Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

a pretty good day

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

a pretty good day

Postby ptuga72 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:02 am

today is one of those good days where you just have to share! Scarlet actually played with a toy and put BOTH feet on a rope perch I was holding! Just for some background, Scarlet is our eclectus that we got from a rescue. She is not hand-friendly and often has phobic responses to just about everything. Scarlet came to us plucked to her white down and bare on her chest, crop, back, the underside of her wings and shoulders. For the majority of her first month or so with us she preferred to be alone, in her cage. The Second month she began to talk and come out of her cage, it's been going good so far after that. She doesn't like to play with toys but will shred her books (old prayer missiles) for hours on end, she goes through about 3 books a week.
About two weeks ago I finally found a V-tech phone and a play keyboard that both worked at a goodwill for 50cents. After keeping them near her cage for a while I decided to finally let her play with them last Thursday. She actually looked interested and kept trying to push the buttons. After that I thought she would be done with them. But, today as a sat downstairs I heard the phone, then the key board start to go off and play some music. It was Scarlet actually playing! She played with them for over an hour! I eventually had to take them away so she would eat dinner. I was so happy.
I also began target training with her last week. She needs to re-learn to step up properly, not just to be cute and say "step-up, come on Scarlet" whenever the perch is presented. Well, today I was able to have her put BOTH feet on the rope perch to target the stick! I was practically jumping up and down! I finally feel like we're making progress with her. It's these small victories that keep me going with her. The first time I tried "out time" with her (about 1 week with her) she was lunging at me, screaming, pulling out feathers, and it ended with me in tears wondering if I made the right choice by taking her away from her wonderful foster mom. Now she is a different bird and I couldn't be happier!

sorry for the long post, but I HAD to share :D
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Re: a pretty good day

Postby pchela » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Congratulations! It is wonderful that people like you are willing to take in these amazing, older parrots and give them a chance at a new and happy life! It is a testament to your dedication and nature that Scarlet is doing so well! Good job! :thumbsup:
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby Rue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:01 pm

Excellent! Isn't it great to see all that hard work and patience pay off! So rewarding!
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:27 pm

:) :) :)
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby ptuga72 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:19 pm

pchela wrote:Congratulations! It is wonderful that people like you are willing to take in these amazing, older parrots and give them a chance at a new and happy life! It is a testament to your dedication and nature that Scarlet is doing so well! Good job! :thumbsup:

aww thanks :oops: :) What's funny about Scarlet is that I originally was interested in a mitred conure but at an adoption fair she chose me. When I found out about this rescue I knew I would always try to adopt over buying.

Rue wrote:Excellent! Isn't it great to see all that hard work and patience pay off! So rewarding!

I know! I love seeing her happy :D
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Return to Parrot Tales