Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman's Injury

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Truman's Injury

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:26 am

I visited Truman again this morning and he's a lot better. This is not in terms of the injury, he still stands only on one foot and doesn't walk around. But he has finally started eating and livened up a little. The two previous days he really wasn't himself. He wouldn't eat, play, make sounds, or do anything. Today he was making a few of his noises, paying a bit of attention, ate some of his pellets out of my hand, and played with toys a little bit. I brought an almond for him and he ate it entirely.

After spending about 45mins with me he began falling asleep so I let them put him away to rest. If I weren't going to a rehearsal dinner tonight and wedding this weekend, I'd feel ok taking him home in this condition (certainly not the way he was yesterday though). But given the circumstance I feel it's best for him to stay under observation for the rest of the weekend. I'm going to do my best to visit him tomorrow morning before heading out for the wedding and then pick him up as soon as I get back on Sunday.

This is about all I have time to write right now but I'd like to thank you all for your support. Seeing him suffer has been really depressing me but seeing him start to eat/play again makes me feel a bit better but I still worry about him all the time.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:54 am

Glad to hear Truman is feeling a bit better.

I hope the wedding goes smoothly and you can get home to be with Truman. I don't want to compare parrots to children, but there definitely is a special bond we develop with our parrots and I know I love my two to death. I'd be worrying just as much as you are.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Kim S » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Good news, I'm glad to hear he's doing better.
And it wouldn't be right if you didnt worry, its what you do. Its what all of us would do in this situation. Its one more sign how much you care.
But he is in the best of hands and by the sound of it, doing pretty good.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby bmsweb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks for the update Michael and its great to hear Truman seems to be heading in the right direction again.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby birdvet » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Glad to hear he's on the mend... :D
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 am

I visited Truman today. He's much the same as yesterday but I was told that he's been eating well and gained a bit of weight (314g from a low of 307g, used to maintain a high of 330g). I'm bringing him home tomorrow. I have a special tub made out for him to be in until he recovers. I'll post more info, video, and pics on my blog when I have more time.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby HyperD » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm glad Truman is getting better. I am sure as soon as he comes home he will quickly recover :)
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Mona » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi Michael

Sorry to hear about Truman. I'm sure he will mend and I'm glad you found a good avian vet. Yes, good avian vets are expensive but it's a specialized expertise and if they can't make enough for a living, they will choose another profession and not be around when you really need one (like now)

Sounds like you may end up doing a little hand feeding . You and Truman are in my thoughts. It must be the season for weddings because we are also attending a family wedding this weekend.

Just remember time is on your side, slowdown and let Truman be your teacher

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm really sorry Truman was injured and I hope that he is feeling better soon and so are you. I'm glad the prognosis is good! Geez, they are awfully vulnerable, aren't they?

Believe it or not, I agree that clipping wouldn't necessarily have changed anything here. We came close to a similar scenario with Scooter checking his wing clip at the last minute before leaving for Death Valley yesterday. It's maybe better to let things go rather than get in a hurry, but it is a lot easier to say than do. I know I'd have felt wretched if we'd hurt him chasing him around to accomplish something that maybe could have been done more slowly or not at all.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby el-parrot » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Michael wrote:I visited Truman again this morning and he's a lot better. This is not in terms of the injury, he still stands only on one foot and doesn't walk around. But he has finally started eating and livened up a little. The two previous days he really wasn't himself. He wouldn't eat, play, make sounds, or do anything. Today he was making a few of his noises, paying a bit of attention, ate some of his pellets out of my hand, and played with toys a little bit. I brought an almond for him and he ate it entirely.

After spending about 45mins with me he began falling asleep so I let them put him away to rest. If I weren't going to a rehearsal dinner tonight and wedding this weekend, I'd feel ok taking him home in this condition (certainly not the way he was yesterday though). But given the circumstance I feel it's best for him to stay under observation for the rest of the weekend. I'm going to do my best to visit him tomorrow morning before heading out for the wedding and then pick him up as soon as I get back on Sunday.

This is about all I have time to write right now but I'd like to thank you all for your support. Seeing him suffer has been really depressing me but seeing him start to eat/play again makes me feel a bit better but I still worry about him all the time.

I am so glad to read that he is somewhat better. Of course you 're still very worried, that 's normal. But he is in good hands. Thinking of you! Image
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales