Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I got my Red Belly back! (not entirely good news)

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: I got my Red Belly back! (not entirely good news)

Postby pchela » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:59 am

Banksie, I'll have to tell my husband you said I was the nicest woman on earth! He'll laugh his ass off!

Things are about the same. My husband suggested finding a good home for the Caique (which was the original plan as he was a foster) since he is a baby, loves everybody and has not bonded to anybody yet so we think he'd make the transition well. The Grey is also at an age where he would make the transition well since he's only just weaned.

Maybe if I wait long enough my husband will forget that there are four... :thumbsup:
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby tacotaco » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:52 pm

when i get married i will be sure to try n get a higher limit! lol but really, that is a tough spot to be in and i'm sorry that you're there. whatever you do decide, i'm sure it will be the right decision. it is important to stick to the agreement because trust is important and you don't want to break it. hope all turns out ok pchela!
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Pchela is there anything in writing like a prenup that says you can't have 4 parrots!? :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:50 pm

LOL. If only I had known that I would fall in love with parrots before I got married...

3 is tough! I still want a Jardines someday. Maybe when we have a house instead of an apartment I can get another one.

I think I am going to sell the baby Grey since he is at an age where he can easily make the transition. I would like to place the Caique with him since they are such good friends and I don't want to separate them. We are going to see how it goes with Nicholas. If he ends up attacking my husband every time he sees him then I'm pretty sure I can place him with a friend of mine who is a parrot behaviorist. I do not want to see him end up in a rescue (which is why I'm in this mess to begin with). I think I will probably stop fostering birds after this. It leads to heartache (even though I know it's a good thing to do). The only bird that is mine is Pippin. The rest have been fosters that I've taken in and tried to find good homes for. My dream was to have Pippin and a Grey and a Jardine's. Maybe someday. I have to learn that I can't possibly save every bird that I see that is in need. I hate being in the position I am in now. Sorry if I sound negative... this whole thing has me really stressed out and sad. :(
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby MandyG » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:52 am

I really hope everything works out for the best for you! It's hard enough to say you can't save them all when you see a bird in need but it's downright impossible when you've actually gotten attached to the birds. I'm really sorry that you're in this position.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Rue » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 am

Sorry you're having such a tough time...I hope you figure out the best way to work things out so that you don't feel resentment down the road. Personally, I don't think giving up your dream birds is the way to go...I still think rehoming the red-belly would be best - it will just take some time to find the right home...but it's out there!
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby pchela » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:33 pm

So I haven't been around here much these past few weeks because I've been busy being stressed and sad about the bird situation. So, here's what happened.

I found a home for the caique and Grey. I wanted them to stay together because they are such good buddies. I know the people from when I worked at the pet store and they are very good people and great to their birds so I know they are well taken care of. Of course, I've spent the last week or so being sad and feeling horribly guilty and missing them and wondering if I made the right decision. I always look down on people who place ads in CL and other places to rehome their birds and then I turned around and rehomed two of mine which makes me feel like a hypocrite.

And now for the new development.. some of you know that the Red Belly came from a man I know from work and that I fostered his two birds for almost a year when he was in poor health. The Red Belly came back because he was biting hard. Anyway, I told the man, Bill, about the situation and also had told him about the one eyed Red Belly that I'd been offered. I think he was feeling guilty and responsible for the situation even though I told him that it was my choice to take Nicholas (red belly) back. So, he went to look at the one eyed Red Belly and found that the breeder has found him a home already. So, he bought me a baby Jardine's. Seriously. He paid $730 for a baby Jardine's and gave him to me. I'm shocked and excited! He knew that a Grey and Jardine's were my two dream birds. Anyway, so it's been quite a month for me. Heartbreak, terrible guilt and excitement over a new baby in such a short time. I'm a bit overwhelmed to say the least.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Is this the same guy that bought you a TAG that you rehomed? Jardine's are really awesome though. Kind of like a Cape Parrot but not as cool. :lol: Jardine's are kind of a funny size. They are bigger than the "small" parrots category but definitely not big enough to make the mid-sized parrots cut off. There really aren't many parrots that size. Cockatiels, Conures, Caiques, Ringneck Parakeets, other Pois, etc are all roughly the same size in that small parrots category. Appropriate sized cages and toys are made for them. Cape Parrot just makes the medium sized parrot cut off and joins the African Greys, Amazons, and Cockatoos in that group. Know of any other parrots that are inter-sized similar to Jardine's like that?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lzver » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:02 pm

Sorry to hear you've been having a hard time pchela. I can't even imagine how difficult this has been on you. I doubt there is really anything we can say to make you feel better about that. Hopefully you'll feel better about it over time.

But congrats on the new baby Jardine! Can't wait to see pictures and hear more details.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Thank you lzver for the sympathy. It has been hard. I got sick last week I think because I was just so stressed out. But it's done, the birds are all very well taken care of and it probably couldn't have turned out any better. I was lucky to find the people I found to take them.

Michael, yes it's the same man who bought the CAG. And he paid for the cage I got recently for the CAG. So, he's spent around $2000 for birds and bird stuff for me. It's kind of weird right?

You're right about the Jardine's. There might be one of the Pionus that is the same size but he is an odd in between size. He's extremely cute. I'll take some photos and post them soon. I also have to think of a name for him.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales