Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help me gender my new budgie?

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Help me gender my new budgie?

Postby tinti » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:26 am

Hey everyone! I used to post here back in the day when I was new to bird ownership. My dear, sweet budgie Pixie passed away a couple years ago and yesterday I got a new one from my aunt! I'm super excited, it's already started eating millet from my hand after a rather silent and still evening last night. I really wanna give him/her a good name but the thing is that I am not at all sure of it's gender. The cere is blueish so I assume it's a male, but can anyone confirm/correct me? The girl at the pet store didn't even know. Here's a pic, I tried to get the cere as clear as I could.

tinti
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Help me gender my new budgie?

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:53 am

Hi and welcome to the forum! If the bird is under 6 months of age and has a bluish cere, you have a girl BUT if the bird is older than 6 months of age, it's a boy (boy baby budgie = pink cere / boy adult budgie = blue cere). Now, please don't take this the wrong way but keeping a single budgie is not kind to the poor little thing. They are never happy alone, it's very stressful to them and very depressing and lonely. Please get a second budgie, preferably, of the opposite gender. It's just as easy to clean a cage with two than with one and your new baby will be so much happier!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Parrot Tales