Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Park frustration

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Park frustration

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:23 pm

And interestingly enough it has absolutely nothing to do with the age of the kids. There are equally well behaved 3 year olds as 11 year olds and same for disrespectful behavior. It really does come down to parenting. It seems to me that it's the over controlled/punished kids that are the worst. Those kids don't do things that get them punishment but anything that goes unnoticed/unpunished by the parents is up for grabs. Isn't it the same with our parrots and just shows how positive reinforcement is the way to go ;)
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Mr.Darcy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:27 pm

I don't think anyone here would think it is okay for anyone, child or not, to come and touch you, your children or your pets. We all agree on that. The issue may or may not be parenting, there may be other issues with the kids themselves (ie. autism) regardless, I took offence to you Michael taking pleasure in your bird hurting the kid. Not that Kili bit the kid, she is an animal and only trying to protect herself and the kid learned a very valuable lesson in natural consequences.

So the issue was that if you find it frustrating to train in the park because of all the attention you get with the birds, perhaps you should try a mall parking lot or somewhere where you can control the immediate environment......or continue to go to the park and take the good with the bad.

The kids in the video are very excited to see you, and the birds. They know the names of your birds and have favorite tricks you preform. You are opening up a whole new world to them that they otherwise might never have been exposed to.
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:52 pm

No. What I take pleasure in is that Kili stood up for herself for a change. I feel bad for her cause she's so sweet and puts up with a lot of abuse that she doesn't deserve. As I said, most of the time this all isn't a problem but from time to time it becomes too much.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales