Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cute Cockatiel at the Pet Store

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Cute Cockatiel at the Pet Store

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 pm

At my local pet store whenever I visit I always see the same cockatiel. He's adorable he likes to whistle, if you put your face close to the cage he will climb on the cage bars nearest to you to look at you, a funny thing he does he will put his beak between the cage bars then stick out his tongue to try to reach you.

Today, he was even more outgoing. He did something different today that was really cute. When I put my face near the cage he jumped from his perch on to the front cage bars. Then he put his beak between the bars started to stick out his tongue to try to reach me. But, what he did next was absolutely adorable he would make a sound imitating if I am not mistaken a person calling their dog. He would whistle two times than make a clicking sound with his tongue.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Re: Cute Cockatiel at the Pet Store

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:25 am

Yes, cockatiels are great at whistling - they can even whistle songs perfectly.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 pm

For some reason their ability to mimic entire songs reminds me of the mockingbird. I love hearing mockingbirds sing it's absolutely beautiful. Such a underappreciated bird grey, black, and white but, has the most beautiful tune.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am

Well, I wouldn't call mockingbirds 'unappreciated'... They are highly appreciated by bird lovers - it's only that there aren't that many bird lovers and that birds, in general, have all been greatly underestimated and understudied.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby banuvatt » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:46 pm

Before I got into parrots I really loved canaries. I think canaries are adorable little birds who have such a beautiful song. My grandmother kept a crested myna back in Cambodia she told me how it was able to "talk." A couple of my uncles kept canaries my deceased uncle before he passed he kept lots of canaries. He gave on to my younger uncle and a couple of budgies. Songbird keeping is really popular in Asian culture.

While I would rather have a parrot than a songbird because I don't really think of songbirds as pets you interact with(correct me if I am wrong.) This is normally true with the smaller birds such as canaries, and finches. Unless if you hand raise or tame them they are generally hands off pets. However, that being said I wouldn't mind keeping a Indian hill myna I think they are amazing. Their impressions of human voices, and how they can even copy accents is impressive.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:56 am

I ADORE canaries! They were my original passion, I came into parrots later in life and by sheer coincidence even though I used to help my grandmother raise quakers when I was a little girl. But canaries... Ahhh, there is nothing like the song of a canary! It literally fills my heart with joy no matter how sad, overwhelmed or worried I might be. It has a magical effect on me and, as far as I am concerned, a house is not a home if it doesn't have a canary singing in it. But no, canaries (and most other passerines) are not interactive - even if you handfeed them (which should NEVER be done unless there is no other way of keeping the babies alive), they would still be very flighty and distrustful of people. But, in my personal opinion, the fact that they do their own thing is part of their attraction! Canaries are a domesticated species that still behaves like a wild one and that, to me, it's a beautiful thing! I started learning about them when I was only 8 years old (and I know more about canaries than I will ever know about parrots). My cousin's grandfather (on her mother side of the family, she was related to me through her father) used to breed them and I used to go help him with them every day during the summer school vacations which started my education on them (not that canary culturists did such a good job back then!). I got my first canary as a gift on my 13th birthday - it was a purebred Hartz Roller, son of the South American Song champion. I am into Spanish Timbrados now but I gave away all my canaries when I was planning on moving back home so I don't have any right now and I really miss having them (I am waiting for this virus thing to be over so I can get more).

Yes, East Asia has a fascination with songbirds but, going by what I have read, it seems they are not very responsible about it because they trap wild birds for it and keep them under inadequate conditions (super small cages, bad diet, etc). And yes, mynahs are excellent talkers - VERY smart birds and very social, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:32 am

Mynas are a part of the starling family, they are probably one of the smartest birds after corvids, and parrots. The common myna is hated throughout the world for being a crop pest(which is ironic since it was introduced to get rid of insects.) It is similar to the European starling because it has a vast range throughout the world. Even though it is hated where it has been introduced they are incredibly smart, and social.

In your opinion which is a better talker an African grey or a Indian Hill Myna? (Now I am not asking this because I just want a bird for mimicry ability.) But, I am just highly impressed with both species ability to mimic I think it's amazing you can barely tell that it's a bird speaking. If it was just the voice playing I don't think anyone could tell.

Yes, I know unfortunately that the capture of wildcaught birds is still very prominent in Asia. Even to the point that there are endangered subspecies of Hill Mynas in the Philippines. I know that the Bali Myna(Also called the Rothschild's Myna) is critically endangered because of one of the reasons besides it's small range, and habitat destruction is the cage bird trade. It's not very surprising why Mynas are such a sought after pet in Asia, even the Ancient Greeks kept them as pets for their ability to mimic.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:03 am

I could not answer that... I have no idea which bird, mynah or gray, is the better talker. I've never had a mynah so I don't know but I can tell you that my gray does not speak very much and neither did any of the other 5 grays that I have had under my care. I can also tell you that the few things they said, they used appropriately and that they all understood a lot of words and commands. My Sophie, for example, tells Linus to: 'Shut up!' when he screams and she tells the dogs to shut up when they bark, adding a 'Stupid dogs' to it :lol: - and says 'Hello' to me when I walk into the room, flies to my arm when told 'Come', flies back to a high perch when told 'Go', she dances and beatboxes when I sing her song (Bad boys but sang Bad Birds, instead) and many other things. She'd also fly to my shoulder and kiss my cheek if I got bit by another bird. And I took care of another one that would fly to my shoulder and leaning over, she would look into my eyes and very, very softly ask: 'You OK, sweetheart?' if I got bit. INCREDIBLY empathetic birds!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Parrot Tales