Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Oscar was brilliant!!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Oscar was brilliant!!

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:14 pm

I have no school this week as I'm supposed to be doing work experience in a Nursing home with Oscar well anyways they lost my insurance form so I had to go up to the school and get another and I took Oscar with me and the Principle held him and the staff saw him and he said Hello repeatedly to everyone and other noises and was so well behaved, He really does love to talk lol and if he hears someone say Hello even on Tv he just has to reply.After we left the school we went to the Nursing home and I handed in the insurance form so I will ring later and make sure it got to the right person.For those that don't know Oscar will be going to my school on April 7th to raise money for the school which was my idea as the senior students go away to Zambia every year and help out there, I will be talking to everyone about Parrots in general and a little about Oscar and if they want they will be able to take a picture with him, The plan is for everyone to bring in 2 euros which will go towards the schools Zambia project.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Oscar was brilliant!!

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:18 am

Oscars first day in the Nursing home was ok, They were playing a quiz while Oscar and I sat and watched and they were talking to him too and they cant wait to see him again tomorrow.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby stevesjk » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:50 am

I hope you use the opportunity to tell people you meet that parrots can make very difficult pets because you'll be introducing oscar to many impressionable minds that will be nagging their parents for a parrot the minute they get home. That'll be another few dozen landing up in rescues in a few years. You need to make this clear in your talks and if people really want one to bypass breeders and adopt.

Maybe you could take a leaflet with a local parrot rescue details on and pass it around during your talks.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 am

stevesjk wrote:I hope you use the opportunity to tell people you meet that parrots can make very difficult pets because you'll be introducing oscar to many impressionable minds that will be nagging their parents for a parrot the minute they get home. That'll be another few dozen landing up in rescues in a few years. You need to make this clear in your talks and if people really want one to bypass breeders and adopt.

Maybe you could take a leaflet with a local parrot rescue details on and pass it around during your talks.

There are no rescues as I've mentioned quite a lot before and I'm aware of that, Everyone in my school already knows Oscar and sees him on Facebook all the time and they always say they would love one but most of them know or have had experience with Parrots before.Personally I think a rescue should be set up for Parrots not that there are many needing homes here but just for those few that need a new home.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Bird woman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was just going to ask you why you weren't in school this morning when I came across this new thread . You must have been reading my mind. You started with having a week off. I think it's great to help raise money but careful not to stress your bird . You say there are no rescues around there , do you know how far is the closest one? Do they have animal control centers there like we do over here? Just curious about how things are done over there in the pet industry. :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 am

Bird woman wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I was just going to ask you why you weren't in school this morning when I came across this new thread . You must have been reading my mind. You started with having a week off. I think it's great to help raise money but careful not to stress your bird . You say there are no rescues around there , do you know how far is the closest one? Do they have animal control centers there like we do over here? Just curious about how things are done over there in the pet industry. :D BW

Yes there are pet rescues and dog rescues but none at all specifically for birds and I've never seen a Parrot listed for adoption there before.I have to be careful that I don't get stressed lol Oscar loves the reactions and attention, I cant wait to go back to the Nursing home tomorrow I might even go voluntarily when I'm back in school I could visit on the weekends.Also the nearest Avian vet is about a 4 hour drive which is where id have to go for anything serious.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:43 am

I'm surprised they allow parrots in nursing homes there... Here they are very aware of the danger of zoonotic diseases and don't allow parrots as 'service animals' in places like hospitals or nursing homes.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:51 am

Pajarita wrote:I'm surprised they allow parrots in nursing homes there... Here they are very aware of the danger of zoonotic diseases and don't allow parrots as 'service animals' in places like hospitals or nursing homes.

Maybe a nursing home is something else here than it is over there? Its just a home where old people stay isn't it the same over there.Oscar doesn't have any diseases anyway and I'm sure he is the first and only parrot that will ever visit lol I knew the old people would love him and of course during the whole Quiz Oscar had to say something.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:58 am

Yes, they are the same: where old people live.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, they are the same: where old people live.

I thought so, I did ask before bringing him in and they said it was ok so works for me :)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Next

Return to Parrot Tales