Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Extreme one-person aggression. Help! O.o

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Extreme one-person aggression. Help! O.o

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 am

My caique Galileo has no problem with stepping up to see other people, and is affectionate towards me (which took a few months of several hours a day of bonding time) and tolerates everyone else. Well... Today my dad came over to visit and she was calling to me to let her out to hang out with me.

I let her out and she started playing with me, which is something she has started doing the past week or so. (For the longest time she never played at all and would just sit there.) She started hopping around and playing with my cell phone, and went to my hand to hang up-side down and on my arm. Well we were having fun and she went over to check my dad out and I had her step up for me, and offered her to my dad.

Big mistake. Without any obvious warning signs whatsoever, she lunged at him. Like, mouth-open no hiss lunge. I know she meant to bite him, and I held my hand back slowly mind you, and she bit the bajeebus out of my hand. Blood, bruise, and all. I know she wasn't showing aggression towards me, but to my dad. I was able to get her back to her cage- with her still gnawing on my hand like she wanted to kill it- and gently told her no biting and literally the moment she realized I had her she stopped biting, hopped off my hand, and nuzzled me. I left her in the cage for a few hours after my dad left and got her out again and she was happy and cuddly again.

Am I safe to assume she will never ever ever like my dad? I just don't understand why she was so aggressive! She didn't act scared or anything. Did she maybe see my dad as a threat to ME and wanted to attack him? I am so confused... :shock:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Re: Extreme one-person aggression. Help! O.o

Postby Azure Hanyo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 pm

...Anyone?... Anyone?...

...Bueller?...
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby ptuga72 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:05 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1528

Have you already read Michael's article?
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:07 am

Why nooo...I haven't seen this. Thank you so much!!!! :mrgreen:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby a.susz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:06 pm

assuming this was in your home, where she is all the time, she now associates your house with her territory. any outsiders are viewed as a threat, and all shall die if trying to get to you! :lol:
unfortunately this occurs commonly, its hard to break and if you really want Galileo to go to other people, take it to neutral territory, i.e. the park, someone else's home, etc. and re-introduce socialization. This is why its so key to get birds to be able to at least step up for other people. I consider it an emergency preparedness, you never know if you aren't going to be home and someone is going to have to get your bird for you, and I'm not talking just house accidents(fires and stuff) I'm saying if you were to ever get sick or injured and need someone to go get your birds out of your home to care for them. not beating down on you at all, just my #1 thought on why socialization is key. I know its hard since you have a second hand bird, but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to handle the situation. ;)
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Azure Hanyo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:00 am

a.susz wrote: not beating down on you at all, just my #1 thought on why socialization is key. I know its hard since you have a second hand bird, but I'm sure you'll figure out a way to handle the situation. ;)

Oh you didn't sound like you were beating me down, you were very helpful! :) Oh and the "second-hand bird" thing literally cracked me up... I just pictured Galileo all worn out, with loose feathers all over the place and a fake beak taped to her face... Yeah I'm weird. :lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby a.susz » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 am

lol! :lol:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Return to Parrot Tales