Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Dumpster Diver Bird

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Dumpster Diver Bird

Postby Cockatude » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:45 am

Today I went to talk to my birds, including Marv, my African grey. I pushed a trash can with a 30-gallon bag in it over to his cage in case he pooped.

While I was talking to my other bird, I looked over and saw Marv hanging from the cage door by one toe. He turned loose and dropped into the trash. He has been down there for ten or fifteen minutes, and he seems very happy about it.

Isn't this a little weird, even for a parrot? I thought they liked high places and light, to they could get away from threats.
Cockatude
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey
Flight: No

Re: Dumpster Diver Bird

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:55 pm

It is not unusual behavior for many species to be curious and seek out places to root and nest. I have a very large can in my bird room that several of my birds would get into and start fighting over the space so I keep a lid on it. Cubby holes , boxes, inside cabinets all seem to be favorite areas as well as the pantry , laundry room and spare bathroom for birds if allowed that kind of freedom. There are several designated areas in my house that certain birds claim for there own and the others either get run out or invited in. Birds love cardboard boxs and paper grocery bags to play in. :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Cockatude » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:34 pm

I had a grey that used to run and stand under the bathroom sink. Something about the ambience spoke to him.
Cockatude
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey
Flight: No

Postby Bird woman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Unfortunatly there is too many spots in this house that speak to the birds and this house is so big and there are 14 to date that I've had to install cameras to keep an eye on everyone when there runnin amuck. :lol: we have an open cage policy around here and after they eat there breakfast they are all on the run. Most of the time by 9:00 they are all lined up at the slider waiting to open so they can go outside , that's when I find my PEACE. :roll: BW. [and my first cup of coffee]
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby liz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:23 am

Myrtle chewed a hole in top of my dry food cabinet. She can get in but not out and has to call for help. She knows she is not allowed in there but will go anyway and chew as many packages as possible before calling me for help. Rainbow finds things at floor level to destroy and hide in. I have to keep the lid on the Cockatiel room trash. They can get in but not fly out. They sit there waiting for me to find them and help.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:29 am

'Cavities' of any kind are very attractive to parrots because they might be a good nesting site so they all 'need' to check them out thoroughly. But some birds really enjoy playing in a trash can. I know a lady who runs a rescue upstate NY that puts a couple of large metal trash cans in the middle of the large parrots room filled with toys, cardboard boxes and magazines and the birds all go in and play in them for a while but there is one in particular, a big moluccan, that could happily spend his entire life in it :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:25 am

Nigel has takes over the pink Barbie house I bought for the girls and spends hours playing in it. Once in a while he will invite another bird in but mostly is a little selfish hog. :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 am

Linus has a long cardboard box -kind of like a square tunnel- that he uses as his 'safe place' every now and then. It has lasted months and months because he doesn't even chew it that much, only the opening and only a little bit.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:50 am

I use multiple boxes at the same time for Rainbow. Like one leading into the other. I have to replace the inside boxes but keep the outside as she has claimed it as her own space. She can play for hours in their. I heard a bell noise coming out of the box and found that she took one of her favorite toys in there.

Myrtle prefers to play on a shower curtain ring chain that hangs on the sliding glass door. Other than chewing holes in my house she plays on that a lot.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 am

I do the same thing for my amazons, Liz, only I change the outside and the inside box because they poop or throw food on the outside and scratch and chew the inside - but I have an almost endless supply of boxes what with the dogs and cats food, treats and litter.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Parrot Tales