Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

amazon love

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

amazon love

Postby Giantmoa » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:02 pm

at the zoo I volunteer at there is a gorgeous blue-fronted amazon. They're currently allowing me to train on her (the staff members have to train and check you off on animals like the hawks and more difficult animals before you can handle them on your own). Maya, the amazon, let me hold her the other day and oh my lord do I adore that bird. She can be the devil incarnate when she dislikes someone, but when she decides she does, indeed, like you then she is sweet as pie. Keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't change her mind and start attacking me cuz I've fallen for that bird. Course I still love my conure to death, but come on? who wouldn't melt with an amazon singing on your arm? teehee, just felt like sharing ^_^
:amazon:
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: amazon love

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 am

i volunteer at a zoo also :)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2343

thats my topic of a video i took of the birds we have :) robert the plucked cockatoo is my fav hes aggressive and once i finish school forever (9 weeks away) im going to ask if i can come in daily and work with him and his aggression i feel sorry hes really a sweet heart and i know he will make a wonderful bird once he gets over it and people can handle him
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Giantmoa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:14 pm

hehe, arent zoos awesome for the most part? The birds get such big enclosures and plenty of enrichment for them to chew to bits...
and those are some pretty birds in the video =D I wish there was more than one parrot in the department I work in! good luck with robert, I'm sure he's just waiting for the right person to take the time to work with him ^_^
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Postby Rue » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:57 pm

...there's just also something about Amazons... :thumbsup:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Giantmoa » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:02 pm

yessiree =) if I wasn't 17, had my own place, and a job I might just adopt one ;) my parents aren't exactly parrot people and dislike my comparatively quiet conure's noise when she gets chatty so getting an amazon would not be a good idear... I'm interested though, what sort of personality does yours have? Each parrot I've met is so different personality wise =P
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Postby MandyG » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:25 am

Giantmoa wrote:my parents aren't exactly parrot people and dislike my comparatively quiet conure's noise when she gets chatty so getting an amazon would not be a good idear...

An Amazon definitely wouldn't be suitable in your house then! They have big voices and they love to use them. Mine is getting quite the vocabulary and loves to talk non-stop, whether its english or jibberish :lol: . I've heard that some of the smaller Amazon species are quieter than the Yellow Crowned (which I have) but I've never heard of one being described as quiet.

Giantmoa wrote:I'm interested though, what sort of personality does yours have? Each parrot I've met is so different personality wise =P

My Amazon is very sweet with me. But he's just like you said about this Blue Fronted, "She can be the devil incarnate when she dislikes someone"! I've found that they are beautiful, curious, intelligent (usually too smart), loud, playful, and full of attitude. Mine is very jealous of my husband but will allow others to handle him and he will even step up for other people if he's on me, but my husband is only allowed to deliver him to me. Having an Amazon really adds some spice to your life! They're definitly not for everybody, but I wouldn't live without one.

A lady I know has a Blue Fronted. He's well mannered towards her but will bite her daughter. He loves to play and scream and absolutely loves to watch TV. He has a large vocabulary and even learned how to sing off of that 'Don't Forget the Lyrics' show. They'll actually leave him out of his cage when they leave the house, they just leave the tv on and he will sit on his perch and watch it the whole time they're gone! He's fully flighted and doesn't get into trouble when he's left out, he just wants to talk to the tv. He's mischevious and will fly with toys and 'bomb' my friend with the toys. And he loves to feed her dogs.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Rue » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:51 am

Mine is wonderful. She's ~15 years old now. We've had her 5 years. She came preferring men...but has become my bird. If I'm not in the room, the others can handle her...but if she can see/hear me, she will bite them. She's very gentle with me.

Mine is not a talker...she can talk, I've heard her, but she'd rather not. She can be incredibly loud though...which the rest of the family doesn't appreciate...but she has two main noisy periods, first thing in the morning (when she hears us get up) and then again at supper. I don't mind.

Mine's also not very active. She basically just sits there. So I make sure she gets some exercise by having her flap her wings or walk.

Mostly she prefers taxi service... :lol:
Last edited by Rue on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Giantmoa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:35 pm

I don't know what it is about them, but I'm attracted to all the louder more boisterous parrot species (well maybe not cockatoos...) sounds like you two have great birds ;) someday down the line I think I'll definitely seriously consider if they'd be the right bird for me, till then I'm content with my little guy ^_^
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Return to Parrot Tales