Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Photos of My Budgies!!!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Photos of My Budgies!!!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Well, I personally do not believe in having an opinion on these things. I think that if nature took hundreds of thousands of years to evolve an animal to live a certain specific way, I seriously doubt that man was able to change anything in terms of their needs just because he decided to keep it as a human pet for the last few years.

I inherited a single male budgie (Harley) from a friend who died recently. He used to have a mate but she passed on, too, so, when I got him, first thing I did was to start looking for other budgies because in my personal experience (I used to run a rescue and have kept parrots for 25 years), the little aviary species (budgies, plets, lovies, tiels, beebees, etc) do a million times better in a flock and the smallest flock that actually 'works' as a flock (I am talking dynamics), is three pairs. I already got one pair and I am looking for two more females and one male. The new pair (Chloe and Blue) got along famously with Harley from day one (five minutes after putting the cages side-by-side, all three of them were perching as close as they could from their respective cages). They are always together, they eat and sleep right next to each other and Harley is teaching them how to eat fresh food and, as soon as I can, I will buy them a nice flight cage and get the others so they can be a little flock (budgies are extremely flock oriented - so much so that bachelors usually help parents feed their babies).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Just so you know, my tiel hates other birds and strongly prefers humans. If my budgie tries to get too close to him, he lunges at her and she will fly away. Even at the bird store, my tiel always climbed to the side of the cage to be with me, and ignored the other cockatiels. I know that both my birds would never tolerate having another bird in their cages. And if they wanted to be with another bird, they have each other while they're out.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 am

Well, I wouldn't expect a tiel to bond with a budgie, they might both be parrots but they are not at all alike. As to your opinion that your tiel doesn't like other tiels, I have come across a lot of people who have the same opinion about their lone birds and were worried about them coming to the rescue but they all worked out great -even the handfed ones never looked back once they joined the flocks because finding safety in numbers is part of their survival of the species psychological make-up and cannot be unlearned or changed no matter what we do or how much they love us or we love them. I've had hundreds of birds under my care and I've seen the sum total of ONE single one like that (a female ekkie) and I still blame myself for not trying harder (it was at the very beginning of my rescue days).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:32 am

You can have your opinion and all, but you still can't make my tiel suddenly like other birds. He WAS with other tiels in the store, but still ignored them (I never saw him interacting with the others) and came over to me. I can't actually ever see myself owning two birds in the same cage. Even Micheal Sazhin owned a single budgie, Duke. And I don't like you calling small parrots "aviary birds". They just as well form a bond with humans as larger birds.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:33 pm

:lol: It's not my opinion that they are aviary birds, it's their avicultural classification. Opinions are subjective, facts are not. I also owned a single budgie many many years ago (back in 1972, to be more exact) but I've learned since then.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:46 pm

If budgies are only really truly happy in an aviary, then maybe I shouldn't have one.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Well, not necessarily. You could always get more budgies so he can have its own little flock - that's what I am doing for Harley. But, if you can't have a flight cage (more budgies would require one), you can always get him a mate. It's not the same as having a flock but it's much better than him being alone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm sorry, but I can't have more birds right now. If being in a flock is what budgies require, then I probably won't get any more budgies in the future. But I do love my current budgie a ton and want the best for her. I really can't get her a mate because I don't want babies, and I just really don't think I can have another budgie right now. For now, she has a very large cage with tons of toys and perches, is flighted and always will be, and has a lot of out of cage time and human interaction. My tiel, however, I know would be devastated if he had to share me with another tiel. I know what you're saying about other bird owners, but he NEVER liked other tiels even when he had them around.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby stevesjk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:46 am

As long as you are giving the budgie lots of interaction she'll be fine.

I got mine a mate, it really didnt like it, then they had to be seperated into different cages. The presence of the new budgie stressed the original budgie out very badly and he never did get used to him.

If it aint broke dont fix it.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:14 am

I do give my budgie lots of interaction. You're right, if the bird is happy and has never liked other birds, then don't get another bird.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales