Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Perches

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Perches

Postby Paypay603 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:45 pm

I have heard some different opinions about wooden perches. One, don't use one with bark on it. Another is its OK to use with bark if you bake it and kill any bugs that might be in it.
Paypay603
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Waiting for my baby.
Flight: No

Re: Perches

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:37 pm

I like the real thing: tree branches that are uneven, crooked, with bark on them and even little branches that come off the main one. It's what nature decreed that birds should use so that's what I use.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Like Pajarita said, use natural branches and not factory made dowels that come with cages. They are too smooth and straight and have no variation in diameter or texture. If the bird uses these for too long, they can develop sores or bumblefoot. I also like to use rope perches because they are soft and give the bird's feet a break while still providing variation. Cement or mineral perches can also be used, but place them in an area, such as the bottom of the cage, where the bird won't be spending all its time because they can be rough on their feet and cause sores if the bird only uses these perches. Avoid plastic perches also because they have the same effect as the dowels.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Budgie

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:20 am

You can make wooden dowels more useful by using a Dremel tool or other grinding, sanding device to make the surface irregular.
(Hat tip to Wolf for that idea. I've done it to dozens of dowels now)
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:41 am

That's very interesting! I just have to try that because I have all these dowels that came with my cages lying around and I don't know what to do with them! I just assembled a new cage for an upcoming parrot (a green cheek conure) and now I have several more dowels collecting dust.
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 am

I normally use one single dowel perch in the little ones cages (like the canaries and the finches) for variety and nothing else. I use the rest of the dowels as sticks for carrying birds from one point to another (I have them all over the house so I don't have to go looking for one when I need it). I do not recommend cement, sand or mineral perches, I use sweetfeet instead. They serve the same function (filing down the nails naturally) but they are very light (plastic), easy to wash and, most importantly!, they have a smooth surface where the 'sole' of the bird's feet go.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Trick or 'Tiel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Where can you get sweetfeet perches? I keep one mineral perch in each cage, but my birds don't even use them very much. Also, for transporting birds, why don't you just use your hand? Is it because you're worried you'll get bitten?
Trick or 'Tiel
Conure

Postby liz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:26 am

I use branches with the bark still on. They like to be the ones to take the bark off. I cut them to the proper length and drill a hole in each end. Using a metal bottle cap as a washer I screw it through the cage wire to hold it in place. The bottle cap is big enough to screw through and can be sized to work with any cage wire.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:42 am

Trick or 'Tiel wrote:Where can you get sweetfeet perches? I keep one mineral perch in each cage, but my birds don't even use them very much. Also, for transporting birds, why don't you just use your hand? Is it because you're worried you'll get bitten?

I get the sweetfeet perches at ABBA but I would assume you can get them in any specialized bird store - and I know for a fact they sell them online (see this: https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Feet-Beak- ... et+perches).

I can use my hands with some birds but not all (all my birds are rehomes and some are not people friendly) but I mostly use the dowels because they are very long (I have four that are 3 ft long) and it allows my to reach birds that are perching up high (the top of the kitchen cabinets, the curtain rods, the top of the highest canary cage, etc) or to reach into the kitchen from the dining room without opening the gate that separates them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:47 pm

That company makes a lot of different perches. Nick has one that is some sort of concrete, but smooth on top and textured on the sides.

Just be aware that the perch pictured can only go on vertical bars. If you put th on horizontal bars the rough part is on top which defeats the whole purpose of that perch.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to Introductions