Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

For the love of parrots...

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

For the love of parrots...

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:34 am

An article about a lady who fosters for two different rescues (and it mentions Navre's rescue, too). It has a lot of good points but a real bad one: they clip AND the woman compares handicapping the poor birds this way to a human clipping nails :shock: Ay ay ay!

http://www.theridgefieldpress.com/85266 ... f-parrots/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: For the love of parrots...

Postby alienlady » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am

I wasn't aware rescues allowed you to take a bird if you clip them .
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Navre » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:09 am

I don't think clipping is necessarily a deal breaker. The big birds, like the Macaws, never really get to fly at the rescue. Not REALLY fly, anyhow. If you're a good match for our M2 who has been with us for 6+ years, I'm not going to pull the plug on the adoption because you clip your other bird. I'm not sure we have an actual policy on that. WE don't clip any birds when they're with us, but we have a couple of nearly blind birds that I would clip if it were up to me. We also had (recently adopted) a grey whose feathers wouldn't grow in on one wing. Some would feather cyst, maybe the others he was chewing off. I'm not sure. But if he were mine, and those feathers were never going to grow in on the right wing, I might trim the left wing back.

With any adoption you have to assess if you are moving the bird to a better place, or if he is better off staying in the rescue and waiting. If we waited for the absolute PERFECT situation, we would hardly ever place birds. Nobody in our area is a perfect fit. A more perfect fit would be putting the bird into a better climate so he can spend a lot of time outside getting sun in a large aviary. Clipping is a negative, but so are dogs, cats, work schedules, etc. It all goes into the equation.

Also, not totally sure, but I think the permit to keep a Quaker in CT requires that they be clipped. They're a problem there and the theory is that if they escape, the state doesn't want them to survive. I'm not sure about the Quaker regulations. We can't have them at all in RI.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby alienlady » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Thanks Navre for the explanation and clarifications , much appreciated. I'm very grateful for the knowledge :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:41 pm

It does depends on the rescue, some would not adopt out to clippers and some would insist you clip while others would go either way. But the clipping that John Navre is mentioning (the gray with the feather cysts, blind birds, etc.) are not what I was referring to - I clip Pablo's good wing because not doing it would make him even more unstable and I am in contact with a lady who is coming to look at Pookey who recently clipped her smaller birds because she has a CAG with a VERY severe heart condition which was getting all stressed out by the little ones flying over her and onto her cage. There are situations when you need to clip and I would not hold that against anybody same as I would not hold it against somebody who is clipping as a temporary tool. I was referring to clipping for no good reason other than the old fashioned and 100% debunked: "it's for the bird's safety". It's not. It's because the owner doesn't know any better, doesn't have the infrastructure to have the bird fully flighted or because it's plain easier for him/her. THAT is the clipping I don't agree with! But my comment was more on the comparison she made: it is NOT as clipping nails!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:05 pm

I'll look into the thing about Quakers and the state of CT. I know you need to have a special permit to possess them and I think I remember that they have to be clipped.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:08 pm

I think people mention the fingernail or hair comparison to differentiate between what is done to Parrots, and what is done to waterfowl of laying hens to keep them from flying off. Those birds have the end of the wing itself taken off, either after the last joint, or at the last joint. That's permanently disabling, and is not what is being done when we clip a Parrot.

I've done enough interviews to know that the writer, in trying to simplify what is being said, can totally change the meaning of what is being said.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby stevesjk » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:33 pm

I think they mean solely on a pain level comparison. If done right it should should be painless for the bird much like a haircut
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby alienlady » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:32 am

I understand the need for clipping for health reasons, I don't have a problem with that. It's the clipping for the sake of it that I do have a.problem with.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby liz » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:58 am

If they cannot fly they are loosing muscle and won't be able to fly in the future.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Next

Return to Parrot Tales