with Naida often laying down in one of them but no eggs so far. They are terribly plucked... much more so this year than in previous ones because Mami seems to be on a campaign about it. Her entire chest and abdomen are plucked as well as Naida's chest and back of her nape and head (from Mami overpreening her there). But they are eating/pooping/vocalizing well and seem quite happy with their lives so it's just a matter of looks and, if they don't care, I don't care either.

Precie YNA is beginning to abandon her eggs for longer and longer periods... She has found the way to open one of the bowl doors on the side of their cage and I often find her outside but, so far, no problems with the other birds so I will give her the benefit of the doubt and see what happens. Zeus YNA only came out once through the little door and went back in as soon as he saw me coming into the room (smart cookie!) while Precie waits for me to open the door and tell her to go home (smarter cookie!).

Linus Too continues with his 'papa' role and sticks close to Sophie CAG (and when I say 'close' I do mean CLOSE, his body touches her) when she is sitting on the eggs and watching over them whenever she gets up. She hasn't showed any signs of abandoning the eggs yet.

Sunny Sun Conure is doing VERY well. Her flying skills continue to improve and she now is able to fly up and down the stairs. She has also become a Velcro bird and is ALWAYS on me to the point that she is beginning to be a bit of a pest because she has this habit of hanging on to the center of the neck of whatever top I am using and softly touch the hollow of my throat with her beak which I HATE so I am constantly moving her to a shoulder just for her to go back to her favorite spot - ay ay ay!

Paquita and Rajah Plet are doing GREAT! Those little birds are excellent eaters - and I do mean EXCELLENT! But Paquita is mean, mean, mean! :lol: A real termagant of a little midge! My husband and I are always laughing in delight over her tantrums... she is such a tiny little thing and so completely fearless! All we have to do is put our face next to her cage to look at her and she comes close real quick to scold us and threaten us by making lunging motions with her head while holding her beak open as if trying to bite us! :lol: What a cutie she is and what an indomitable spirit she has! They haven't had a single argument and she now has a smooth back (she had a real rough spot between her wings) and a fully feathered chest! She still has a strip in her abdomen that has only down but it looks as if it's beginning to fill up so I think she will be fully feathered later in the year, after she molts (let's all keep our fingers crossed!).

Harley, Blue and Chloe Budgie are also doing VERY well. Eating their gloop like little troopers and although they are not still 100% consistent on eating their leafy greens, they have eaten fruits which was a big surprise to me. They get along famously -but I expected that. What I did not expect was for Harley to pay more attention to Blue than he does to Chloe! Could Blue be a girl? Because, although it's common wisdow that male budgies have blue or lilac ceres while hens have pink, beige or brown, I did have two females (sisters) that had blue ceres which turned brown during breeding season so it's not impossible for a female to have them although I don't know why this happens.

The one that is not doing as well as I would want is poor Pablo Peachfront. Cody GCC is doing well and they are both beginning to use a box I gave them in case they wanted a nest. They only use it for sleeping so I don't think that she is nesting or anything like that. Pablo got bit by Sweetpea at the very end of the half a wing. I was sooooo upset over this and blamed myself for it. But, aside from that and the fact that he has lost a bit of weight (not fast, very gradually), he's still going... eats all his food, poops normally and although his energy level has not decreased, he is now climbing VERY laboriously so, most nights, I simply put their dinner dish wherever he happens to be so as to save him some effort. I will take him back to the vet but, in all honesty, I doubt there is anything that can be done for him... he is an old bird that had a terrible life for very long and, as much as anybody can try, the consequences of bad care will remain no matter what we do.

The squirrels went to the Wildwood Wildlife Refuge for weaning and later release, and I have a couple of pictures that I need to upload to Photobucket so I can show you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun May 14, 2017 11:56 am

Great update!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 am

I would love to see a video of your birds at their most active time.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 15, 2017 10:14 am

I will ask my husband to taka a couple of pictures of them later today because he has to take pictures of this little dog that I am putting up for adoption (not one of mine but one that I was taking care of for this guy and which ended up abandoned here). Their most active time is early in the am when the sun is up, that's when they fly back and forth and Mami sings with the radio. Unfortunately, my husband is still sleeping at that time (he thinks getting up before 8:30 am is 'madrugar' -it means 'get up at dawn'- and complains that I get up too early "The neighbors must hate you! 5:15 am and the dogs were barking!") so although I can ask him to video the birds, it will not be at their most active but I will try to show you what I mean about Paquita (she is such a delight!) and show you Chloe and Blue which you haven't met 'in person' yet.

I just got an email about another male/female pair of budgies that need a home so they will be joining us later in the week (I better order the new cages so I can move them into the large flight after quarantine because the one they are now sharing is not big enough for five of them). One more female and the little flock will be complete!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed May 17, 2017 5:59 am

I thought Harley died. He had liver damage. Marley was the plucker.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 17, 2017 10:08 am

No, Harley is with me and doing great. I had to trim his beak the morning after he arrived because it was too long but it has stayed pretty much the same since then (I check him every morning). He is eating very well and loves his new friends. Marley died of eggbinding at, more or less, the same time that my Freddy died because Wolf emailed me about it when I told him about what had happened with my Freddy. I don't know what happened there because I was so upset over my loss that I didn't really ask Wolf for any details so I don't whether she had become a chronic layer or what but she was obviously not getting enough calcium.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales