Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman's Injury

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Truman's Injury

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:18 am

Michael wrote:Oh yeah, you don't watch my videos. In the video in the article I showed his set up... Guess that explains it.

Oh yeah, you're hiding behind the Internet and don't have to be nice to people when they are trying to be helpful. Guess that explains it. :roll: Come on man, really? Was that necessary?
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:25 am

No no. That person previously explained that she is on dial up because they don't have high speed internet there so she can't watch youtube videos. That explains why she didn't know that the tub was clear... sheesh.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:33 am

Michael- I wasn't referring to the fact that Rue can't watch the videos, I was referring to the snarkiness behind your immediate response to the suggestion of an aquarium in place of the plastic bin. I just didn't want to quote the entire exchange. And whether or not Rue CAN watch your videos is irrelevant, not everyone goes through and looks at every single video/answer/post on a forum before commenting, it would be way too time-consuming. Rue was only trying to help you.

It is hard to want to help someone who obviously feels they are smarter than you. I thought this was a support forum.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:21 am

You replied after and quoted the video topic.

Anyway, it's been a week since the break with only about a week (or a little more) to go till he can be back in the cage. The vet suggested a clear plastic tub so I got a clear plastic tub. If this was a long term living place I would have spent more. Considering I had to tear up the tub in order to make modifications for the bird, I won't be able to use it for anything else later so I didn't want to have much invested into it. If you haven't seen in the video, I made a special lid for it by cutting out a lot of the plastic and mounting a metal wire mesh over the top to prevent Truman from flying out. I also mounted a very low perch across the tub but also left a lot of floor space so he can have a choice of where to stand.

Anyway, to Rue I meant no offense. I was just addressing the concerns and stating how they were accommodated. I had made the assumption that everyone replying had seen the video so I was replying on that basis forgetting that Rue is on dial up and had not seen the video and thus not seen the set up. I'll try to include some pictures next time. Rue, you do see the pictures right?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:35 am

Hence me explaining myself, I saw why there was the misunderstanding. Anyway...

Yay for Truman, only a week left?! :) I bet he will be back to his old self before you know it! :swaying:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:40 am

Well it's not exact. But the vet said no strenuous activity for at least 2-3 weeks. The complete healing is expected to take closer to a month but some gentle "rehab" activity and play should be reintroduced around the 2-3 week mark from the time of injury rather than coming home. So in another week or two, when I see that Truman stops limping I'll do a follow up vet visit and then move him back to his normal cage at first chance. They said that since he is so young he will probably heel quicker than an older bird.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Rue » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:44 am

I see pictures as long they're not too big.

Dial-up isn't a choice...I have no options here in the boonies until they improve the service. We're in a patchy area, even though we're only 15 minutes from the edge of the city. Drives us batty.

However, I'm not a huge video fan to begin with...so I might not have seen the video (even if I could). I would have commented on the text.

...although, I did see your 20 tricks in 2 minutes last week when I was in the city office. Very cute. Lots of work you put in there - both of you.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:53 am

I wrote an article about that one last night. Now that you've seen the video, you can totally be in on the discussion (and the text will make sense) :thumbsup:
Michael
Macaw

Postby Equuswmn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Michael, I help a German Shepherd rescue from time to time and I've rehabilitated a couple of dogs who have had their pelvis's badly broken from getting hit by cars or from being beaten. One dog had to have his pelvis re-broken in three places, rotated back to normal position then held together with screws until the bones healed. It took several months to fully heal but bones heal very well and younger bones heal even better. That dog can leap like a gazelle now! Not to compare a bird with a dog but I just wanted to reassure you that Truman should be as good as new in no time. Also, you may want to look into pet insurance. I highly recommend PetPlan insurance. They cover birds. I've researched a lot of pet health insurance plans and I think this is the #1 insurance out there. They covered all of my dog's cancer treatments which I never would have been able to afford without them. I was extremely happy with them. Just something to think about. Anyway, hang in there. Truman and Kili are lucky to have you.
Equuswmn
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Senegal Parrot

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales