Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Jabba is here

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Jabba is here

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hatch date was 15th May.

Sadly he doesnt seem to like me all that much at the moment. Flaps and squawks if I go near. :(

Will require some training and patience methinks.

Edit:

To give more info. First of all, i'm a bit pissed at the breeder. He stated (and had testimonials to the effect) that all his birds were microchipped and closed rung. Jabba has neither.
Jabba is supposed to be hand tame. In my attempt to move him from his carrier to his main cage he freaked out and flew off. I stood next to him and offered him a perch to stand on. He wasnt impressed.

If I go near his cage now he looks apprehensive. I will use Michaels methods to get him used to me I think. Bit of a sad start, but we shall overcome!
Ben
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: Jabba is here

Postby Kim S » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Jeesh Ben, thats a dissapointment! I can immagine how happy you were to finally get your little guy. But I am sure that you will turn him around in no time. :thumbsup:

Happy move-day Jabba!
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Rue » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:13 pm

Congrats on your new bird!

...and sometimes it pays to take it slowly...I generally suggest that you give a new bird a week to settle in...unless the bird decides it wants more immediate attention...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Amazingly the squawking has gone already. If I approach the cage now he just looks at me. He is currently destroying his new toys - I got me a shredder!

He is a healthy little bird, however I'm still a bit peeved at (and will be having words with) the breeder for the lack of ring and microchip.

Edit:

Any thoughts on the sex anyone? I know you like to guess. :)
Ben
Lovebird

Postby RichL001 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi Ben

Congratulations on getting your bird, Jabba is a quality name!! what made you think of that?? lol

I've got a Senegal Parrot named Jeeves, he too isnt rung, and was parent reared so he also wasnt particularly friendly with me! he doesnt bite, but he was scared to death of me and everyone, understandable for a parent reared bird!!

I decided that to get him used to me, i would move the cage to somewhere that i am most of the time. his cage is next to my desk so that when i sit at the desk, he is near, which i feel has made a big difference in how he is towards me!

i am now at the stage of getting him used to stepping on my hand, and i leave the cage door open so that he can come out whenever he is ready.

I would recommend (<-probably spelt wrong!), doing the same thing so that he (looks like a he from the picture due to the V stopping halfway down his chest) gets used to you being close to him and so he will know that you are not going to hurt him!, he should relax more when you are around the cage

Rich
RichL001
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby pchela » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:10 pm

I'm sorry that the breeder was unscrupulous. Why can't people just be honest? Anyway, as others have said, take it slow and he'll come around eventually. BTW - my guess is that you have a male.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Even more progress. Been chatting away to him and offering him little bits of veg through the bars which he is now taking.

He is also now whistling back at me when I talk to him. :D

Thanks for all the kind words, here are a few more pictures!

Ben
Lovebird

Postby el-parrot » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Congrats on Jabba being home now! Sorry to hear about the breeder, are you going to chip your baby yourself? maybe you can arrange that this will be paid by the breeder. Cute photos of your baby! Good luch with the training sessions!
el-parrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: budgie, lovebird, senegal parrot, quaker parrot, congo african grey parrot
Flight: No

Postby lainmai » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 pm

He might still be hand tame, but not chipped. He just might take some more time to settle in and then he may surprise you and turn out to be super friendly after all. Not all birds handle new places, new people, or new situations easily.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby HyperD » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Glad to hear you are making improvements already :)

Just remember to be patient... All going well he will live for 30+ years so a couple of months for taming is nothing...

However, I have had a thought, if a bird is not chipped or banded, how can you prove the bird is yours?

If you then want to get it chipped, what will they ask as proof?

And out of curiosity, which breeder did you get him from?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Next

Return to Parrot Tales