Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flying home

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Flying home

Postby Erithacus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:43 pm

Eclipse and Zico, both GCC are trained to fly home from the opposite house (without leash).

Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.
Flight: Yes

Re: Flying home

Postby liz » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:34 am

That is beautiful but also scary. I would be afraid that a preditor was outside waiting for them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:02 am

liz wrote:That is beautiful but also scary. I would be afraid that a preditor was outside waiting for them.

When I was at the park the leash somehow slipped and Rocko must have got spooked and as soon as he took flight and flock of birds went after him and a Blackbird scared the others way and led me to his location and he was on top of a tree and I had to climb up and get him and the Blackbird stayed with me until Rocko was down safely.I am always looking in the sky now whenever I have the birds outside.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:41 am

I would never dare allow my birds to fly without a leash... Not that I do it with a leash, either, but I could see myself doing with one for a very special, very large bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Your really supposed to prepare them for Free flight.You should check out Chris Biro's course at www.Libertywings.com its the only science based training.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:29 pm

Science-based? :lol: I don't think so but, if it was, his 'science' is not too good because he has lost a number of birds over the years...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Pajarita wrote:Science-based? :lol: I don't think so but, if it was, his 'science' is not too good because he has lost a number of birds over the years...

Thats just what I have heard everybody saids "Its the only science based course" I dont know anything about him just heard recently.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Erithacus » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:39 am

If you had watched carefully, I was outside holding the bird. Once I released the bird, the bird flew straight home.
Last edited by Erithacus on Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:53 pm

Although I would not free fly any of my birds, mostly due to the fact that they have never done it before and because I do not know enough to feel that I could train them well enough to do it reliably, I have watched all of your videos and admired all of the pictures that you have posted and am well aware of how carefully you have proceeded with the training of all of your birds. I know that with the GCC's that you began with very carefully choosing them while they were babies, even before they were weaned, looking for certain traits in them and through your postings and videos, I have been able to glimpse how carefully you have been with their training and Think that you have done a wonderful job with them. Thank you so much for sharing all of the pictures and photos, please keep up the great work.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Erithacus » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:03 am

I have stopped free flying my conures at the playground. They are no longer responsive and I have problem recalling them at the playground. The only 'free flight' I am doing right now with them is the one you saw in the video. This is the easiest free flight. It lasts less than 2 secs. :lol: :lol:
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Next

Return to Parrot Tales