Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Simo passed away.

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Simo passed away.

Postby Viatrixa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:33 am

I'm absolutely devastated by grief.

Simo passed away today, and it literally happened in the span of two hours. When he woke up, he was completely normal and fine. Then suddenly he went to the bottom of his cage and just slumped in a corner. Me and my husband knew immediately that something was very, very wrong, and we rushed him to the vet. They examined him and told us with honesty that he's very, very ill - and gave him some painkillers.

Then he just passed away. Just like that, he was gone. Right in front of us. They didn't even have time to put him down, he just simply went. He went much like he lived though - on his own birdy terms. He wasn't in any pain and he looked so peaceful after he had gone.

We had him only for such a short time, hardly a year, but he was everything to us. He was our sunshine, our ray of light. A reason to get up and reason to smile. Just a day or so ago he learned to finally trust hands and step up. We were bonding so wonderfully. And now we'll never hear him peep contently, or laugh at us. He'll never again demand millet and spend hours staring at me curiously. Everything reminds me of him; his perches, cage, food bowls, the pieces of millet in my pockets. The grief is seriously indescribable. The sole consoling fact I guess, is that he went very, very quickly. He didn't suffer. He just exited this world.

RIP my little green ray of light. I miss you so, so dearly already - and I hope you'll find all the millet in the great beyond. Fly high my love - I miss you so dearly already.
Viatrixa
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parent reared male indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: Simo passed away.

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:46 am

I am so saddened to hear this news, I know how it feels to lose a close friend and at this time I have no words that can possibly make this any easier, but do want you to know that I do understand.

The hardest thing about this is that I do need to let you know that you really should have a necropsy done to determine the cause of death. This is not the best time to say this but it is the best time to have it done. With Simo having been so young it is very likely that this passing was due to a genetic defect in his internal organs due to improper breeding practices. I know that none of this is what you want to hear and it is not what I want to have to say. Still it should be done.

Again, I am so sorry to hear of Simo's passing and will be here for you if you want someone to talk to.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Viatrixa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:41 am

Wolf wrote:I am so saddened to hear this news, I know how it feels to lose a close friend and at this time I have no words that can possibly make this any easier, but do want you to know that I do understand.

The hardest thing about this is that I do need to let you know that you really should have a necropsy done to determine the cause of death. This is not the best time to say this but it is the best time to have it done. With Simo having been so young it is very likely that this passing was due to a genetic defect in his internal organs due to improper breeding practices. I know that none of this is what you want to hear and it is not what I want to have to say. Still it should be done.

Again, I am so sorry to hear of Simo's passing and will be here for you if you want someone to talk to.

Yes - we donated his body to them so they could see what went wrong. After this post the veterinarians called us and pretty much told us pretty much what you suspected. I have since then found out that the place where we got him from is legal - but not exactly reputable. I've also obtained rather dodgy accounts and information about the place; their birds tend to not be quite "there", and people buying them are advised to not breed them which is a huge, huge red flag. Regardless of how I'm absolutely devastated I'm also going to thoroughly dedicate some of my time to inform and educate people about the place where we got him from. Potential bird owners deserve better, not to mention the poor poor birds themselves. Eventually, in time, we felt we did so good with our baby boy heaven rest his soul that we will get another bird, but this time we will be very, very careful about where we will buy / adopt it from.
Viatrixa
Conure

Postby liz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:17 am

I am so sorry for you loosing him. I have also felt the pain and can sympathize with you.
Take time to mourn but don't go near non bird people until you slow down on your mourning.

You loved Simo so much that when you are able I am glad you are willing to get another. There will never be another Simo and the next one will have to carve out his own place in your heart.

Please consider adopting a bird already through puberty or even rescuing one. Mine are all rescues who took different amounts of time to come to me but they all at least stand still so we can talk face to face. Some of them I thought would never trust a human again but they are coming around.

Sterilize all of Simo's things since you did not find out what he really died of. We parrot parronts are all with you.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Viatrixa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:34 am

Yes, we absolutely consider adopting our next parrot because there are some budgies and cockatiels that seem to need it, so that will probably be our future aim here. The vets suggested we sterilize his things too - we don't apparently have to chuck anything out but a thorough good clean up should do the trick, as well as a night out in the winter days when they come to freeze some of the bacteria off.

Even though most of my friends aren't parrot people, they are actually pet people and they have shown incredible support because they know how bad it would hurt if their pet was in a bad way.

Thank you so much for your kind words <3
Viatrixa
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:28 pm

Oh, my goodness, Viatrixa, what heartbreak!!! :cry: I am sooooo sorry for your loss! Poor little guy... at least, he had a good life and love in his very short life.

Why did the vet say you have to disinfect his stuff? What, exactly, was it that they found? Because, if it had been a genetic defect, there would be no need for sterilizing anything so I am wondering if he had a disease that he acquired in the nest and, if this is the case, what was it...

I have to tell you though that I always found it strange that he was so tame when he had been parent-raised because these birds are iffy even when handfed.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Sammie's Mama » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:13 pm

Oh Viatrixa, I am so sorry for your loss......
I'm new to the forum, I have a 24 yr. old Goffin Cockatoo named Sammie. He's my only bird, but I have had doggies and kitty's that have crossed "The Rainbow Bridge" and it is was so hard to lose them. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. (Big HUGS) From Us :cockatoo:
Sammie's Mama
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo

Postby Viatrixa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:07 am

Thank you so much for all your kind words <3

Pajarita, the whole disinfect / thorough clean suggestion wasn't because of what Simo really had but a thing to do just in case - the healthy smart thing to do when we do get another little dinosaur so everything is nice and fresh for him / her. He didn't have anything infections (which I guess is a very good thing).

I have no idea how we got so lucky with him - he was very iffy when he came to us, and shy with people. He turned into an affectionate lil guy who even started to seek out contact actively. I have a feeling it was a combination of luck and education; I feel I got a LOT of support from these forums, I did lots of research and even read Michael's book. We kind of went at it on his terms. It's a challenge to understand a bird's needs but I do have a feeling we got it right, at least partially.

I'm going to make a little memento by tying together some of his feathers and a strand of millet.
Viatrixa
Conure

Return to Parrot Tales