Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Learning by example

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Learning by example

Postby Natacha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:51 pm

One of the things I have noticed when I first got Pixel was how she seemed to be a bit clueless as to what toys were for. She didn't really play, she just moved from perch to perch. The one on one time she spent cuddling with me.

She's definitively no Zuri.

As I've mentioned before, she was in a room with many other birds, but I don't recall many toys around the room. I think the room itself (walls included) acted as toys. Quite frankly, I'd rather keep my walls and furniture intact so I do provide plenty of other chewing opportunities.

I'll also be honest; once my vet gave me the indication that Pixel was quite healthy, I continued quarantine for a few days and then, a little after a week or so after she came here, I did slowly introduce her to the others. Here is my reasoning; the blood results came back clear and however I want to look at it, even if I kept Pixel in one room where the birds weren't, they do end up sharing the same air. I honestly believed she stood more to gain by coming in contact with the others and seeing how they act then there being any chance that she would make them sick.

And observing she has been doing since. She's even started to try and play with a few items. She's quite keen on imitating her smaller brother, Joey. She's taken to shelling almonds (didn't quite seem to know what to do before) after seeing him do it and she's starting to play with smaller softer foot toys (like pieces of cork) after Joey did the same. Since then, she's moved onto trying out different other things as well.

I do have a video of the two of them spending some time together doing similar things.

My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Learning by example

Postby lzver » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:51 pm

Natacha, to me that is an amazing video ... the fact that both Lucy's brother and sister are in that video. I really have to say that in that video, Joey looks a lot like Lucy, except of course he has the red belly. Both Lucy and Jessie are settled for the night, but I'll bring Lucy down and show her the video in the morning. Maybe she'll blow both Joey and Pixie kisses ;) I'll have my video ready in the morning and maybe capture it on video.

I'm glad to hear that Pixie is making great progress ... and learning from the other birds. Just the way you talk about her, you can tell how smitten you are with her ;) I'm very happy for you that everything is working out so well with Pixie.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:13 pm

That's great! I'm trying to use the same method for teaching Truman to model after Kili for target training. I'll have a post and video coming up soon.

Pixie is really cute. Her eyes look different but in a pretty girl sort of way.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:21 pm

lzver wrote:Natacha, to me that is an amazing video ... the fact that both Lucy's brother and sister are in that video. I really have to say that in that video, Joey looks a lot like Lucy, except of course he has the red belly. Both Lucy and Jessie are settled for the night, but I'll bring Lucy down and show her the video in the morning. Maybe she'll blow both Joey and Pixie kisses ;) I'll have my video ready in the morning and maybe capture it on video.

I'm glad to hear that Pixie is making great progress ... and learning from the other birds. Just the way you talk about her, you can tell how smitten you are with her ;) I'm very happy for you that everything is working out so well with Pixie.

I do hope you get to capture her blowing kisses on video..that would be adorable!

I am smitten..although I do have to reinforce the use of the Step up command with her as it's not always as smooth as it should be. I don't tend to make a bird step up if they don't feel ready for it unless of an emergency..and I do want them to fully understand the command for those occasions.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Natacha » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Michael wrote:That's great! I'm trying to use the same method for teaching Truman to model after Kili for target training. I'll have a post and video coming up soon.

Pixie is really cute. Her eyes look different but in a pretty girl sort of way.

Her eyes are definitively not as bright red as Joey's (more washed out). I think it might have been the diet she was being fed, even her feathers aren't as bright as they could be.
Her feathers did improve a bit since she came here (more how they are on her versus actually colour/luster) but I'm sure with a better diet, less stressful environment things will get better with each molt.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Return to Parrot Tales