Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

That didn't last long.

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: That didn't last long.

Postby pchela » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:06 pm

Does he let you pick him up without a struggle? If he does, he was probably hand fed. I've found that most of the non hand fed lovebirds I've met are very cautious of hands and take a lot of training to get them to step up or allow you to handle them. Of course, there is always the rare baby that is fine with people even without hand feeding. Do you know what she paid for him? That might be an indication as to whether he was hand fed or not.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:47 pm

pchela wrote:Does he let you pick him up without a struggle? If he does, he was probably hand fed. I've found that most of the non hand fed lovebirds I've met are very cautious of hands and take a lot of training to get them to step up or allow you to handle them. Of course, there is always the rare baby that is fine with people even without hand feeding. Do you know what she paid for him? That might be an indication as to whether he was hand fed or not.

He lets my hand get close, and when I try to get him to step up he flies off. He doesn't seem afraid of me though, so I'm not sure. :? I don't want to mess with him too much today, I am letting him take it easy. But she said she got him from Jack's, the local petstore, for $160! :shock: Crazy money for a lovie that she simply GAVE to me.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby pchela » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:03 pm

If he was $160 then he was certainly being sold as a hand fed baby! Since he's traumatized it'll probably be a while before he lets his guard down though. Either way, I'm sure you'll have the patience to get him tame if he's not already!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby thegreatkatsby » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:25 pm

Well, that certainly solidifies my impression of lovebirds as aggressive and dangerous to house together (although I agree that it is completely erroneous to place two birds who are unfamiliar with each other in a cage together)!

Good luck with your new little friend! I would definitely give him/her some time to relax after his/her traumatic experience before training. Lots of quiet, relaxing "get to know you" time. I personally don't think birds are ready to work with a new owner for a few weeks after being adopted anyhow (need to adjust to new home and feel comfortable), but I'd be open to other thoughts on that from someone with lots of experience adopting and raising parrots.
thegreatkatsby
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White-Capped Pionus
Meyers Parrot

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:51 pm

There is one nice thing- the petstore doesn't know how to clip bird wings, because they clipped like four of the primary feathers on one wing and that was all. He flies around in his cage a bit, but it is small so he can't do it much... I need another flight cage methinks. :?

Tonight Cloud is much calmer than this morning; he is peeping more and even playing with his toys! I think he will be fine to work with targeting in a few days. I am excited to get to know him, he's a little ball of energy! I am so surprised, I was expecting him to be cowering in fear, but he is climbing around and looking at everyone with obvious interest, no fear at all. He even stopped shaking already. I am still going to let him take it easy- that kind of trama can't be good for him, and I don't want him to associate me or my husband with undo stress.

Sigh. Wish us luck!!!! :D
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:44 pm

And he seems to be using his foot more too, though carefully. The vet still definitely needs to check him out to be sure its OK.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Previous

Return to Parrot Tales