Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Weirdo Patagonian

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Weirdo Patagonian

Postby galeriagila » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:33 pm

Now that I'm retired, I have nothing to do but puzzle over the dear weirdo Rb's behaviors. Here's an example. He has always loved (since he was a young rooster) to manage a situation such that he can look at me upside down, on a perch, on his cage, on the curtain rods... wherever... and make these clicking sounds and flex his wings. What's this all about????? A macho display of worth? Play? Boredom? Thanks for all thoughts!

Click!

galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Weirdo Patagonian

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:20 am

:lol: I really don't know why... But, if I had to make a guess, I would say that it's some sort of atavistic memory of wild behavior (I do believe that animals have a certain degree of hardwiring into their brains in terms of behaviors and captivity doesn't really nullify this). I mean, parrots perch up high so, naturally, most things to watch would be below them and, taking into consideration that Patagonians nest in high cliffs and go to them almost every day during the resting season, I would assume that this would make them more prone to 'think' that ALL things should be below them.

AND I have a surprise for you, Gail! Look what I found for you online yesterday doing research: the same book my brother got for me! Disfrutalo!

http://www.biouls.cl/public_php/img/Lib ... e_2014.pdf
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 am

Oh, Pajarita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
For the speculations on the upside-down stuff, but sooooooooooooo much for the book. I can tell you what I'll be doing for the next x hours... reading! (I love retirement)
Graaaaaaaaaaaaaacias! xoxoxo
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby galeriagila » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Pajarita, I am thoroughly enjoying that book. I skimmed through the whole thing and ogled the pictures. I'll start at the beginning again and take my time. I got most of the Spanish just fine, but I will definitely learn a few words the second time through (dictionary handy). There is so much information and detail about the birds. The photos are amazing. Also, I loved reading the researchers' personal statements about what the birds mean to them personally.

The four things that struck me MOST were...

The desolation and aridness of the land! I had seen photos of the nests and some countryside but nothing like the shots of them foraging on the ground among goat poop and dirt for nutrients.

Second, OMG, these guys work hard for their food and water. I had no idea how far they fly. And they face so many hazards going and coming.

Third, the discussion of males' behavior and especially the "sentinel" behavior. Fortunately, the Rbird has always had a second floor room, with windows overlooking busy streets. He is as vigilant as a Secret Service Agent on guard duty... oh, well, except for approximately 1-3 in the afternoon, when His Majesty takes his nap (as usual, since he was a chick). But other than that, if he is in his cage, he is the Mighty Patagonian Head Sentinel Rooster, watching over his flock and territory. I bet he is absolutely in his glory then, and I love that. I suspect that that whole situation is what kept him sane and healthy during all those years that I worked. He was on duty.

Lastly, I observed that they often perch on skinnier little limbs than you expect to see most parrots using. Of course! The scrubby little bushes don't have large limbs and trunks like jungle trees! So that's why the Rbird has those wimpy little pink cockatiel feet, and that's why he prefers skinny perches, especially for napping.

Pajarita, this book is the most wonderful gift I have had in ages. I absolutely love you AND this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:40 am

You are very welcome! I knew you would really enjoy it - and yes, the pictures and detail are AMAZING, aren't they? We are not so lucky in getting this depth of information on most other species... I am lucky that I can read in English, Spanish, Portuguese and French so, whenever I have the time, I do research on those languages (but mostly in Spanish and Portuguese because of the many South and Central American species) and every now and then I find veritable treasure troves like this book.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:10 pm

Pajarita,
Yeah, it turns out that my weirdo Patagonian isn't so weirdo at all. His little quirks and attitudes make sense against the backdrop of the original environments. I think I was probably very lucky to have a bird who was so content to roost high and be a little sentry all day. I may be fooling myself, but it makes me happy to think that he probably felt content or even fulfilled to be doing that. Then when I would get home, he would get so excited, because he knew that we'd have whatever time was left before dark.
I love that you speak all those languages. I learned English and what I know of Spanish in my home, so I took French in school, but to this day I mix it up with Spanish and I wish I had taken Spanish and just gotten more fluent. So I DARE not try to learn any Portuguese!
:redbelly:_____
If I put a tail on the Red Belly, it looks like a Rickeybird!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:38 pm

Yes, indeed! Every single parrot keeper should make researching the species in the wild a priority - and not only for their diet but also for their behaviors. It fosters a deeper understanding of what we might consider quirks or even 'bad' behavior.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby galeriagila » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:53 pm

And I'm so grateful to you and others here for all the help.

But that book really takes the cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:42 am

Yes, it does! And wouldn't it be wonderful if we had a book like that for every species?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby galeriagila » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:28 pm

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And somebody like you to ferret it out!
galeriagila
Amazon

Return to Parrot Tales