Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Truman's Injury

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Truman's Injury

Postby Natacha » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:48 am

Happy to hear he's feeling better :)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby illigersinspokane » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi ,
So glad it wasnt anything from another bird. Consider it a couple weeks cuddle time with him! L
illigersinspokane
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Conure parrotlet macaw
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Truman isn't so cuddly any more. He was when I visited him at the vet's office but I think that's cause they had him all drugged up. Since I got him home all he does is scream, try to get out of his tub, and fly off if I have him out. I don't really know what he wants cause he'll be screaming and I'll offer him food, attention, etc. But none of that seems to work. Actually it kind of seems like all he wants is to go back into his cage cause that's where he flies off to half the time.

He must be pretty bored too. I can't give him much toys because he's supposed to relax as much as possible. Maybe in about a week I can start making things better for him but right now he really needs to stay still and eat well. Neither of those has he been particularly good at.

Oh and let me add he's been quite smelly lately. I spray him down with a bottle but he hasn't been taking much care of himself and treads through his own poo. I try to change the papers frequently and actually he's been getting better today. He's been holding it in and barely pooping in his tub. Instead he drops a big one when I take him out and put him on potty perch. So this is good. But he's still really smelly and I can still smell him on my hands after I handle him.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby BirdbrainJan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:58 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Truman. Thank goodness he's healing up, and that you can have him at home now. Did the vet give any advice about how to keep him inactive if he's bound and determined to try to fly off to his cage and all that?
BirdbrainJan
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:11 pm

Not yet. No one really thought this would be an issue. The first few days since the accident, Truman wasn't moving around at all. During subsequent visits to Truman at the vet's office, I didn't even bother closing the doors because he did not show the slightest interest in flying and they said he didn't fly at all. Then I get him home and that very same day he takes at least 3 flights. Today he did a pretty big flight around the room and flew back and landed on me. He just seems to want to fly I guess!

For the most part I keep him in the tub. But I do have to take him out to clean it from time to time and he flies off when I'm not looking! He can barely walk but he sure can fly.

I'm entitled to some follow up phone calls with the vet (actually they called me today for a follow up but I wasn't there to answer) so I'll be sure to ask next time as well as when I can start bringing him outside.
Michael
Macaw

Postby birdvet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:41 am

Heya.

Fractures in birds generally take 5ish weeks to heal as long as they are stable so a pelvic (synsacral) fracture will take a bit longer as no stabilisation (pinning, external fixator, bandage) can be applied to these generally. It'll be tough to stop Truman flying as he seems to get so much enjoyment out of it but every time he lands he'll be jiggling the fracture resulting in delayed healing...

Question? Is he actively going to the toilet? There are so many nerves in the synsacral region that when damaged can result in incontinence and cloacal atony? He may be holding on because its painful for him to poop...hopefully thats it (plus his good training) and not nerve damage ;)

When Edward, my little Crimson Wing, came home from hospital after having his leg amputated he also stank...pain prevents them wanting to clean themselves, poor little dudes... :(
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Postby Rue » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:21 am

Might I suggest getting rid of the tub and using an aquarium? I've used them successfully.

If you put it on a table, it will be higher up, like the cage he's used to, and he can see out of it. If he can see what's going on he may be calmer.

He would have been quieter at the vet. The injury was new...maybe shock? And it was an unfamiliar space, so he might have been making himself as inconspicuous as possible.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:36 am

It's a clear tub, up on a table, in the bird area near his cage. What difference would it possibly make to change from plastic to glass for such a temporary residence except significantly added cost?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Rue » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:10 am

How was I to know the tub was clear? And even if it is, clear plastic still isn't that easy to see through. Birds are visual. It's stressful not to be able to see.

The benefit would be a calm bird who is less likely to reinjure.

Expense? Doesn't have to be expensive...lots of tanks available in the classified ads, often for free. It doesn't have to hold water even.

Just offering a suggestion that may help the bird...ignore it if you don't like it.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:31 am

Oh yeah, you don't watch my videos. In the video in the article I showed his set up... Guess that explains it.
Michael
Macaw

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales