Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Oscar's Job

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:25 am

Rmoses wrote:Top
Re: My work
Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:44 am

Pajarita wrote:
Please, my dear, ask the man to join a birdsite instead (I want to say this one but I don't want to sound as if I was selling anything). I realize that your intentions are good but you really don't have that any experience and, most importantly, you are NOT the bird's owner.

Im a parrot trainer pajarita I have been doing it a long time now I went down today great progress I was touching his head and beak and his owner was too.And we tried getting him to step up he was a little scared im gonna go back down again he said he was happy with the progress and he paid me.
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1558
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes



Above is a post that Parrots for Life posted a couple of years ago. He states he is a parrot trainer and that he gets paid for it. There is an entire thread named: My Work by Parrots for Life. If you click on his name and go the profile page, at the bottom right is the history of his posts and the most prolific is the one quoted here. You can read all the post related to it if you would like.
Now earlier in this thread we are currently in , in reply to my post, Parrots for Life made the statement that he never said he was a professional parrot trainer. I think that the above quote shows that to be a false statement. In the My Work thread he also provides a link to his website that includes the words parrot trainer.
Now, I could care less what this what this 16 year old, unmature, uninformed teenager has to say about me. But I get tired of the disrespect and arguing he continually hands out to the people that are the core of this helpful forum. We just lost Wolf, so I hope that Pajarita, Liz and Birdwoman can continue to give help and advice to the many that look for help when they join this forum. They know a heck of a lot more about parrots than I and that Irish teenager know and my hats off to them. You ladies take care of yourselves, we need you.
Rick


I shouldn't even have to bring this up but yes I was training parrots a couple of years ago and I told everyone here I was going to stop so I could focus on my own birds and I was talking to Wolf about it and he guided me in the right direction and I'm now boarding parrots when their owners go on holiday and trimming their nails etc, To be honest I am more mature than you from what I see theres actually a lot of immature adults out there, The only people on here I have argued with is you and Paj so get your facts right before ranting about me and I actually care what Pajarita has to say her opinions matter to me, You have never said anything to me but try to start a fight so what does that say about you? You don't give any information or try to help but every time you comment on a thread I started its to stir up trouble, Im not even gonna continue this any further its a complete waste of my time.You don't know me and why mention I'm Irish? Sounds like you don't like Irish people or something well I'm also half cast, Experience comes from learning so I probably know a lot more about Parrots than you do as well and I will continue to give advice to members :) I don't really like forums I prefer to use the groups on Facebook the only reason I have stayed here is because I actually learn a lot more here and Pajarita and I may have had several arguments in the past but she can be helpful and anything she has to say now I question and ask why she thinks this.Oh and when I was training parrots I never did say I was a "Professional" So I don't know where you got that from and you know you don't have to comment on my threads and your the only one I see being disrespectful and you wouldn't know this but Wolf had given me a lot of advice and he was friends with Paj and he told me how to go about talking to her so I'm gonna use that advice with you now bye and if you have anything else to say take it to PM because this forum is not the place for this.
Last edited by ParrotsForLife on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1603
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:33 am

Oh and yeah that was 2015 wow well let me tell you something, The way we think changes as we get older and become more experienced.Well let me just show you how exactly I would respond to Pajarita in 2017.

Pajarita wrote:
"Please, my dear, ask the man to join a birdsite instead (I want to say this one but I don't want to sound as if I was selling anything). I realize that your intentions are good but you really don't have that any experience and, most importantly, you are NOT the bird's owner."

Pajarita your right i'll let him know about this forum and maybe he will learn more here and can work with the bird himself, My intentions were good I just wanted to help a lot of people with their problems and I'm not the birds owner which I realised with my own birds nobody else could work with them but me because I am the person they know and trust.In the end this didn't seem to be a good man as he sold the Grey and wanted to get a Cockatoo so as I just wanted to help and my intentions were good I probably just made things worse.After I stopped training others parrots I changed the name of my Facebook page and started giving people tips instead and made files on my group.See how much an answer can change in your mind over time :)
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1603
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby stevesjk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:08 am

What quarantine procedures do you have in place while boarding unknown birds at your house with your own parrots?
stevesjk
Cockatiel
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 52
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:59 am

stevesjk wrote:What quarantine procedures do you have in place while boarding unknown birds at your house with your own parrots?

All this was already asked, Wolf and I used to talk a lot over PM and this thread is not about me so stay on topic
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1603
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby stevesjk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:41 am

I know its not about you - its about birds, as are all other threads.

I just wondered what you were doing to ensure the safety of your flock while you bring other birds into your home to board who's medical history aren't known to you?
stevesjk
Cockatiel
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 52
Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 am

stevesjk wrote:I know its not about you - its about birds, as are all other threads.

I just wondered what you were doing to ensure the safety of your flock while you bring other birds into your home to board who's medical history aren't known to you?

Well unless your planning on boarding yourself there is no reason for me to repeat it, Its not exactly a short answer.And I haven't exactly boarded many except for my Aunts conures that visit all the time which I know are healthy and then theres Spyro and the pair of lovebirds that came with papers and they are all the birds I have boarded I wouldn't take in any birds that could possibly be sick and the conures I would allow to have contact with my birds.
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1603
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Brandon, I don't know what kind of papers you are talking about but asymptomatic carriers are one of the reasons why I don't board anybody else's birds unless it's an emergency or I know the birds from way back or board my own.

And, not to add fuel to the fire, but you did portray yourself as a professional trainer on the site you had opened for it.

Regardless, taking a bird outside the way you do is dangerous and has no benefit to the bird (he is not visiting with 'friends', Brandon) - it's actually bad for it. If you want the bird to get sunshine, take him outside in your backyard. And, if you want the bird to fly on a leash for exercise, wait until he is an adult and get him used to going out very gradually and very slowly. I keep on telling you, you are used to cockatiels and amazons are not like them, you stress them out and they will remember forever and lose their trust in you. They will not act on this when they are babies but wait a few years and the bird will attack you on sight.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 10567
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Pajarita wrote:Brandon, I don't know what kind of papers you are talking about but asymptomatic carriers are one of the reasons why I don't board anybody else's birds unless it's an emergency or I know the birds from way back or board my own.

And, not to add fuel to the fire, but you did portray yourself as a professional trainer on the site you had opened for it.

Regardless, taking a bird outside the way you do is dangerous and has no benefit to the bird (he is not visiting with 'friends', Brandon) - it's actually bad for it. If you want the bird to get sunshine, take him outside in your backyard. And, if you want the bird to fly on a leash for exercise, wait until he is an adult and get him used to going out very gradually and very slowly. I keep on telling you, you are used to cockatiels and amazons are not like them, you stress them out and they will remember forever and lose their trust in you. They will not act on this when they are babies but wait a few years and the bird will attack you on sight.

Thanks for that, I haven't taken him out to fly on his harness yet as I was waiting until he got comfortable being outside and we have gone on a few short walks taking advantage of the nice weather we have been getting and I can tell he is more and more comfortable because he has started talking outside and acting like he does at home and since you mentioned it I will wait until he is an adult to start flying either way he still needs to work on flying indoors so no need to rush him into flying outdoors.And what do you mean by their not his friends? Do you mean he would only see the people he lives with as friends? Also I don't remember calling myself a "Professional" and I remember Wolf and I talked about that and he called me an aspiring trainer and he gave me lots of tips if I wanted to become a professional but I never did call myself that in the beginning and Wolf also told me that I don't need to label myself if I wanted to train parrots for people and it was Michael who suggested I focus on my own birds first specifically Mango and thats when I stopped training others parrots.Thanks Pajarita ill have to think through everything and make sure I am doing everything right and if I have any questions ill ask.
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1603
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Parrots have all kinds of different relationships. They have their mates (which, in the wild, they choose out of a large pool), flock mates (which are more like relatives so there isn't a whole lot of choosing on their part) and they have actual friends they hang out with but just because a parrot has lived in a store or a house with other parrots, it doesn't make them 'friends'. And, when I say gradually I don't mean taking him out for a trip that involves waiting and riding a bus filled with strange people, that's way too stressful for them. I mean taking him out starting with just a few minutes to the backyard, then once he is OK with this, start taking him out on the street where there are other people for a few minutes and over the course of months, increase the time period as well as make the destinations more diverse. You tend to misread their body language, Brandon, and assume they are happy and interested in their surroundings when, in reality, the bird is scared and feeling terribly vulnerable which causes high stress to them. Cockatiels and other small and sweet-tempered species are usually more flock oriented than the large ones so forcing them into strange situations doesn't have the same consequences than it would with large ones. Even some large species don't do so badly under this kind of stress... Macaws are very easy going birds for all their large size and humongous beaks but amazons are not. They are not the most forgiving of birds and they have no problem whatsoever biting the heck out of their beloved or attacking somebody much, much larger than they are. Even a male, which would literally give his life in order to protect its mate, has no problem giving that same beloved mate a good bite if he feels she is doing something she shouldn't be. And their bites are BAD - and you have not only a male but a BlueFront, one of the 'hot three'!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is female
Posts: 10567
Location: NE New Jersey
Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar's Job

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Pajarita wrote:Parrots have all kinds of different relationships. They have their mates (which, in the wild, they choose out of a large pool), flock mates (which are more like relatives so there isn't a whole lot of choosing on their part) and they have actual friends they hang out with but just because a parrot has lived in a store or a house with other parrots, it doesn't make them 'friends'. And, when I say gradually I don't mean taking him out for a trip that involves waiting and riding a bus filled with strange people, that's way too stressful for them. I mean taking him out starting with just a few minutes to the backyard, then once he is OK with this, start taking him out on the street where there are other people for a few minutes and over the course of months, increase the time period as well as make the destinations more diverse. You tend to misread their body language, Brandon, and assume they are happy and interested in their surroundings when, in reality, the bird is scared and feeling terribly vulnerable which causes high stress to them. Cockatiels and other small and sweet-tempered species are usually more flock oriented than the large ones so forcing them into strange situations doesn't have the same consequences than it would with large ones. Even some large species don't do so badly under this kind of stress... Macaws are very easy going birds for all their large size and humongous beaks but amazons are not. They are not the most forgiving of birds and they have no problem whatsoever biting the heck out of their beloved or attacking somebody much, much larger than they are. Even a male, which would literally give his life in order to protect its mate, has no problem giving that same beloved mate a good bite if he feels she is doing something she shouldn't be. And their bites are BAD - and you have not only a male but a BlueFront, one of the 'hot three'!

I get what you mean though that is what I did, I started off only taking him into the garden and then we started walking to the park which doesn't have many people and in the Summer I will take him to the bigger park, I don't think he gets stressed around people though I cant really tell but we can in a way though if he didn't like strangers being around them he wouldn't be trying to get a reaction out of them for example he would start acting silly and talking more and making noises knowing that these strangers will laugh and talk to him though when we are on the bus there aren't a lot of people and we sit away from everybody else.Also Oscar did not come from a store so when I said his friends I meant the birds at the store that he would only see sometimes but now from what you said I understand how he might view them.Oscar hasn't actually been on the bus many times and I wouldn't get the bus if it was walking distance, We first started going for rides in the car and he enjoyed that and I can tell he's not fully comfortable with the bus yet because if he was I know he would be talkative.When we do go to the small park which we walk to then we usually just sit on a bench and sometimes people would walk past and look, We could have went for more car rides until he was fully comfortable being in a moving vehicle but my mam cant drive the car at the moment and I have no plans for using the bus anytime before April 7th.
User avatar
ParrotsForLife
African Grey
 
Gender: This parrot forum member is male
Posts: 1603
Location: Ireland,Dublin
Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron
Parrot ForumArticles IndexTraining Step UpParrot Training BlogPoicephalus Parrot InformationParrot Wizard Store