Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby liz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 am

My daughter has a cat that had kittens a long time ago before we could get her spayed. When we would bring in a kitten from the shelter she would not wash them or anything but would take the responsibility for teaching them. Sherburt liked to play in my toilet. Evelett was bringing in live critter to teach him what to hunt. Yes, you got it. One morning when going to the bathroom I found a live mouse in there.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rainbow
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Lacy Flutter Phoenix Jackie Andy Gimpy Louise
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:53 am

:lol: Surprise - surprise! Mine hardly ever find a mouse in the house anymore but, when we first moved in, they would catch them and carry them in their mouth alive trying to hide from the other cats and me because they knew that I would take it away from them.

Raya, the feral turned tame, is a truly extraordinary cat because she did not only become tame after being born and living for, at least, 2 years on the street but she is the calmest, sweetest, most affectionate cat ever! And so very maternal! This morning, I fed the little ones but, about two hours later, I had to use the bathroom [I keep them in a large box with a heating pad covered by a baby blanket in it] and Raya and two of the older kittens followed me in there. The tiny kittens woke up and were moving around [they can only drag themselves] and one of them meowed so Raya looked inside the box, jumped in and proceeded to groom them and, when they started looking for her teats, she laid down to feed them. She has already raised the other 8 almost all on her own [I helped by supplementing her feedings] and now she is helping raise these four - what a sweetheart of an animal! Better than some human mothers, that's for sure!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby liz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 am

The mouse came from outside.
I called my son and he came over with tongs. He picked it up by the hair on the back of it's neck and released it in a wooded area across the street.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:11 am

Poor Duchess died last night. In the morning, when I cleaning their cage, I noticed that she had her eyes closed [she wasn't quite asleep because her head was not 'tucked'] and made a mental note to keep my eye on her but she had no discharge from anywhere, no diarrhea, no labored breathing so I did not put her on anything. And she did go down to eat her breakfast and her dinner... But, this morning, she was dead. I don't know how old she was but she was not a young bird and, most likely, was fed wrong her entire life, poor thing!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby liz » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:07 am

I am so sorry that you lost her. I know how you feel. It has happened to me a couple times when the bird is active but dead in the morning. We don't know the history on our rescued birds or their age. It could have been anything.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:11 am

Sorry about Duchess.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Timneh African Grey
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:11 am

Her beak was HUGELY overgrown when she first came here -so much so that I don't know how that poor bird managed to eat enough to stay alive!- so I knew that her liver was in trouble but I still had hopes that I could keep her alive long enough for her to enjoy a good life for a while - but it was not to be, poor, poor thing!

On a happy note, I already adopted out 4 kittens and another one is getting picked up Sunday morning so I only have three left of this batch. Of course, I still have the four teeny tiny ones that are being bottle-fed and four more that are about 5 or 6 weeks old in my basement which I will bring up for vetting, socializing, etc. once I adopt out the last three of the second batch. First batch was 5 kittens [all adopted out], second batch was 8 kittens [5 gone and 3 to go], third batch is going to be four [the ones in the basement] and fourth another four [the teeny tiny ones]- and I will not be surprised if I end up with a late summer litter, too. And, in the middle of all this, one of my sons is coming over in September to visit with his wife and two kids... Now you all know why my favorite season is winter :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:57 am

I need to post a complete update but I thought I would let you know that Keku has started talking and she is on a roll! In the last two weeks, she has started saying "Come on" "Come here" "Pretty bird!" and "What a pretty bird!" [these two are said right after a wolf whistle] and "Que rick" which, I hope, will turn into either "Que rica papa" [what tasty food!] or 'Que rico beso [what tasty kiss] but I think it's the kiss one because she always says it after we kiss. Quakers are, in my personal opinion, excellent takers - and as smart as grays, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:45 am

How sweet.

I'll bet it feels like when your human baby began to talk.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales