Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I got my Red Belly back! (not entirely good news)

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

I got my Red Belly back! (not entirely good news)

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm

For those of you who know my situation, you may remember that I fostered a Meyers and Red Belly for close to a year before giving them back to their original owner. I became quite attached of course, especially to the Red Bellied parrot, Nicholas. Well, the owner brought him back over yesterday. Nicholas has been biting him extremely hard. He pierced his nose and took a sizable chunk out of his ear among other bites. The owner was going to take him to a sanctuary in Dallas but I told him to please bring him back to me. He was afraid that Nicholas would hurt myself or my husband but I got him to agree. I'm thrilled because I have been missing him a lot! My problem now is that we have four birds and three is the limit agreed upon with my husband who is not a bird person like I am. So now I don't know what to do. I have my Senegal who is my first bird and will be with me forever. I have my Caique who I took in as a foster but who my husband has grown very attached to. I have my baby Grey who is still nameless. He's my dream bird, the one I really wanted and also the one who's been with us the shortest amount of time, only 2 months. And then there is Nicholas who is 8 years old and who I am quite attached to. I've been stressed about this for days, ever since I found out Nicholas was coming back. My husband is less than happy about it but he agreed because he did not want Nicholas to go to a rescue any more than I did even though he has suffered his fair share of nasty bites from Nicholas (one to the bone of his thumb). He is also not happy about the four birds. I do understand where he is coming from as we made an agreement and four birds is a lot especially if you aren't a bird person. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Re: I got my Red Belly back!

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:09 pm

Ouch, sounds like you between a rock and a hard place. I wish I could offer you more than just the cursory "sorry".
The only thing I could think of is maybe this could still be a "foster" situation? Where you screen and find a new home for this one. Maybe even work with the new family to make the transition easier on everyone.
Hopefully though things will work out where your 3 bird limit will expand to 4, but I understand the whole DH not being into birds.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:11 pm

For a moment I thought "sorry hubby, guess there ain't enough room for ya" was where the story was headed :lol:

Why do you like that Red Belly so much if he's so bitey?
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lainmai » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 pm

I guess you can't convince your hubby you need the Red Belly since the Caique is attached to him (even if it is only the other way around) huh?

Sorry to hear your stuck between a rock and a hard place...perhaps you can tell him your goingto foster the Red Belly until he stops biting people? Might buy you some time....if not a lifetime :thumbsup:
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm

The thing with the Red Belly is that he doesn't bite me. With me he is the sweetest bird ever. But, I do understand my husbands position... I'd hate to share a house with a bird who wants to tear my flesh off.

I guess we are going to play it by ear. Honestly, the Grey could be sold to a new home and it wouldn't affect him... he's a baby and he's at the age now that a Grey would normally go home with somebody. He's the same age as Truman. *sigh* I don't know what to do. I guess that's why I'm so stressed. It seems like an impossible situation right now.

edit- LOL Michael... I guess I could dump the husband and keep all of the birds but he is a good one...don't know if I could find another as good as him. Also, he's not being unreasonable... we did agree to a limit and I'm the one who's broken the agreement.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby lzver » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Congrats on getting Nicholas back! I can totally understand why you'd insist on wanting to take him back as opposed to him going to a shelter.

That's a tough situation with your husband. I know that 3 birds is the limit for us as well .... unless we got a bigger house and I had more time to spend at home. Sounds like you do most of the work for the birds ... feeding, cleaning, etc. Maybe you can sweet talk your husband into letting you keep the 4 and promise there won't be anymore. One more isn't going to create that much extra mess, feeding, noise, etc.

Good luck pchela. I hope it all works out and you get to keep all your babies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Brittanyv326 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:50 pm

Tell your husband the Caique is now his. So you have 3 birds, he has one. You're both under your limits. ;)

But really, best of luck turning this bitter sweet situation around. Keep us updated.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Brittanyv326 wrote:Tell your husband the Caique is now his. So you have 3 birds, he has one. You're both under your limits. ;)

But really, best of luck turning this bitter sweet situation around. Keep us updated.

Now this I like. I might just try this tonight. Of course, he's probably going to look at me and roll his eyes...

I will keep you all updated. Thanks for the supportive advice!
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby lzver » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:53 pm

pchela wrote:edit- LOL Michael... I guess I could dump the husband and keep all of the birds but he is a good one...don't know if I could find another as good as him. Also, he's not being unreasonable... we did agree to a limit and I'm the one who's broken the agreement.

I hear you pchela. My husband is a good catch and I wouldn't find another like him.

Sometimes compromises need to made in a marriage. An agreement made between the two of you even a year or two ago may need to be revisited. My husband isn't crazy about the idea of getting another bird, but he knows that they have become by passion and hobby, so we compromised. I am their primary care giver and don't ask him to do very much. He isn't very hands on but admits to enjoying their company.

Sometimes I have to compromise with him when he wants to buy another expensive tool (of which he already has 2 or 3) or buy material to build something.

Sorry ... don't mean to sound preachy or like a marriage counsellor. I understand your stress and hope and hope the two of you can work it out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:55 pm

I guess you're right though. If the limit is strictly three and there is no way you can keep four, sell the African Grey as a hand raised baby. He's the only one that can be rehomed at no detriment to the bird. The red belly probably needs you more than anyone and the other two have become your birds.

It's probably your fault that the Red Belly bites everyone else cause you let it get bonded to you too much :lol:

PS, You're probably jealous of Mona right now. Her husband lets her have 5! :dancing3:
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Next

Return to Parrot Tales