Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Good Bird!

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Good Bird!

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm becoming more and more impressed with Scotty. He did two remarkable things this morning. (Am I turning into a crazy bird lady?)

The first thing that happened was that he managed to deposit an enormous poop on a perch and then step in it. That wasn't one of the remarkable things. But since he eats with his feet, we kind of figured we'd better clean him up. Bill wasn't feeling well, so I volunteered to do the deed. Scotty came not used to baths except reluctant spraying, so we weren't sure how he'd do with foot-washing.

The first remarkable thing was that when I picked him up, he lost his footing and slipped (his nails are super short) and he caught himself with his beak. Somehow I wound up with 310grams of Cape Parrot dangling from my finger by the beak and HE DIDN'T HURT ME AT ALL! He was very careful.

The second remarkable thing was that he let me put him under the tap and wash his foot. He wasn't entirely happy about it, and he made grumbly vocalizations and kept trying to perch on the faucet, but in the end the foot got clean and he never really tried to make me stop.

Bill says Scotty luuuuuuvs me, and it might be true. I feel a bit bad about it. He likes Bill fine, but the birdies keep gravitating toward me. I'm trying to pay less attention to him and let Bill do everything, but I think I luuuuuuuv him back.

I can't believe some of the store employees were scared of him! He apparently terrorized the cage cleaner and one of the general storefront women was way scared of him, too. I will say that part of his trust building deal seemed to be allowing him to explore me with his beak and tongue. Maybe that scares people? It was almost as if he figured if he was going to allow a gigantic creature that could crush him in a second to carry him around, the least I could do was trust him not to bite me. Am I just over anthropomorphizing?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Good Bird!

Postby lzver » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well with Scotty.

And no you're not crazy ... to us anyways ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:59 pm

I must tell you, it's quite the same over here. Everything you talked about (pooping in bad places, stepping in it, foot washing, dangling by beak, beaking and feeling) I had gone through with Truman. I guess it's a cape parrot thing! :mrgreen:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Michael wrote:I must tell you, it's quite the same over here. Everything you talked about (pooping in bad places, stepping in it, foot washing, dangling by beak, beaking and feeling) I had gone through with Truman. I guess it's a cape parrot thing! :mrgreen:

That's good to know! I shall now be memorizing the blog... :lol:
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Tales