Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Giant Hawk (maybe?) Attacks My Birds Through The Window!!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Giant Hawk (maybe?) Attacks My Birds Through The Window!!

Postby EllenD » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:55 am

I have never seen anything like this before, and I'm still a bit shaken by it. It's cold here right now, it's been in the 50's during the day, 40's at night, and I'm not really sure what type of bird this was, I'm guessing some kind of hawk. It was HUGE with a massive wing span, dark brown, and apparently fearless.

I have a really large bay window in the front of my house overlooking my front yard. It's in my living room, and my couch is directly in front of the window, pushed against the wall and the large window sill. My birds all absolutely love to look out this window at the bird's outside, people, etc., and if I'm on the couch watching TV they will jump back and forth from me to the window. They have a pillow that I prop up against the window and they perch on top of so they can see better, and they'll sit there for hours. I was laying on the couch watching TV, my cockatiel was sitting on my chest sleeping while the Quaker and the green cheek were sitting on the pillow looking outside. They must have been there for at least an hour, behaving the so I was happy, when all of a sudden I heard them both squawking and screaming and they both took off (my green cheek can't fly right now, he's clipped due to an injury) so he jumped down onto my shoulder. I turned around and right outside the window was this MASSIVE brown bird, wings fully opened as he was almost hovering in front of the window. He had swooped down at them, probably thinking he would grab them, but obviously didn't know that the window was there. The amazing thing is that once he saw me he didn't leave, he kept going up and gliding back down towards the window. I guess we're lucky he didn't fly into the window, it happens occasionally with other birds, and he would have broken it for sure.

Just an interesting story that scared the daylights out of me. I've heard of hawks swooping down and grabbing pet birds that were outside and flying off with them. This will make me rethink them being outside on the aviator harnesses any time soon. You just had to see the wing span on this bird, he was like Rodan!
EllenD
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 14
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon-Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Blue Monk Parakeet
12 EnglishxAmerican Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Giant Hawk (maybe?) Attacks My Birds Through The Window!!

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:42 am

Yes, aerial predators are a big concern of mine when it comes to birds been outside whether on a harness or not because if a hawk grabs one, the harness and the leash mean NOTHING! Why don't you try putting UV decals on these windows? I don't know if they will work to deter the hawk but, at least, they will tell him that there is a window there...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:22 pm

Just the other day a red tail hawk was perched outside the picture window looking at some of my birds as if they were snacks. The neighbors have had problems loosing chickens lately and if they would take a chicken I'm sure mine would also serve as a snack. I'm very cautious and always make sure there are at least one person per bird when outside.BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:24 am

In NC a screech owl thought my little yellow birds were lunch and would hit the window. The birds made an awful racket. My son is in progress of putting hardware cloth with the screens. We have many preditors here and I am not going to give one a chance for a free lunch.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Parrot Tales