Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello All!!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Hello All!!

Postby Blu » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Hello everyone, I thought I would stop by and post a little update :D The birds are doing great, Connor is as spoiled as ever and Blu is still a feisty little budgie :lol: I got sent a link earlier today from my brother about a parrotlet thats looking for a new home in rochester, I might be adopting him. I am not entirely sure if I will since I am going to being going to PA school next year and I would have to leave him with my family. I would be worried that if I formed a good bond with him leaving him wouldnt be that good for him. What would you all suggest? And maybe would anyone be interested in taking him?
Blu the Budgie :budgie2:

Connor the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Blu
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet, Cinnamon Green cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello All!!

Postby liz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:27 am

Good to hear from you about your birdies.

With the number of birds that I have I have to stick to just the 2 species. I can't take the little bird who needs rehomed.

What condition is that bird living in? Does his human respect him enough to wait for a good home or just give him up?

Most every critter in my life has been a rescue. I have 12 cockatiels that came from bad places and even some that are handicapped because of humans. I never expected them to bond with me since they have a history of being hurt by humans but I gave them refuge and a better life. Some are trying to get over their fear and bond but others just watch me when I go in their room. No matter how they feel about me, I know that they are safe and happy and that is what I wanted.

Find out the condition the little bird is in. If it is bad I WOULD take him and let him be a bird even if it did not bond with me it will bond to my home and accept the love my family gives him.
I
Some of my birds claim some of my furry critters as friends. Rambo claims Riddick the dog and calls "c'mere Riddick c'mere boy". Sweetie the Cockatiel used to go to the bottom of her cage to tweet to her friend Fancy cat. It happened often. While I pet Jasmine the dog Myrtle would land on us to pet her too. She also did this with my Sqeekie cat.

Question is, are you willing to give him a good home even if he does not bond to you. If you are away it could bond to another family member and be happy.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:51 am

Well, one always 'feels' for the poor bird and the first impulse is always to take it in but, in your case, I would not. Plets are not easy birds to keep, especially if they are by themselves and what little time you will have left will have to be for your GCC because, even though you will be going to school, he still needs hours and hours of one-on-one. Why don't you get Blu a mate? That will not only make him super happy, it will make thing easier on you, too...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Blu » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Well Pajarita its a matter of convincing the parents. Even though I pay for everything with them they don't want another bird in the house. Do you have any unpaired budgies? ;) :lol:

Blu
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:06 pm

No, I would never even consider having a small species on its own. As a matter of fact, I actively look for mates for all my unpaired birds and, right now, there is only one left that needs a 'husband' :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Blu » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:03 am

Well you all managed to convince me, I bought another friend for Blu today. His name is Frederick (Freddy for short) and he is already chirping and watching everything thats going on. Merry Christmas Everyone!!

Blu
Conure

Postby liz » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:39 am

I know you have it in quarantine but is it close enough to hear Blu? They will usually call back and forth and become friends before they meet.

When the Love Bird Tweetle Dumb died I searched for another to keep Tweetle Dee company. I could not find one who needed a new home. I did find one that needed a buddy too. I had to give him up so he could be happy. That was hard and I am glad you did not go through that.

Give us an update when you can.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:20 pm

Awwww, that's GREAT news! What a wonderful Christmas present for Blu! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :danicing: :danicing:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Blu » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:51 pm

Yep they are calling back and forth already, Im a little worried because he doesn't seem to be eating. I noticed he picked at the seed it looked like but thats it.

Blu
Conure

Postby liz » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:23 am

It has ben a while since you have had a new bird. The only comfort he has is hearing the others.
Even birds who come from very bad places and into your care they are still tramatized by leaving what they had and being put in a new world.

If you can move a perch up to your face level. They are afraid of hands but not faces.
Try to limit your one on one contact but be near him as much as possible for him to watch you. He needs to realize that you are not going to eat him.
I put mine in a high traffic area. She not only got used to my voice and personality she also learned about the other critters in the house.
He does not yet have the other bird to teach him. Eat in front of him and share the safe food from you plate such as one piece of macaroni or a corner of your toast. Neither one of those are great for birds but it is a way of getting then curious of other foods.

Of course you already know this but I am just giving you a refresher course.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Next

Return to Parrot Tales