Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Darwin's Story

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Darwin's Story

Postby lac575 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:43 am

Darwin is a 2-year-old male Senegal parrot who my husband and I adopted 3.5 weeks ago.

My husband and I love all kinds of animals but we never thought that we would own a bird. We just started paying attention to the birds at pet stores that we visited for supplies and eventually decided to add a bird to our family. After a lot of research, we thought it best to find a bird that was up for adoption.

I was actually chosen by a pineapple Conure at Petsmart. The staff could not handle him/her but when I tried to interact with him/her, he/she came right up to me and stepped up. It was a sweetheart. We could have loved that bird. Unfortunately, we did not want to buy a bird from Petsmart and support the sale of them like that. Parrots are also overpriced by hundreds of dollars at Petsmart and Petco. I had to say goodbye to the little guy/girl, which was very difficult. How could I walk away??? I had to :cry: . He/she was sold shortly afterward (I really hope to a good home).

We found a Craigslist post about Darwin and went to meet him (he was previously named Mango-new home, new name!). We adopted him from a couple who lived in a tiny, very dirty (sorry to say) apartment. It was on the ground floor so the blinds were always drawn (a thick coat of dust on the blinds told us that they had not been opened in a long time). He lived with 2 cats and a dog- 1 of the cats was trying to attack him which is why the previous owners parted with him. He probably had not been exposed to sunshine in a long time. His cage was in a corner of the apartment, slowly being buried in poop. He only had a desk lamp as lighting, shining straight into his cage. Darwin did not seem aggressive and was kind of interested in us (from a distance). He looked like he had potential as a bird whom we could take on as first-time bird parents.

Darwin was very afraid when we first brought him home. He came out of his cage on day one but did not want us to get close to him. Over the course of a couple of days, he allowed us closer and we taught him to step-up on a dowel. It looked like he had not been taught step-up before and was quite uncomfortable doing so at first. He did get comfortable with it fairly quickly (a couple of days) and began stepping up on our fingers when we asked him to. He now knows 'step-up', 'turn-around', 'wave' and 'target', all of which he has learned in the last 3 weeks that we have had him. Needless to say, he also loved bathing in natural sunlight when we brought him to our house

Darwin, it turns out, is a friendly little bird. Except for 2 bites delivered to my husband and I each during the first few days (out of fear), we have had no problems. We can move him around our house as he steps up nicely now, he rides around on our shoulders, has learned a few tricks and he lets us shower him in the bathroom. He has not bitten us since and shows an encouraging level of bite inhibition now. I can tell that he does not want to bite.

I am writing this because I think we just had our bonding moment and my heart might explode! I have read about people having that defining moment with their bird but I knew it didn't happen for everyone. I was not sure if it was going to happen for us.

Well, I just came home from running errands and took Darwin out of his cage for some one on one time. He was happy to see me and soon settled down on my shoulder. Up until this point I have only been able to scratch his head and beak for a couple of seconds at a time (he tolerated it but did not seem to like it). Anyway, the settling on my shoulder turned into snuggling (he got very comfortable) and then he started asking for scratches by lightly pushing his beak into my hand and then turning his cheeks toward me as if asking for pets. I started off by scratching his beak and to my surprise, he let me really scratch his cheeks, his chin and his head! he was making cute little noises and looked like he was really enjoying all of it! I couldn't believe how he was suddenly accepting me and trusting me, as if a light switch had flipped! I could just feel the awesome energy between us. It may not sound like a big deal but it almost brought a tear to my eye. This had to be the moment people talk about!

Darwin did not choose us but we felt that he needed us. He is actively choosing to accept us now; I think he knows that we care about him a lot. Darwin is a great little bird. We are glad we found him and that we could give him a FOREVER home. We find things to love about him every day.

:senegal:
Attachments
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg (16.26 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
40297232_2219783641585550_1501175848311455744_n.jpg
40297232_2219783641585550_1501175848311455744_n.jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
20180811_190339.jpg
20180811_190339.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (10.35 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
Last edited by lac575 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lac575
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot (Poichephalus senegalus)
Flight: Yes

Re: Darwin's Story

Postby stevesjk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Great story, very lucky parrot
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby liz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:56 am

Bless you for rescuing Darwin instead of buying. He is now loved and loves you.
I believe a rescued bird knows that it has been rescued.
Love the story. Keep us updated.

It hurts to leave a bird in a pet shop. I order my supplies from Fosters & Smith to keep away from pet shops that make me feel bad.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:16 am

Awww, and what a handsome boy he is!
Thank you for adopting instead of buying a baby! People don't realize the huge overpopulation problem we have and keep on buying babies which only makes the problem worse!

Now, allow me to correct something you said, namely that you never though about 'owning' a bird... I am sorry to say that, if you do everything right, you don't own the bird, the bird owns you :lol:

And yes, senegals 'purr' when getting scritches they like so those were, most likely, the noises you were hearing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Tales