Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Service birds

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Service birds

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:29 am

An article about a woman who uses a cockatiel as her 'emotional support' animal.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/article207557009.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Service birds

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:17 am

Honestly, the "emotional support" thing is being GREATLY abused. You can get an animal "certified" almost effortlessly, the animal needs no training, and people aren't allowed to inquire about any of it. I know people have taken apartments that are " no dogs allowed." They then went on the internet, got their pit bull registered as emotional support, and then moved the dog in. The landlord isn't able to do a thing, or even inquire about why this dog needs to be there. It's out of control. It started out with good intentions, but now it's abused by people who just want to take their dogs to Dunkin Donuts with them.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Re: Service birds

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:23 am

I agree completely! When you can buy a vest and a certification online and without producing a single piece of evidence, you will have rampant abuse. There is an old couple that brings their dog to the supermarket wearing a 'Service Dog' vest - the dog is a little old thing that I believe it's actually deaf or half-blind because she is absolutely oblivious to what is going on around her so, obviously, she is not a true service animal. I also believe that, when it comes to parrots, using them as emotional support is way too unfair to the poor animals. Now, don't misunderstand me, I do believe that companion animals bring a huge benefit to our lives [I actually credit my happiness to having them more than I do my family -all those endorphins constantly flowing, you know] but, as it's ALWAYS the case, when you have a benefit that is completely unregulated, you will find way too many people abusing it so it needs to be regulated.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Tales