Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Random Story... Should I?

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Random Story... Should I?

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:20 am

Yeah this came out of nowhere. Some kid in the same complex where we live decided it was time to free his parrot because he didn't want it. My husband's friend saw the whole thing happen, and when the kid went inside she went over and picked the baby up. (she said she isn't sure what kind of bird it is, but from her description it sounds like a lovebird)

She offered to give us the bird. I am hesitant, because I am still working with Galileo and don't want to overwhelm myself with another fid right now. From what she says, the bird is extremely tame and likes to sit on her shoulder (she is keeping it in an old aquarium for now). What do you guys think? I mean I think I could handle it, but I have a lot on my plate right now and Galileo is a very jealous bird... I just am afraid she might see another flock member as a danger to her and my bond. I could always move the new bird into a separate room?... And then I need a new cage, I have been saving for a new one for Archimedes and have a decent amount (around $200). Could someone link me a good cage for a smaller parrot, too, please?

Gah. I don't know what to do! I do eventually want another bird but this is horrible timing! :shock:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Re: Random Story... Should I?

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:29 am

Hmm... if the bird is so tame and wonderful, why did he want to get rid of it? :shock:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Rue » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:49 am

The kid likely got bored of it. My 15-year son really like animals...but I knew when I let him get Raffi, she would end up being my bird...

The difference is that I let him get her, knowing I'd look after her when the novelty wore off...this other kid's parents likely don't care...

You could take the lovebird on as a 'foster'. See if she's the bird for you...and if not, find her a good home. That way she's safe and looked after properly regardless of how it turns out down the road...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Rrrma » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:52 am

Michael wrote:Hmm... if the bird is so tame and wonderful, why did he want to get rid of it? :shock:

maybe the kid had just finished watching "Free Willy" and got a wild hair up hit butt(as my mom would say) that his bird needed to be free too!
Sara, birdma to
Rosie(9), Vosmaeri Eclectus
Hardy(20+), Lilac Crown Amazon
Norma(14), Congo African Grey
Trinity(3) and Ginger(1), Normal Grey and White-faced Cinnamon Cockatiels
Rrrma
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Vosmaeri Eclectus, Lilac Crown Amazon, Congo African Grey, and 2 cockatiels(a normal grey and a white faced cinnamon)

Postby thegreatkatsby » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 am

I had a friend in college whose mother let her parakeet starve to death while she was on vacation once because she "hated pets". This mother also "accidentally" poured all her fish down the sink drain once. Very sad.

If it were me, I would absolutely take the bird in. For a few reasons, but most importantly because it needs a good home. I'm sure you could find a free or extremely cheap cage on craigslist.org for now (disinfect first!), and it could actually benefit Galileo to see a gentle/tame bird interact with you. As for flock hierarchy and jealousy, I found this article very insightful when deciding whether to adopt a second parrot: http://www.africangreys.com/articles/relationships/withmerlin.htm

Good luck deciding! Only you know what is right for your situation. :)
thegreatkatsby
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White-Capped Pionus
Meyers Parrot

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:17 am

Michael wrote:Hmm... if the bird is so tame and wonderful, why did he want to get rid of it? :shock:

I was wondering the SAME THING!!! My husband's friend (named Robin...lol funny how she found the bird) said that the kid was probably 7 or 8. Now WHY a 7 or 8 year old would have a bird... I don't know. This kid's parents should be turned into Animal Services.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:26 am

Rue wrote: You could take the lovebird on as a 'foster'. See if she's the bird for you...and if not, find her a good home. That way she's safe and looked after properly regardless of how it turns out down the road...

I just know if I "foster" it I would keep it. I just couldn't get rid of it! I have an old budgie cage that I use as a travel carrier I could keep it in temporarily until I find a decent cage. The little cage is horribly small and I would never use it even for a budgie (i.e. those itty-bitty $15 cages they sell at Walmart and say are the perfect size for parakeets, lovebirds, and finches... :roll: )

I am thinking of going over there to at least see the bird before I make a decision, at least that way I would know the species for sure, and if he even likes me. I wish I could introduce him to Archimedes, but before quarantine I wouldn't dare.

Sigh. My husband is gonna kill me I just know it... He said "Whatever, if you want it take it but I don't want anything to do with it... it will probably bite me anyway just like Galileo." :lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby thegreatkatsby » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 am

Azure Hanyo wrote:He said "Whatever, if you want it take it but I don't want anything to do with it... it will probably bite me anyway just like Galileo." :lol:

This could be a great opportunity for him to fall in love with a gentle/tame bird! My bets are that soon enough she'll/he'll be "his" bird. ;)
thegreatkatsby
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White-Capped Pionus
Meyers Parrot

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:02 pm

Hahaha... I just called Robin and she sounded hesitant about me stopping by to see the bird and maybe take it home with me. Guess what? The bird has a home already! She apologized profusely for backing out of offering her to me, but I told her I really didn't mind and was glad the bird has a home.

She is calling the bird "Sophie". Robin had a ton of questions and I told her about the forum. Apparently, she had been feeding it wild bird feed before today (she said she got Sophie yesterday afternoon). This morning she went to the pet store and saw a peach-faced love bird there and said that Sophie was definitely a love bird, and asked the people there what they fed their lovies and bought her food, a cage, toys and a book on love birds.

And she said that if I want the bird I have to give her a million dollars, and even then she would steal her back when I wasn't looking. :lol:

I am so happy for her!!! What an awesome story for them!!!!

:swaying:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 pm

...Now I want a love-bird...

:lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Next