Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

R.I.P My Beautiful Furbie... :'(

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

R.I.P My Beautiful Furbie... :'(

Postby paper_lantern » Fri May 11, 2012 10:05 pm

As I'm typing this, I can't stop crying. I'm a mess, I've been hysterical for hours and I don't know what to do with myself.

My little baby Furbie is dead....and he wasn't even a year old. It was such a freak accident too. I don't know how to handle this...I keep thinking I'm going to hear his voice call out "Allo" (french for Hello) when I walk into the room but instead I'm greeted with silence.

Nobody understands why I'm so distraught, they all think he was just a bird but he wasn't, he was my friend and my baby. I treated him like a child and he was with me every single day. Has anyone here lost a bird? Was it this hard for you to deal with it?

I had him on my shoulder as I was cutting up some veggies for his supper. He flew off my shoulder and tried to fly into the bathroom just as my mom was shutting the bathroom door. It killed him on impact, I'm assuming it broke his neck. I held him in my arms after he passed and told him how much I loved him, I hope wherever he is he knows how much I loved him.

How am I supposed to get over this? Will I ever be able to love another parrot?
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain
paper_lantern
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: R.I.P My Beautiful Furbie... :'(

Postby GlassOnion » Fri May 11, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm so sorry to hear :( I can't even imagine losing my Apple...
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby paper_lantern » Fri May 11, 2012 11:35 pm

Oh glass onion, I hope nobody ever has to go through losing a bird like this. There are so many things running through my mind...if I had put him in his cage a few minutes earlier he would be alive now, if I hadn't decided to make supper at that moment he would be alive now. Because I wasn't expecting it I didn't get to say goodbye, did it hurt him at all? Did he think I hurt him on purpose?

I'm sorry, I'm ranting. I just need to let it out because my heart is so broken...
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." - Mark Twain
paper_lantern
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pomlover2586 » Sat May 12, 2012 2:04 am

First of all ::Hugs:: It is never easy to lose a beloved pet- even when you know it's coming and have time to say goodbye. Sudden losses are even harder to endure. You did NOTHING wrong. I am sure Furbie was having fun and thought "Hey mom! Look what I can do!" When an animal breaks their neck the death is instant- they feel no pain or suffering. Furbie was well loved, and he KNEW that. Love for any animal is more than most animals ever get, and Furbie was one lucky bird. Be gentle with yourself and try to remember the happy times. It's not goodbye- just see you later. You'll see him again :cockatiel:
Iago- WBC
Zazu- BHC
Pomlover2586
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Bellied Caique, Black Headed Caique
Flight: No

Postby pennyandrocky » Sat May 12, 2012 5:03 am

i'm so sorry,i lost my :amazon: last winter and i'll always miss him.yes you can love another i adopted mya :corella: last summer and i love her very much she can never replace cebal :amazon: but she helps to heal the pain i felt,i don't even know what happened he was fine all day playing with my son cuddling with me penny :gcc: had just taught him to give me kisses.when i went to put him to bed he wouldn't let go of me,i'll always feel guilty for not holding him til the end i just have to remind myself i didn't know it was going to be the last day.you did nothing wrong.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby marie83 » Sat May 12, 2012 7:13 am

Your story made me cry, it brings back so many memories of losing mine under different circumstances, some were rescued and sick. One I assume got night fright as i found her dead with a broken neck the next day at less than one year old. My peach front had an accident and got caught up on his bell. When I found him he was hanging by his beak, he was still alive and I immediately took his weight in my hand and struggled to unclip the bell with the other hand. He had to go to the vets to get it removed as I couldn't slide it back off and I was worried I might damage his beak. The vet couldnt do it either and had to put him under. He started looking like he was making a good recovery but died shortly afterwards. For weeks and weeks afterwards I was blaming myself for putting the damn bell in his cage, for not checking it more thoroughly or more often for safety, for not finding him sooner etc.

As hard as it is to hear right now it gets easier, I now realise I did everything I could to prevent that accident apart from leaving him with no toys at all but what sort of life would he of had then? He may well still be here but he would be one unhappy bird. I always check toys when I put toys in the cage, when I take them back out again and every few days in between. I had checked that toy only the day before for splits in the chain and I'm pretty certain there wasn't any.

Realisticly what could you have done different? I dont think you could have done ANYTHING different. Clip his wings or leave him locked in a cage? What sort of life would he have had then? He was loved, he was looked after and you did what you could to keep him happy for the time you had him and that is what matters. What I'm trying to say is you have nothing to be guilty for but everything to be proud of, not every parrot owner is so caring. Please ignore other people too, they probably do understand more than they let on but it brings back hard emotions for them to deal with hence the I dont care attitude as they try to sweep it back under the carpet

I know its hard right now but give yourself time to grieve, you don't need to be thinking about loving other parrots right now but one day you will be able to love the bird just as much whilst keeping the love in your heart for Furbie.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. Please keep talking to us if you need to and know we do understand.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby cml » Sat May 12, 2012 1:36 pm

I am so sorry for your loss :( , dont blame yourself!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby liz » Sat May 12, 2012 3:13 pm

I am so sorry. I am crying with you. I have lost pets but birds are our babies. I recently lost my :greycockatiel: Twinkle. She was the baby of my cockatiel flock at only about 2 years old. I miss her. She was such a sweet little girl.

When they are gone we are left with gaps in our lives. I now have :greycockatiel: baby Bindi. She is a good Bindi but I still have the gap from Twinkle.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby animal_lover » Sat May 12, 2012 6:22 pm

So sorry for your loss. Listen to the above posts...don't blame yourself..you loved your little one dearly...clearly apparent from other posts..
Take care
Animal lover :meyers:
animal_lover
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot
Flight: No

Postby terri » Sat May 12, 2012 7:13 pm

Im soo sorry about your Furbie. Im tearing as I read your post . I know how you feel about your bird [its almost a humanlike connection for me ] But you should know . I bet you took the best care of him . Its people like you that really should have birds .Think of all the birds out there that need to be loved like that. :)
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Next

Return to Parrot Tales