Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am

Well, I am back and everything is back to normal - kind of... And I say 'kind of' because as we were going toward the baggage claim, I saw my husband walking toward me and I could tell by his face that there was something not right and I was right. It wasn't the birds, they are all OK and super happy to see me! I got to the house after 10 pm and I am sure they were all asleep but woke up when they heard the dogs barking like maniacs and the firs thing I hear is Sweetpea calling out: "Pretty bird! Sweet pretty bird! Whachudoing?" :lol: He's being talking up a storm since early this morning, Mami has been singing and I have been getting soooo many kisses! Especially by Codee GCC who couldn't seem to stop kissing me, poor baby! But they all did well although I am sure they were overfed...

The problem was with one of the dogs... He told me that Oggie [the mean yorkie mix I found on the street] had done bloody diarrhea once about an hour before he left to pick me up but, as soon as I walked in, I saw three little puddles of the dreaded 'gellied blood' so typical of HGE [Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis] so I told my husband to drop the suitcase and start the car again while I put his leash on him and out we went to the Emergency Clinic I use. He got subQ fluids, IV antibiotics and a shot of anti-nausea med so I ended up getting to bed at 1 am but, thankfully, he seems to be doing a bit better this morning. And I am sure that part of the reason why he got sick is that he was stressed out by my absence and the change in routine. The idea was for my husband not to go to work while I was out but he got called to do Champion League games and he could not say no as it's an honor to get chosen for them - they are the most prestigious games as they are the ones with the most audiences. And, although I do understand his point [media mostly chooses young, handsome people for sports nowadays], I got really upset about it because it meant the animals schedules were not what they are used to, the birds could not be kept at a solar schedule and the dogs spent long hours by themselves. But, it's done now and everything is back to normal.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm glad he's okay.

Don't be too mad at your husband. He had to watch soccer. I can't think of many worse penances than that. :)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:04 am

:lol: Watching soccer is no hardship for him - or any male outside the US! It is for me, though. I dislike sports on principle. But I am not mad at him. The poor man made a HUGE effort and even cleaned the house before I got back - and I know it was a mess because my daughter Lara came over to let the dogs out one day at noon and she said I would have flipped if I had seen it! There were three days that he got up at 4:30 am, did all the animals, drove 3 hours, did two games and drove back another 3 hours just to get home to do all the animals again! And he is not only an old man but he is completely unused to doing anything for the animals except play or give them love so this was A LOT of work for him. Thankfully, everything is OK and, when he came down the stairs this morning, Mami was loudly proclaiming her love for 'you' over and over so he came into the kitchen laughing saying "Ahhh, everything is back to normal for sure!" And Oggie is much, much better! He is back to barking, jumping up and down and bothering the other dogs.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:34 am

My husband, Saint Robert, has offered to drive down to Florida and back to pick up Cheeks, the little white belly caique, whenever he next has 4 days off in a row but I think it'll be better if I fly down in the morning and come back in the evening because he is getting too old for that kind of effort...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:32 pm

I had written my usual long update a couple of days ago and my stupid laptop lost the internet connection before I could post it so I lost the whole thing :( Here we go again.

The budgies are doing great! I noticed that the hens were not going out of condition so I decided to pay a little extra attention to them early in the am and late in the pm to see what I was doing wrong in terms of light because the diet has already been adjusted to less protein. I figured that the problem was that they were still getting enough light from the lamp across the street through the closed blinds to keep them awake because I could hear them chirping when all the other birds were already either asleep or almost asleep so I started covering their cage and now the hens ceres are slowly changing back to normal. Aside from that, Harley seems to be favoring his left foot and I don't know why. He did this before but he went back to using it without a problem so I thought that maybe he had twisted or sprained it and that it had gotten better on its own but it came back so I need to do something about it. It's not swollen or anything but he doesn't quite perch with it sometimes... he tends to put it on top of the perch while using his right one to grab but, when he is on a flat surface, he puts it down normally so I am thinking maybe a touch of arthritis in his toes but why only in that one foot?

Paquita and Rajah Plet are looking marvelous! The molt left them looking so pretty and they are doing so very well, good appetite and willing to eat a large variety of produce, good poop, etc. And they get along famously! You hardly ever see them together when you are near because Rajah always perches all the way up high while Paquita is constantly 'patrolling' the bottom of the cage making sure that she is there to repeal any invasion so, if you get near, she will run to that side and stand there with her beak open prepared for war :lol: And she does the same thing if a dog or a cat put their face near her cage! It's the funniest thing to see this teeny tiny little thing, all fluffed up and mad as a wet hen threatening a big dog with her beak wide open - I LOVE her to pieces! She is such a source of joy to me, with her indomitable spirit! But, once it's time for sleep or a nap, up she goes to snuggle close to Rajah and, if you pay attention, at night, you can hear them chattering to each other in whispers until they fall asleep.

Codee GCC and Pablo Peachfront are doing well, too. Well, Pablo is doing as well as he can, poor thing, with his infirmities. He eats like a champ and, if he is at the bottom of the cage when food is being served, he quickly goes to his 'ladder' to get to the platform to climb up slowly and very laboriously but he makes it on his own and, although sometimes I put the food at the bottom for him, I do try to allow him to do things on his own. Codee is looking beautiful! Not a single black mark anywhere on her back! I know this is the way they are supposed to be but it took me three years to get rid of all her stress bars so, to me, the fact that she continues to molt perfect feathers is a source of personal pride. She continues being the sweetest, sweetest thing and I love her to pieces! All she does is kiss me over and over all the time she is with me but she also pays attention to what I am doing and often hangs upside down from one single foot of the front of my TShirt just so she can get closer to the 'action' :D

The old ladies, Mami YFA and Nadia BFA, are doing well. Naughty Mami already started overpreening her chest and neck feathers so grey spots are beginning to appear in the green feathers that had grown after the molt but she eats very well, drinks, poops, interacts and sings her heart out every morning while regaling us with conversations that nobody understands in the evening except for her calling for 'Peter'. Naida still has her feathers but it's only a matter of time that Mami starts messing up with her plumage...

Precie and Zeus Zon are doing VERY well! Not that they seem to mind too much being caged when I am not in the parrot room during the breeding season but they do love being able to roam about when it's not. I haven't been attacked or even gotten a bluff once for months and months and months now so it seems that Zeus has finally calmed down for good in terms of his relationship with humans. It took years but who can blame him when he had been punched by his previous owner?! He likes to be talked to and pays close attention when I do but he has never taken the next step to a closer relationship with me and that's just fine! He has Precie and Precie has him and as long as they are healthy and happy, I am happy too!

Sophie CAG is her usual wonderful self... sweet-tempered, attentive, etc. I've had her for a lot of years now and she feels safe and secure in her home and routine so very little fazes her. Her beef right now are the feral kittens I took in to socialize and adopt out. I put the adult cats in their room when the birds are out but I allow the kittens out of the bathroom where I am keeping them to come out and explore the house and, needless to say, they are fascinated by the birds! They like to sit and watch the budgies eating their gloop because when they do it, they are at the bottom of the cage and at the same level as their eyes but they adore going into the parrot room with all the space for them to run around, smell things and, best of all: Linus boxes! So Sophie has taken it upon herself to make sure they leave as soon as they come into the room and, when she sees them running in, she quickly climbs or flies down to the floor to throw them out. She is the bouncer of the parrot room :lol:

Linus is busy chewing boxes all the time but he has started barbering the wonderful primaries that he had allowed to grow during molt - little stinker that he is! If I forget to give him a new big, hard box for him to chew, I find primaries barbered the next day! But he does look better - well, let me rephrase that, at least, he does for now. He has many more feathers than he did when he first came. His back and lower abdomen are all covered and his chest only has 'holes' instead of being all skin plus he still has some feathers in his tail and wings but who know how long they will last...

I have a flight booked for Monday, Nov/13 in the pm to go down to Miami with the return for very early in the am on Tuesday [leaves at 7:45 which means I need to be at the airport before 6 am - not that I really mind because I am an early riser anyway!]. I already have an approved air carrier and a cage, purchased the airfare and made the reservation [United only allows two pets per flight] and his current owner is taking him to the avian vet this coming week so as to get the health certificate I need to get him into New Jersey. I am staying at the Hilton Miami Airport hotel which has shuttles every 15 minutes to and from the airport terminals so as not to have to rent a car but it's not a pet friendly hotel so I will have to hide him which won't be hard as he will be brought to me at night and we are leaving so early the next morning. It had to be on a Monday because that is the only day my husband is usually home and I had to be back Tuesday morning because if my husband has to work, he can do the food and such early in the am but I don't want them to go an entire day without out of cage time. So, my next update will have news about my new baby! His name is Cheeks and he is a white belly caique.

Aside from that, everybody else is doing fine. I managed to catch four feral kittens of a litter of six and they have been vetted, dewormed, tested for FIV and FeL and socialized to humans, other cats, dogs and even birds and, as I don't charge a single penny for them even though I pay for their vetting out of my own pocket plus I feed them good, expensive food [these kittens were NOT weaned to Purina Kitten Chow!], they go fast because they are beautiful, healthy and affectionate little thing! I am keeping one male back for a while because he had a real bad eye infection and although the infection itself is gone from the oral and topical antiobiotics, his eye is not looking too good and might end up blind so I want to make sure I know what is going to be before I give him away. I never lie about the animals I give away so if he is going to be visually impaired, this is something his new owners need to know before they make the decision to adopt him - but I don't foresee any problems finding him a home... three legged or one eyed animals go faster than 'perfect' ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:06 pm

Cheeks, the black capped caique is here! And what a BEAUTIFUL bird he is! I had never had a caique before and although one can see their beauty in pictures, they are even more striking in person. They are the size and body type of Redbellies -well, kind of- and they have the red eyes too but their beaks and feet are a deep, deep black and the orange band is more ochre than the orange chest and belly of the redbellies. I am not happy with his plumage and he is still molting but he will be fine once he molts next year, I think.

He was delivered to my hotel room last night, hidden under his previous owner's jacket because the Hilton Miami AIrport Hotel where I stayed is not a pet-friendly hotel but it was the closest to the airport, it has room service and it has shuttles back and forth from it every 15 minutes starting at 6 am and my flight back to Newark was leaving at 7:45 so it was the most convenient one. We put his sleeping hut in the carrier I had brought with me and I put the carrier, covered with a towel, in the bathroom because I like to fall asleep with the TV on and I wanted him to have complete silence and darkness for a peaceful sleep. This morning, I let him out and he ate one of the three blackberries I had saved for him from my dinner dessert, had some seeds from his usual mix [which is NOT one I would use] and drank water from a coffee cup I cut in half for him. When it was time to leave, I prompted him into the hut and he went in it without a problem. During the flight back, he started making noises that sounded to me as if he was worried so I risked letting him out and, as soon as I opened the little door, he climbed out and up my arm to my shoulder where he stayed the entire flight while I read a book and talked to him softly every now and then and even scratched his head - and he gave me two kisses on my cheek! What a sweetheart! He is now on my shoulder after drinking more water and having a piece of birdy bread and he is seems content enough. Davy Redbelly is not very happy about the new member of the family though... He was the first one to approach him and they kind of beaked each other for a second. But he is taking it out on me, fickle human that I am daring to pay attention to still one more bird! He flew to my other shoulder just to bite me and took two dives at my hands. But it will be OK, he just needs to get used to accepting a new bird same as my other birds have.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:43 pm

I love those goofy little birds. They always seem so happy.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:59 am

There is a good reason why they are called 'the clowns of the parrot world'! Cheeks doesn't speak but he laughs like a human all the time and I am sure he learned it because you can't help but laugh at their goofy antics.

This morning, he was on my shoulder all the time I was cleaning cages, putting out fresh water and produce but, as soon as I put the gloop in the bowl to mix in the supplements and flavorings, he climbed down real quick and, perching on the edge of the bowl, started eating it as if he had always had it for breakfast -which I know it's not the case! What a wonderful little bird! Now I feel guilty about taking him because, in truth, this little bird would do just fine with anybody and he certainly doesn't need me!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Just a quick note to let you know that Cheeks is doing wonderfully! Even my husband, who is NOT a parrot person, has commented more than once about what a good little bird he is! He has eaten EVERYTHING I have put in front of him - and with gusto! He loves his gloop and can't wait to get to it in the morning, starting to eat it while I am carrying the tray with all the bowls :D He is no pushover and is now beginning to take the initiative in scaring the other birds that might be perching on the cage he wants to climb on. He also says "Javi' which is how his previous owner's mother would call his ex-human but it seems to me that he thinks that 'Javi' means any human because that's what he says when he wants me to go get him from wherever he is - which I always do because I found him walking on the floor toward me twice and that's something that I discourage. Thing is, he is a very weak flier but he will get better in time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Does he like your husband? It is the very rare male bird who likes me. Many male birds actively attack me. We have a little cobalt-winged, or orange-chinned, depending on who you ask. He loves everyone but me. He tries to attack my hand if I go into his cage. Save your money, no test neeeded, he’s a boy!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales