Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel and night frights.

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Cockatiel and night frights.

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:45 pm

My 3-year-old cockatiel, Archimedes, has suffered night frights since I got him about a year ago and I presume he's had them longer. He has his own night-light and it seems to help him. However, he will still- at least once a month- freak out in the middle of the night and flop around his cage like a crazy bird. There doesn't even have to be any sound. He will just randomly fall from his perch and go nuts. He isn't seizing, it is more a frantic attempt to escape an unseen foe. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combat this? Would a snuggly sleep-tent or nest box help him feel more safe at night? I am afraid that if I get him a nest box he will freak out in there and injure himself.

Please help. :(
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiel and night frights.

Postby a.susz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:21 pm

tried a cover? not sure what else would work. my red belly will actually become flighty and have freights if i cover her cage at night. not sure why, i dont think she likes the close feeling the blanket gives her.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Ark » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:08 am

Cockatiels are a species that tend to be prone to night frights. Sometimes it can be from a sound, or from a moving shadow/light (like passing car lights shining into the room), or who knows what the bird senses that we can not preceive. You can try putting a night light by his cage, it may help him get his bearings faster if he does end up panicking. I use LED ones in my house so I don't have to keep turning lights on while I roam at night, they turn on automatically when the room goes dark. I also decided to put some in my bird room. I had never had a problem with night frights before, until last month or so there was an earthquake (or so they say, I didn't feel a thing. /lol). The night before, my birds were very restless and would not go to sleep. My African Grey had two night frights that night (for no reason obvious to me), I had to end up sleeping in their room with them because they just wouldn't settle. The next day it made more sense, they must have sensed the quake coming. That night, he was being wary of going in his cage for the night (maybe because he was feeling aftershocks). I put the night lights in and he seemed more reassured. Since having the night lights on, he hasen't had anymore frights. It may only have to do with that the stressor is gone, but at least if he does freak out again I hope the light will help him get his bearings faster. I do find that they fuss less after being put to bed now that the night lights are there. Where is your Cockatiel's cage located and do you cover him?
Ark
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Psittacus erithacus erithacus. Psittacus erithacus timneh.

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:14 am

a.susz wrote:tried a cover? not sure what else would work. my red belly will actually become flighty and have freights if i cover her cage at night. not sure why, i dont think she likes the close feeling the blanket gives her.

Yes, I only partly cover his cage though or he has them every night.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:17 am

Ark wrote:Cockatiels are a species that tend to be prone to night frights. Sometimes it can be from a sound, or from a moving shadow/light (like passing car lights shining into the room), or who knows what the bird senses that we can not preceive. You can try putting a night light by his cage, it may help him get his bearings faster if he does end up panicking... Where is your Cockatiel's cage located and do you cover him?

He has his own night light as I mentioned, and I do cover him but only part way or he has a fright every night. His cage is in the living room at night near my caique's cage, they tend to enjoy sleeping near one another. His frights have actually lessened since I put his cage there for the night, but he still gets them. :(
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby birdvet » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:03 am

I think you'll find a nestbox will create more problems for you as it will likely stimulate breeding behaviour in your bird. I'm afraid there is not much that can be done to fix the problem but you mentioned the frequency is decreasing so hopefully it will continue to do so and eventually just stop. I guess just make sure that there are no toys or objects in his cage that can cause serious injury when he freaks out. Night frights are a tough problem! Sorry, not super useful advice :macaw:
birdvet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Indian Ringneck, Crimson Wing Parakeet, Sun Conure,

Postby Ark » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:33 am

Sorry about that Azure, I had missed that in your original post. Happens sometimes when I'm up past midnight.
Ark
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Psittacus erithacus erithacus. Psittacus erithacus timneh.

Postby Rue » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:35 am

I had major problems with nighfrights - that included, in one major incident, two broken wings and beak (same bird, all at once)...

Then I stopped covering the cage entirely, and made sure there was some light available. I also used to announce myself if I got up in the night to go to the kitchen. I don't need to that anymore either...

It's been 18 years since I stopped covering the cage. And while they have spooked briefly on the rare occaision, it hasn't been an issue since...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Ark wrote:Sorry about that Azure, I had missed that in your original post. Happens sometimes when I'm up past midnight.

All good. It happens to me sometimes no matter what time of the day or night it is! :D
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:58 pm

Rue wrote:I had major problems with nighfrights - that included, in one major incident, two broken wings and beak (same bird, all at once)...

Then I stopped covering the cage entirely, and made sure there was some light available. I also used to announce myself if I got up in the night to go to the kitchen. I don't need to that anymore either...

It's been 18 years since I stopped covering the cage. And while they have spooked briefly on the rare occaision, it hasn't been an issue since...

I should try this and see if it helps too! Thank you everyone for the great advice. :)
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Next

Return to Parrot Tales