Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Capri the Cape is coming home Thursday!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Capri the Cape is coming home Thursday!

Postby thejoie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:02 pm

I am sooo happy that she's finally coming home!
This whole Cape things kind of came on a bit quick. I lost my baby Blue and Gold, Summer, to a brain aneurysm at the end of Feb. I was heartbroken. My boyfriend who also loved Summer suggested we get another bird. I started looking into all types of species. He wanted another large macaw and I wasn't sure. I've always been interested in Capes and had recently adopted my first Poi and was in love!

I found a breeder, Maggie Tarleton in Indiana that's in driving distance. I talked to MANY people who have brought home a baby Cape from Maggie and then got in touch with her. I was like 5th on a waiting list for a female. I knew she had 3 babies at the time. She said depending on male to female ratios it can take up to a year to get my baby. I was fine with that.

Needless to say you can imagine my surprise when she got in touch with me in April and asked if I'd be interested in getting a baby now because the people on the list had all passed!!

So that's the story of how Capri got to come home so soon!

She's going to be living in Summer's cage- a double macaw cage. I still call it Summer's cage. I still haven't arranged it for Capri. I've been stalling. I tried to do it in May but ended up crying and avoiding it again. No more avoiding!! Tomorrow is HAS to get done!!

But here's a few pic of Capri, her sister Lola and their brother. Her sister is going to a friend of mine in New York. I'm very happy that I'll be able to keep in touch and compare with Lola :)
Attachments
IMG_5336.JPG
Capri's cage.. when Summer was using it.
IMG_5336.JPG (137.47 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
Capes3.JPG
playing
Capes3.JPG (116.83 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
2010_0511(005).JPG
Babies!
2010_0511(005).JPG (139.18 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
Capes4.JPG
Getting used to an Aviator
Capes4.JPG (37.86 KiB) Viewed 5319 times
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: Capri the Cape is coming home Thursday!

Postby MandyG » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost Summer, it's never easy losing a beloved pet, especially one that you believe will be with you for a very long time.

Congrats on the new Cape! They're all so cute. There's nothing more adorable than a baby bird. :D

Is the bar spacing of the macaw cage suitable for a Cape?
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 pm

My Cape has 3/4" bar spacing but I wouldn't hesitate to put him in 1 inch. However, going much more than an inch could be much. One and a quarter I'd probably say is the upper limit.

Congrats on the baby Cape. They are absolutely incredible parrots. Have you gone and met yours yet?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MandyG » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:59 pm

Michael wrote:My Cape has 3/4" bar spacing but I wouldn't hesitate to put him in 1 inch. However, going much more than an inch could be much. One and a quarter I'd probably say is the upper limit.

Really? Shows what I know about Capes ;) . It's really hard to get an idea of bar spacing from a picture, that cage looks huge!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby thejoie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:01 pm

The bar spacing on the cage is 1 inch. Here's a link to it http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=ELT_6432

I LOVE that cage for any bird that can handle the 1 inch bar spacing. It's huge. I love that it has the little "balcony" things at the top that fold down. I climb inside when I have to redo the toys in there! I hope Capri likes it!!

Michael, I haven't met her yet! I've been working some overtime to afford to spoil her.. lol... I wanted to but time ran away from me so Thursday will be our first meeting. I have the next 8 days off with her. So it'll be perfect bonding time. My boyfriend even took some days off which is amazing considering before we moved in together he wasn't a fan of birds! But he's excited too.

Losing Summer was one of the worst moments in my life. She was the most perfect Blue and Gold on the planet. But I'm ready to move on. I'm ready for that to be Capri's cage now...
thejoie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns macaw, Red Belly Parrot, Cape Parrot, Lineolated Parakeets

Postby Rue » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 am

Congrats on your new bird! :thumbsup:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Return to Parrot Tales