Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman's Injury

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Truman's Injury

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Truman is at the vet now. I'm not going to discuss full details right now but basically it's completely my fault. I was chasing him around in a rush to put him away and get to work. He crashed and hasn't eaten anything in 24 hours. I brought him to vet this morning and they suspect it's a bruise on the leg + stress rather than any serious injury. I have a vital role in a wedding this weekend so I decided he'd receive better care by hospitalizing him at the vet for the next 3 days but I will do my best to go visit him daily.

No time for full story but I'd like to share two valuable morals learned:

1) Don't panic a bird by chasing it when you need to put it away urgently
2) Vet cost is insanely expensive so have a reserve fund

This is going to run me a minimum of $600 and quite possibly more. I take full blame for this, I've been really depressed and couldn't sleep. I won't be on the forum much in coming days because I need to work, prepare for wedding (I'm photographing it), and spending whatever time I have remaining visiting Truman at the Vet which is over an hour away from me. I brought him to a specialized avian vet rather than my local vet for this but it is very far and very costly.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Truman's Injury

Postby pchela » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Poor Truman. I hope everything turns out okay. Don't be too hard on yourself: we all make mistakes and now we can learn from one of yours. That's what we're here for right?

Best of luck to you and Truman. We'll be thinking about you.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Ben » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:41 pm

Sorry to hear that Michael, hope Truman is ok.
Ben
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby lzver » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Sorry to hear that Truman got hurt. Don't be too hard on yourself. You can't change what happened, but you will learn from this and as pchela said, by sharing, we can all learn a lesson as well. You are doing the best thing for him by taking him to an avian vet for the weekend.

Try and pop on when you have a minute over the weekend and let us know how he's doing.

Hope everything works out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby el-parrot » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:26 pm

awww... sorry to hear this Michael and don't we all sometimes make a mistake. You didn't do that on purpose and I know that when you don't sleep well and don't feel good, sometimes you just react other than normal. I hope the injury will heal well! Take care!
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:18 pm

Ok, here's an update. I've gone back to the vet tonight to see Truman. He's been sitting on one foot for the last 24 hours because it is painful for him to stand on the other. They took xrays and discovered a fracture in his pelvic bone. They will take care of him for the next few days and then I will have to keep him immobile for a few weeks. They cannot do anything for the fracture but it is expected to grow back itself and heel within a month. For two weeks I will have to keep him in a flat bottomed tank so he doesn't try to climb around in his cage.

Truman has been very quiet and immobile since the accident. He hasn't been eating or playing. When I visited him tonight it was probably the best he's been in the last 36 hours because he ate a couple shreds of almond from my hand and briefly played with an almond shell. They've been feeding him soft food at the vet. He began falling asleep so I cut the visit short and let them put him away. I expect to visit him again tomorrow morning.

Please don't mistake the moral of the story and think the answer is clipping your parrot. I am not suggesting that one bit and I will not be clipping Truman. The important thing to remember is not to contribute to a stressful situation your parrot is in whether flighted or clipped. It is important not to evoke the fight or flight response because then the parrot is in a panic and not thinking clearly which can lead to things like this.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:25 pm

Oh no poor Truman! :( I hope he heals very quickly. And do not blame yourself, stuff happens and that's how we learn from our mistakes.

Get well soon little guy!!!
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby bmsweb » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Poor Truman :cry:

Hope he gets better soon Michael.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby sidech » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to Truman, Michael.

I hope he recovers really fast. I'm sending him good vibes. :airmail:
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby Natacha » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Sorry to hear about Truman.
I do hope he'll heal nicely and be up to his old self in no time.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Next

Return to Parrot Tales