Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lhakyi

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Lhakyi

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:24 am

Is Lhakyi a boy for sure? Have you checked his tail undercoverts?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:22 pm

Beautifull parrot and i am happy he has you.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Erithacus » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Yes, I have checked his tail undercoverts. There are differences in physical appearance between Kilaya and Lhakyi, exactly the same like the breeding pairs own by my friends. The previous owner told me Lhakyi is a boy.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:11 am

Oh, cool, new info! What other physical characteristics are different in males from females? The only one I know is the tail undercoverts and I never noticed anything else but then, I've only had one male CAG so maybe I missed something.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Erithacus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 am

The beak in the male is larger. Female has rounder head whereas the male's is more squarish.
Male's plumage is typically darker but this is not always the case. One of my friend's pair, the female is darker. Overall, female looks more slender.

My wife is cuddling Lhakyi.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:37 am

Ah, yes, the round versus square head difference is typical of all parrot species but I find it almost impossible to notice unless I am looking at an adult pair standing side by side. I did not know about the beak but I would imagine is like the head shape, unless you can compare them, you can't really tell.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Erithacus » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:49 pm

Once my friend brought his male CAG to my house. My wife was telling me Kilaya's beak looked smaller. I wasn't able to tell until I got Lhakyi 2 weeks ago and I have more time to analyse the physical difference between them. You need a male and a female side by side to learn to see the difference. I usually checked the underside of the tail of my friends' breeding pairs. This is the easiest way to tell the genders.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:49 am

I agree. Personally, if it wasn't for the tail undercoverts, I would not be able to tell the gender. But I am able to do it with amazons and quakers which are monomorphic - and I am VERY accurate even though I don't know what it is that I see that tells me their gender but I think it's behavior.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Erithacus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:48 am

1st outdoor with me. Getting some morning sunshine.
Kilaya ...cag
Erithacus
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:56 am

Looking good! But... does he have an unilateral clip? On the picture, it seems that his right wing is clipped but his left isn't - is this so?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales