Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

That didn't last long.

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

That didn't last long.

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:27 am

So I am sure some of you remember this post... viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2992

Apparently Robin thought it would be a great idea- after the pet-store people told her she should- to buy a second lovebird to be "friends" with Sophie. So she bought a baby lovebird to put in with it.
:roll:

So...Sophie attacked the hell out of the baby, pulling feathers so much the baby started bleeding, and Robin put the baby into an aquarium. I went and picked him up, and have him in Archimedes' old dinky cage for now until I can find a home for him or decide to keep him, if he takes to me or my husband.

Can someone link me how to post pictures please? I can't seem to find a way. I want to show everyone the end result of what can happen if you buy a "friend" for your bird. It isn't pretty. The poor little guy. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, just to be sure he is going to be OK but he seems pretty fiesty. Lucky little guy!!!! I am surprised Sophie didn't kill him, honestly. I am calling it a he only because it looks like a he to me...?

Yeah...I guess if we keep him I won't have to do any research on linnies or a second cockatiel anymore... That's the bright side, eh? :lol: Just kidding... I am just glad he didn't get murdered by Sophie. I guess she is a lovie who hates other lovies???? I don't know... But I was pretty mad and told Robin not to get anymore lovebirds, because Sophie will be just fine and dandy with her for attention. Let's see how well she listens. And she has a tiny cage for Sophie too. I should have just taken the bird when she first offered it to me instead of sitting on the idea, as maybe she wouldn't have tried keeping her without knowing what she was doing in the first place.

:cry:

EDIT NOTE: As Rue points out, there are much safer ways to introduce birds to one another than to just stick them into a cage together and hope for the best. See her response below. :)
Last edited by Azure Hanyo on Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Re: That didn't last long.

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:48 am

To post photos you need to have the photo online somewhere -- a personal webpage, Photbucket, Flickr, Facebook, etc. You find the direct link to your image and copy the link into your post and bracket it with Img tags the way you bracket a weblink with URL tags. Then the picture will be displayed inside your post. But the real trick is that it has to be hosted online somewhere.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Thank you entranced. Here is the best pic I could get without stressing him too much:

He looks reeeally young to me, but I have little experience with lovies. He has a bit of trouble perching too. I will upload a video later now that I know how. I think his foot is injured, but I don't want to scare him too much to look. :(
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby pchela » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Poor little guy. :(

Yeah, lovies can be extremely aggressive. It's just not a good idea to keep two birds in one cage anyway, especially a known aggressive species. I hope he will be okay and I hope he takes a liking to your husband!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:00 pm

pchela wrote:Poor little guy. :(

Yeah, lovies can be extremely aggressive. It's just not a good idea to keep two birds in one cage anyway, especially a known aggressive species. I hope he will be okay and I hope he takes a liking to your husband!

...I do too!!!!.... I secretly wanna keep him. He is so cute! I've been calling him Cloud (his feather color...er...reminds me of someone...) Here is a pic of him cuddling a blanket. I stroked his head for awhile after I took the last pic and he fell asleep. Awwwww! <3

Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Poor little guy. I'm glad he wasn't hurt even worse.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:26 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Poor little guy. I'm glad he wasn't hurt even worse.

Me too. I am so mad, I even TOLD her not to get another one. But she went and listened to some kid at the pet store who just wanted to sell, sell, sell... This poor little baby!
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Rue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:48 pm

...a 2nd parrot isn`t such a bad idea...BUT,

She needed to quarantine Sophie from the baby for |6 weeks...then they would need at least a weeks worth of `introduction` - ie. side-by-side in neighbouring cages...then they would need supervised `out` time for a while...THEN maybe they could be housed together...

Didn`t she ask any questions about that?

Regardless...congrats on YOUR new baby!!! :thumbsup:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:58 pm

Rue wrote:...a 2nd parrot isn`t such a bad idea...BUT,

She needed to quarantine Sophie from the baby for |6 weeks...then they would need at least a weeks worth of `introduction` - ie. side-by-side in neighbouring cages...then they would need supervised `out` time for a while...THEN maybe they could be housed together...

Didn`t she ask any questions about that?

Regardless...congrats on YOUR new baby!!! :thumbsup:

No, she didn't ask any questions of me at all about safely introducing birds to one another, and I don't know WHAT she asked the people at the pet store. She just called me this morning to tell me what happened with the baby, and asked me to come take him. I guess she just stuck him in with Sophie and heard the attack happen very soon thereafter. :cry: Poor little baby!

...And I am almost positive Cloudy is here to stay. I am going to let him settle in and then start target training. Robin said he was hand-fed, but I don't think I will know if there is truth to that or not until a few days and the stress of his attack have passed. And then I will start to work with him as often as possible. I still wish it could have happened several months from now, but meh. What can you do? It isn't his fault and I'm not going to give him to someone who won't take care of him, so I doubt I would ever find a good "rehome" anyway.

(...Does my argument sound good for when I tell my husband we have a new bird?...)
:lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Rue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Works for me! :thumbsup:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Next

Return to Parrot Tales