Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

RI House votes on parrot bill!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

RI House votes on parrot bill!

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 31, 2017 10:34 am

Article about Rhode Island House of Representatives voted to allow parrots in state campgrounds. This has been going on for some time but persistence paid off and now they are allowed!

http://wpri.com/2017/05/31/rhode-island ... mpgrounds/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: RI House votes on parrot bill!

Postby galeriagila » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Somewhat distantly related...

While ordering stuff from MySafeBirdStore, I was chatting, and learned that Patagonians and Quakers are illegal in New Jersey (the store's location). Reportedly, it's thought that these two species are capable of establishing a feral colony in such harsh conditions?
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 am

No, neither is illegal. There are three species of parrots that are considered 'potentially dangerous': quakers, Patagonians and IRNs but all you need is a special permit that, among other things, says that you cannot breed them. IRNs and Patagonians would not make it on their own but Quakers survive in NJ without a problem. We have several feral colonies [see this: https://njbigyear.wordpress.com/tag/monk-parakeet/].

About 6 years ago, my husband and I went to pick up something [can't remember what] in Fort Lee, NJ [it's next to the George Washington Bridge] and, as soon as I opened the door to the car, I heard very familiar screams going right over my head. I immediately looked up and saw six quakers flying over my head and screaming the way they always do when they fly - I teared up and almost started crying like a baby right then and there on the street from the intense feeling of nostalgia mixed with joy their screams brought me! I was, once more, a child and back home!!! You see, I grew up hearing their screams every day of my life and, as with everything else that it's always present in your life, they disappeared into the background and never really consciously registered while I was growing up but hearing them years and years later, they did not only brought me back to my childhood, I also realized how much I had been missing their screams... I am SOOOO looking forward to moving back home, I can hardly wait!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:56 am

There are BIG colonies of Quakers at Yale in New Haven CT.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby galeriagila » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:02 am

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:04 am

Quakers have gone feral and managed to survive even all the way up north in Chicago! When I say that they are the ULTIMATE survivor, I am not kidding! These birds are amazing!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Why anyone would think that a smoky campground was a good place for a parrot is beyond me.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:32 am

People want to travel with their pets. I would not take any of my birds camping... but that's me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Parrot Tales