Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Oscar's Day Out | St Patricks Day

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Oscar's Day Out | St Patricks Day

Postby liz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:15 am

I find that even when their plates hold the same food as mine they would rather steal from my plate.

So happy that you and Oscar had a good day out.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:42 am

liz wrote:I find that even when their plates hold the same food as mine they would rather steal from my plate.

So happy that you and Oscar had a good day out.

When we are having dinner if its something good for him to eat I will put his bowl on the table beside me and he will eat from it but if its in his cage he wont wanna eat it lol
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:44 am

Bird woman wrote:That's because he doesn't recognize the garbage food as real food. Somebody { possibly your aunt } was smart enough to teach him to eat right when he was young . Isn't that where it starts for all of us and every living being. Think about it , how do are bad habits get started ( monkey see monkey do ) :lol: BW

Or maybe he was never offered any garbage food except for the all seed diet he was on and before that he would have been on formula.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:53 am

Bird woman wrote:Yes they are and I'm happy you realize that. Some or should I say most of these birds I've taken in have developed a taste for salty ,greasy ,fast foods thanks to the previous owners thinking it's okay to let them eat it. It has taken me sometimes years and lots of ingenuity to get them on track with a proper diet and a lot of money in vet bills trying to reverse the harm. It's best to let the bird develop recognition and Taste for proper foods before we let them have a taste of the DARK SIDE ! :lol: oh by the way he looks rather dapper in his saint paddys day attire. :D BW

Actually, it's not that they 'develop' a taste for it, it's programmed into them by nature because abundant sources of protein or even salt are not found in nature even though both are necessary for life. It's the same thing with people... we can't get enough of all the things that are bad for us because of the same reason: our bodies evolve to eat a hunter/forager diet while we worked for it but nowadays nobody has to hunt or forage and we have all this processed high fat, high salt, high sugar food easily available and cheap to us in the supermarket and we are the worst for it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales