Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Update on Simo the ringneck! :)

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Update on Simo the ringneck! :)

Postby Viatrixa » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:31 pm

WOW! Thank you for the idea :) I'll absolutely try that - and I have noticed the more I try to keep him from it the more he wants to try it. Keeping a cup of juice / natural "tea" (the one without caffeine) is an excellent idea. He definitely seems to always want what ever it is we're having (this is why we always specifically hand him some food while we have dinner, so he feels he eats with us and our "food".)
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:04 am

You have the right idea. The trick to cohabiting with parrots is not to stop them from having natural behaviors but to outsmart them (not as easy as it sounds though) so they can still do what they want (need?) to do but in a way that is safe for them and not too onerous on us.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:06 pm

My Meyers, Sunny is like that he wants to drink my water, sip my coffee, and touch everything that i have been touching. I let him touch my computer, mouse, cell phone, water cup. But when it comes to my coffee the most I let him do is touch my lip to get a taste of it. i used to try to keep him away from tasting my lips but it is SO important to him to taste everything i have eaten on my lips that I have given up and let him have that taste even though it doesnt seem like there is anything left on my lips . It means a lot to him to have that interaction with me.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales