Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Reading the Rickeybird's Mind

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Reading the Rickeybird's Mind

Postby liz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 am

:lol: I believe they can snap a knuckle.
Every once in a while Rainbow or Myrtle chomp down on a knuckle just to show me they can hurt me if they wanted to.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm sure they feel very benevolent!

Annnnnnnnnnd...

galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby liz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:24 am

:lol:

:rainbow: Their tongues are dry. How do they manage to hold onto the meat of a nut while letting the shells fall?
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Birds tongues are all very different and very specific to their dietary ecology with parrots having powerful muscles in theirs. And anybody who has tried to medicate a large bird with a syringe knows this to be true because they use it as a stopper for the opening of the syringe and no matter how hard you push that plunger, it doesn't move and no medicine comes out :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:10 pm

A lory has an odd little, furry-looking tongue. As nectar eaters, it must work out for them.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby galeriagila » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:05 pm

So interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of weeks ago at a visit with our world-class avian vet, he let me watch as he collected the beak/throat sample... MANNNNNNNNNNN, the Rb's tongue was like a NINJA, blocking and jabbing and thrusting.

You gotta admire a great avian vet. They're master craftsmen/women. They handle birds so brilliantly. My vet also treats birds at the Natural History Museum and consults with our zoo. Eagles, vultures. So the Rb is putty in his hands.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby galeriagila » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:26 pm

galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Navre wrote:A lory has an odd little, furry-looking tongue. As nectar eaters, it must work out for them.

Yes, nectar and pollen feeders have a little 'brush' at the end to 'collect' the food except for the hummingbirds that have a forked tongue that curls up lengthwise (from each side inward) so, when they eat, it uncurls so they can lap up the nectar and, when they close the beak, they become a pair of 'straws' that prevent the nectar from spilling out. And, to make this even more interesting (fantastic?) this curling and uncurling is done through mechanical physical forces (muscles that contract and relax when the beak opens and closes) so the hummingbird itself doesn't have to think or move a single muscle, its body does it by itself through the magic of evolution! Aren't birds the most wonderful animals ever?!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:49 pm

galeriagila wrote:So interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of weeks ago at a visit with our world-class avian vet, he let me watch as he collected the beak/throat sample... MANNNNNNNNNNN, the Rb's tongue was like a NINJA, blocking and jabbing and thrusting.

You gotta admire a great avian vet. They're master craftsmen/women. They handle birds so brilliantly. My vet also treats birds at the Natural History Museum and consults with our zoo. Eagles, vultures. So the Rb is putty in his hands.

Well, not all 'bird professionals' handle them brilliantly... When I took Freddy to the vet, they gave him the first dosage of his meds before he left and it took two technicians almost 5 minutes to manage it when it takes me a few seconds. But, in all honesty, Freddy is unusually easy to handle but they had no way of knowing this because he had never been there before so they followed the 'normal' protocol: toweling, one person holding and the other medicating, etc. I just put Freddy on a perch at my head level and holding his head in my left hand, put the syringe into his lower beak and press the plunger - and that's that!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:07 pm

I like the safe word.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle