Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"He's so cute! NOW I WANT ONE!"

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

"He's so cute! NOW I WANT ONE!"

Postby Viatrixa » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:19 pm

I'm still quite the newbie when it comes to living with my pet bird, but also to be fair, I do feel I have a natural knack for it. Me and my husband are doing very well with his adorable green feathery butt - mostly because we feel that not only does he learn from us, but we learn from him too. Birds are a VERY different kind of a pet like that.

Little Simo is quite good with strangers and will even accept a treat from them, which prompted one person to want a pet bird of his own. :? This made me feel uncomfortable for a couple of reasons. They really, really shouldn't be a pet you take on a moment's whim. Even when we've had Simo for a year I can with honestly say that they take SO MUCH dedication and attention. They need your everyday care and love - one of the reasons I even believe hes doing so well is because I myself am at home almost all the time and he pretty much sees me do absolutely everything around the house, be it cleaning, cooking or even sleeping. We're in the same space all the time - and also due to my handicap I'm home like that. I myself consider birds to be exotic pets so they have their special needs too. I feel that life with him is INCREDIBLY rewarding, but also at the same time, I genuinely feel kind of twitchy about 'recommending' a pet bird to anyone.

Not only do you have to have a lot of patience, you have to know about your birds needs be it a budgie or a macaw. If you have more than one bird, you have to keep an eye out and make sure they get along. Is it odd I feel uncomfortable "recommending" a pet bird to people in general? Normally when I hear how someone wants a bird I start to ask them if they know the full extent of the care and dedication they need. Especially if the person wishes to get them because "Hey they talk and do tricks." If wish to put it in a lighthearted way, the creature you attempt to keep in a cage and make it talk is essentially a tiny dinosaur. I've heard about a lot of cases especially in the USA where someone will take a cockatoo on a whim and give it back a few weeks later because hey, it turned out to be an animal after all, and not a talking, dancing toy.

I also don't want to discourage anyone at all - but more like... enlighten people about the full responsibility that is a bird. "BUT I SAW A VIDEO OF A SWEETLY BEHAVING BIRD!" well, that bird and the owner probably have an amazing bond and it's owner has dedicated a lot of time and love to it. Is it strange that I think like this? Am I being terribly negative? I wouldn't change the time I've spent and will spend with Simo for ANYTHING, but regardless of my handicap, I feel I'm lucky that I get to be with him like that. I've only had him for a year, though, so maybe my observations could be wrong or too negative? What do you guys tell people who want a bird on a whim?
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: "He's so cute! NOW I WANT ONE!"

Postby liz » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:10 am

I say "no you don't". Then proceed to tell them that they are like children who will never grow up. When finished talking they have changed their minds. I tell them to volunteer at a rescue to see if they have the right stuff to care for a bird that could probably live beyond their years.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:16 am

Go to the toy store and buy a stuffed toy bird !

They don't actually want a bird they want a Simo, because they see how he is. They do not realize how much time and energy you have put into establishing the relationship that you have with him, or how much you have had to learn about him or the personal changes that you have had to make in order to live with him and to make your home safer for him as it is also his home.

What? Are you nuts, wanting to live with a bird in your home?

No you are not being negative, you have learned a lot, more than you could have known you would have to learn in order to get where you are with Simo and are still not done learning. They simply have no idea what it takes and the bird suffers for their lack of knowledge, until they do learn.

I have seven birds living with me and I never wanted the first one. I am amazed and fascinated by them and love them dearly, but would give them up instantly if I thought it would improve their lives.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:41 am

I think that anybody who takes the time to learn in depth about parrots physical and emotional needs realizes the HUGE enterprise that keeping them healthy and happy is and would discourage anybody from getting one. So, personally, I think you are perfectly normal in that. I, myself, discourage most people from owning one all the time - and I love them to pieces! The first thing I ask people is: will you be able to stay in whatever relationship you have now and at home all day long without going out more than a couple of hours for the next 30 or 40 years? Because if they are not, the life they are willing to offer the bird is not a good one. The problem is that people still believe that birds are low maintenance and that the 'wonderful' ones on YouTube doing tricks is what they will get regardless of what we say to them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:37 am

I agree , I agree I agree, and that's why I keep my moments private , videos pics. Etc, because everybody thinks there cute , cuddly and like you guys said little care. Throw a few seeds at it a piece of broccoli and a banana , nothing too it. Then like a lot of you can guess where they end up. I realize some people make a living promoting all the good times and responsible husbandry but facts are facts.There are those of you here I can share with and you get it.... This week alone my wallet is 700.00 lighter and before Huie gets his butt fixed another 800.00 and that's just in 7 days. I could care less about the money but when just one in the flock is having issues the rest have to take a back seat, never mind not enough time in a day to do what I need to do .Just one bird to care for properly will cost many thousands over a life time . I would like to run a rent a bird program 6 months supervised so the honeymoon period is over and let people see before they buy. I've got a few that would defenatly hurt the bird trade. :lol: mama's little darlings :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Viatrixa » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:54 pm

I honestly do think people who want a bird on a whim should spend some quality time in bird rescue centers - probably the best place to get a realistic hands on approach of how it is to live with a tiny dinosaur. Many people who do own and love their parrots compare them to children, and I can honestly say there's a good reason for it. They can seriously behave like toddlers, including throwing tantrums and being moody. And I can't for the life of me imagine one of these people who want a pet bird on a whim being able to handle that, to be honest.

Dogs also require a lot of responsibility and love, but they're a bit easier to care for in my honest opinion than a bird. They're not as "wild" like that, but are still a huge addition to the family. The thing with parrots is that they live long, long lives; in my opinion they seem to be the pets with the longest life spans, right up there with turtles & tortoises.

I think sharing cute moments and videos of a life with a bird are totally fine, but the owner should always, always make a point of explaining how much time, love and dedication there is.

I think this sums it up well!
Viatrixa
Conure

Postby liz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:38 am

I fully agree with all of the above. It should be required that a prospective owner volunteer at a shelter or go through training with a long time bird owner before they get their bird.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:48 am

I just read something that made me smile and reminded me of this thread: "Having a parrot is a walk in the park... Jurassic Park that is!"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:56 pm

The movie was filmed at my house!!!! :shock: :lol: bird woman
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Viatrixa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Pajarita wrote:I just read something that made me smile and reminded me of this thread: "Having a parrot is a walk in the park... Jurassic Park that is!"

I laughed so hard at this XD we have this Dinosaur toy and the other day Simo just kind of prodded until it tipped over. My husband just joked how "The new Jurassic Park movie looks very realistic!"
Viatrixa
Conure

Next

Return to Parrot Tales